Permission to relax and know Christmas will still be fine

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I'm way behind in the HGP. It's the worst I've done since I started nine years ago and I am disappointed. My house is a real mess and this Christmas will be unusual. I have no decorating done, my cards are sitting here still in the boxes, the homemade gifts didn't get finished, little shopping is completed, we haven't baked, etc. And you know what? Today I decided that's okay!

It's been unexpectedly busy around here this week. DMIL broke her hip this week and is hospitalized, DD had both eyes surgically repaired, DM is secumbing to cancer, DH is bed-bound most of the time, my work (from home thankfully!) is crazy, etc. When we go out it's to an appointment and although I steal minutes here and there to get some things done, there's no time for excess "stuff". I barely get grocery shopping done.

We're going to have a pared down, very simple Christmas. Which is saying something because our Christmases aren't extravengant anyway. I'm going to put up a teeny-tiny tree I grabbed at Walmart, gift bag the presents I have, and relax. And you know what? It's going to be fine!

DD and DH are healing, DMIL will eventually be home and we'll have Christmas there in January, no one needs anything so the few presents are fine, and we have each other. Our older children and grandchildren will have to wait until I can mail their packages, but it will extend the season for them.

I'm going to recoup my energy this coming week, take the pressure off making Christmas what I think it should be and instead, be thankful for everything I have. I know my mom won't be here next Christmas, but if I focus on what's most important I will be able to spend a lot of her remaining time with her and helping DF to take care of her.

I feel extremely liberated today. Christmas will be what it most represents to us anyway- God's gift of love and sacrifice given freely to those who believe. I think this might turn out to be a most memorable Christmas - so positive we cherish the memories forever.

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Permission granted! Wow! What a time you are having! I think a quiet Christmas under the circumstances sounds like a wonderful plan. I remember one year we moved in December and I was so frazzled that we moved the whole thing to New Years. It was so liberating! (AND we got to take advantage of the after-Christmas sales). I know I have that plan in my back-pocket if things ever go south.

Good luck with the healing and be proud that you are able to say when enough is enough!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good luck to you sew-n-sew. You're having very trying times and a simple Christmas might just be the best answer and the most wonderful one yet.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sew-and-sew -- your post is one of the best posts that I have ever read! My compliments to you, for your wisdom, and for your beautiful, loving words! You are supporting your family members with love and caring! Their needs are so many.... that you are stretch beyond belief, trying to take care of them. You protect them with love -- they do not need a box tied with ribbons - to demonstrate that you love them.

What they DO need -- is for you to be able to go on -- to go on giving them all the care and support. In order to do this -- you must replenish your own self. The old saying: you cannot pour out of an empty pitcher.

And - here is a personal thank-you from me to you, sew-and-sew! I am inside today - because of the giant east coast snowstorm. The house does not have one single surface that doesn't have clutter on it. This would be a perfect day to work busily -- making everything orderly -- right? So, am I? Nope!

For some reason -- I am really tired today. (Maybe it was baby-sitting for dgs late last night. Maybe it is cumulative from all kinds of things.) And -- I am NOT doing any cleaning, organizing -- not anything. Sometimes.... the most important thing to do is to rest. So that we CAN live to work another day.

And - what a wonderful gift you are giving to your mother --- the gift of putting other things aside to spend time with her. I pray that God's peace and joy surround you, and your family!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
This post made me cry because to me it says:Love of family is the most important thing.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Kudos to you realizing that you don't have to have it how it is in the movies!! You have done a great job realizing what is important and what Christmas is about!

I am saying a prayer thar your whole family is healthy and happy next Christmas :)

Kelly

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, I've been there. 2 years ago, I was horribly sick, my father was near death and snow storm after snow storm kept me at work for 4 weekends in a row. Needless to say, Christmas that year was on the 26th, rather then the 25th and it was exactly what I needed to regroup. Just do what needs to be done. This year, I've been lucky with everything going as planned, but many years it has not. And in the end, I remember them all the same. Good luck dearie!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Sew-n-sew, thanks so much for your very wise post! You certainly have your priorities in order and you really inspired me.

Continue taking care of yourself and your dear family!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Absolutely - we all have permission. Just do whatever we do do with love and it will be fine.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
sew-n-sew, your post was wonderfully put. You deserve a break. Enjoy and let it be. I hope your MIL gets along okay as well as the rest of your family. Your mother will be in my prayers. Take the time with her now. If you have any questions about family or whatever ask her now. (write it down if need be) Things I would like to know now or if I was told can't remember and my dad, and grandparents are gone. Step mom and she knows alot but like in the times before her.

I wish you a Blessed, Peaceful Holiday Season!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
You are so smart to realize that we don't have to craft the perfect gift or cook the ideal meal...and it's all ok! I'll bet you look back on this Christmas fondly in the years to come! Good for you, God bless you and oh, yes-Merry Christmas!!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As i'm glad you have this christmas to make memories and that's all that is important is family,as i lost both parents mom has been gone two and a half years and dad just a year it's a tough holiday here as well as i miss them dearly.What gets me by is having those memories and remembering all those treasured moments as christmas to me is family which is the greatest gift any of us could have.::eek:rnament::heartbeat:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
sew-n-sew, if anyone has earned the right to relax, it is YOU, Darlin'! Bless your heart. Just enjoy what you can and don't worry about anything else. it is being together that is important. God bless.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Sew-n-Sew - My heart goes out to you. You are wonderfully wise during these hard times. Your family must be so blessed to have you in their lives. Merry, merry Christmas however and whenever you decide.

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I want to thank all of you for your messages of support. We had a very quiet Christmas at home with just DH and the youngest children. We have never been home for Christmas Day in all our years of marriage; and sure, if it had been on purpose we would have done things differently. I had a relaxing day and took note to appreciate all the good things in my life.