Packing it in 2017...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Has anyone started taking down Christmas decor yet? I feel like it is early days but I keep eyeballing everything out of the corner of my eye, lol

What I really don't want is to have the upstairs turned back into a complete disaster again - it's pretty under control for the moment. Which will change as soon as I start pulling out boxes to put things away, sigh....

I've been trying to give some thought to what items I want to keep handy for working on over the coming year. For example, I have all supplies to rework the three outdoor wreaths in only red ornaments and mesh ribbon - so I think I should make a point to keep all those things together and near the front of the stacks of items when all is finally put away.

I also need to make sure wrapping supplies don't get buried.

Would love to hear what others are tackling as we move through the de-decorating process! Do you leave up some white lights for a while? Put out snowmen or other wintery things?

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I keep the wrapping paper, bows ribbon and name tags in one of those tall wrapping paper totes and keep that in our closet. Boxes, bags and tissues paper are in another tote that goes up into the attic. I just cleaned and re-organized both of those totes yesterday and threw out anything in poor condition.

All the inside Christmas decorations will come down sometime between this weekend and Tuesday. I go back to work on the 3rd and would like it all cleaned up before I go back to work.

There are some things I want to work on over spring and summer so those items will be stored in a tote and kept in the garage.

I have a tote of snowman stuff that .. some off them get put up at Christmas and the rest will go up once all the Christmas comes down. We will leave the icicle lights, light up snowman and light reindeer up out side until the beginning of March but the rest will come down once it warms back up enough to be able to do so. For the next 10 days the temps are not forecasted to be higher then the 20s but will feel like single digits and teens when factoring in the wind chill factor.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We took down everything yesterday. I used to leave everything up until after the New Year but the older I get, I find the sooner I want it down. So in the past 5 years or so, it's all come down pretty soon after Christmas, like within a few days. I find that I want my house back in order and things clean and ready for the New Year. I leave nothing out, everything gets packed away.

This year we went through just about all the wrapping paper I bought. I also threw away a good chunk of older decorations that I didn't use when we put the ones that we did use away. I knew that I wouldn't use them in this house and i'm tired of hauling things all over the country. It's time to be ruthless with getting rid of stuff since we are only allowed so much weight in household goods.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
The tree is still up and will be til January 2nd. But the rest of the stuff is down and packed away. Christmas plates, bowls, glasses etc are also gone but not away as yet- they will be after I run the whole lot through the dishwasher in a bulk lot. I wash as I go but like to do them all together and then pack away together. The assortment of Christmas clothing is in my room, clean and ready to be packed. Also with them is the Christmas linen etc.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
As I host on NY's Eve everything stays up until the 2nd.... wish I hosted on the 24th instead! I'd leave the tree up but would put away the rest.
  • I keep wrapping paper and bows in a box in the basement. the rest goes up in the attic.
  • The elves get stored in a closet where they can be taken out whenever is needed.
  • Christmas dvds are in 2 boxes that stay in the guest room for Rudy days
  • Christmas cups stay in the cabinet but are put in the back of it.
  • The advent calendar is also kept in a closet as I TRY to fill it up slowly before Christmas.
  • Stockings stay in the same closet so they can be filled as soon as I have all I need for them.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I will take Christmas down the weekend of the 6th. I will leave greens on the hutch and stairs....I like the white lights for the month of January. I'll add snowmen, too. I use snowflakes in a lot of my decor, so it can stay.

My attic is organized with shelves. Everything goes into totes and totes are arranged by seasons. Wrapping paper, bows and tissue go into two wrapping paper organizers, which are kept on a shelf too.

I usually repair anything before putting it away. I'll fluff things and change needed ribbons when I take it out next year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD is having a party for NYE so everything will stay up until then.
I would usually have things put away by now.
I will double check everything before putting it in the totes. Anything I don't absolutely love I will donate. I try and pack carefully to avoid breakages.
I then need to tidy the spare room where the wrapping paper, cards, tags and bags all live in the cupboard. I will reuse some of the gift bags from this Christmas so as more is unpacked I can just put them away.

I have bought a wreath that I will keep out all year and decorate for the holidays throughout the year. The first holiday will be January 26th which is Australia Day.

Looking forward to having everything put away so that I can start the year fresh.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I love the white lights, greens, and snowman decor ideas!

I leave up Christmas decor until after Jan 1.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Everything is coming down slowly...all must be down by early next week since we're heading to FL on Thursday.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We have DS and family here for another couple of days. I will begin taking down Christmas once they are on the road.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Everything is coming down slowly...all must be down by early next week since we're heading to FL on Thursday.
Enjoy FL!!!! :D

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Decor starts slowly going away the week between Christmas and New Years. An item at a time as I go back and forth across the house throughout my day. Tree doesn't come down til after New Years.

This year my #1 boxing priority: Separate the ribbons for the tree from the ribbons for the gifts. I use wired ribbon for both and this year it took forever to get them sorted.

My #2 Priority: Separate the gift labels by name. I was in such a rush this year I didn't have time to dig through them so everyone got sharpie names written on them. Really that works fine but we do have some really nice labels that we - re-use each year and the kids always get excited when they see a present tucked under the tree with one of their labels on it.

This year I discovered the usefulness of a beach chair in my wrapping and stuffing. Was trying out an expensive beach chair to see if I wanted to get a set of them for the family. Decided I had to spend time in it to find out if my back would hurt, so I parked it in front of the tv while prepping my stuffers and watched a 2 -hour movie. Well that was the BEST thing because I was down low and could spread stuff all over the floor and still sit comfortably without my back hurting. I'll be doing that from now on! So this is how I'll be sorting my ribbons and labels too.

Reactions: PamelaG

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I just finished getting all the kitchen decor down and put away. I just have to put my Spode dishes in the box.

I've already started a box for items that I plan to sell at a yard sale. If I don't love it, use it, or want to keep for my kids it is going.

I'm just taking my time. Tree will probably come down on Saturday. My mom always kept the tree up for my sister's birthday (the 5th) and for "Little Christmas"/Epiphany on the 6th. I always enjoy taking it down on New Year's but we are enjoying the lights on this dreary New Year's Day! I don't mind taking everything else down today though!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mine is all gone away and the house is "back to normal". It took all day to put it away but I am glad that it is done. The house looks fresh with it all gone and now I have space to start my cleaning.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i havent taken down anything , next weekend it will come down. leave the snowman out till the end of jan,-first of feb

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Its all away now- except for the few outside lights we do. We dont go overboard and just use solar lights. I just ran out of time today then we had a late afternoon summer storm and they all got wet- I will leave them for a fine, hot day- probably tomorrow as I dont want to put away wet lights.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The bulk of decor is down and put away!

I haven't taken down outside decor yet but it won't take long. Just a few wreaths and 4 swags. The weather is just frigid right now and I'm in no huge hurry :)

We'll need to get one of the big ladders cleaned off from laying in snow outside and bring that in to take down the big wreath in the high window.

I left the decor in place above kitchen cabinets because it is really winter neutral...greenery, white lights, pinecones, white ceramic pieces and a snowman, etc.

I left greenery and white lights on high living room shelf as well but swapped out Christmas decor items for neutral ones. And I took down carolers arrangement over living room closet but left the "snow" and greenery with white lights and moved a big fat stuffed snowman in their place - looks very cozy!

I will leave all that up for another month or so I think. Just love the white lights at night!

I've decided I need more snowmen/wintery type things to use during this transitional time. I used to have a lot more of that sort of thing before the fire and have just never replaced.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All decor is down and in the basement. dh will take up to the attic. He will take down the lights from the Christmas tree outside too.. whenever.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
All of mine is still up since DD and housemate were here through yesterday. I'll work on getting it all put away by this weekend. I only have window wreaths outside, and it's been so cold, those will stay until Saturday when it's supposed to be warm. They go in the storage shed.

I have a tall tote for the wrapping paper. It goes in the storage shed, too. Tissue paper, ribbon, name tags, and bags go in an under the bed tote in the guest bedroom. It's already put away. Greenery will stay out until March or so.

I love the snowmen for winter, but I don't have many. Each year, I say I'll work on it, but haven't. I don't ever find any that are just what I want. I have some reindeer that I use all winter, though, on top of the entertainment center.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MissJane, I love snowmen, my mum loves Santas. I have a few snowmen but keep them out just for Christmas as it is a pain to unpack the totes in Winter to bring them out. Might have to save a few next year so that I can decorate in Winter.