Planning Dinners

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Last week Mrs. Soup made mentioned the wonder of the working women managing to get dinner on their tables for their families.

And, I notice that, as well.
Some of you serve a sit down, family dinner nightly. And it's not a packaged, frozen dinner. It's a dinner with a main dish and at least a couple sides.

How do you do this?

What are your tips?

How do you plan?

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Look forward to seeing the replies to this :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I tried to do a monthly planner last year but it fell away slowly. A weekly plan works best for me. So on Saturday or Sunday I take stock of the fridge, freezer and weekly sales to plan for the week.
I usually plan for the first 4 days of supper. Friday is always up for grabs. I like casseroles that just need reheating. I cook on Mondays (before I had Mondays off it was on Sundays) at least 1 piece of meat with which I can do 2 different meals and prep them. For example this week I cooked a ham for Monday night, tonight will be spaghetti (easy-peasy) and I also made a big veggie soup, tomorrow will be a quiche that I made with the ham and Thursday we'll be having easy smoked-meat sandwiches. It's a lazy week.
Lunches are leftovers from the night before.

Saturday & Sundays are not planned.
I like to have some meats already cooked and cut up into pieces in the freezer for fast assembly recipes.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
When all the kids lived at home I spent Thursday evening doing my meal planning and bill paying. On Friday I generally did my shopping during lunch or after work. Saturday mornings I cooked for the week according to the prepared meal plan. This included a full breakfast, snacks and a full dinner.

Breakfast: I lined a baking pan with my bacon and put it in the oven with premade breakfast sausage links while I prepared muffin mix and biscuits. This went in immediately after the bacon and while they cooked I made omelets, scrambled eggs, and pancakes on the stove top. Pancakes were only served on non school days since the syrup was a lot of sugar. I always kept fresh fruit to include with every breakfast. This took about 45 minutes from start to finish. Each plate was made and stacked in the refrigerator. Each morning I warmed everything up in the oven while I got dressed. I then woke the boys up and we all sat down to a hot breakfast.

Snacks: Generally I made pudding, fruit cups, grilled cheese sandwiches and in winter it was toast with hot chocolate and marshmallows.

Dinner: Dinner was always cooked ahead with the exception of the rice, bread or anything else that wouldn't keep well. The first three days were refrigerated and the rest were frozen for food safety reasons. More people make the mistake of just cooking the meats and not the veggies. If you really take the time to notice it often takes just as long to cook the veggies so it's really a time saver to cook your sides as well.

There you have it! Heat and eat quickly becomes habit and it only takes one missed week to realize how much you miss it when you have to come home tired and exhausted only to have to start dinner while everyone is starving.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I don't always have my meals prepped, but knowing what we're having each day for the week makes all the difference. Not having those last minute trips and having all the items you need on hand, is the key to having enough time I think. My daughter was spoiled whens he was younger and I was scheduled alot less, most of the time, because now that I keep my week day dinners more simple, she complains. I tell her, she'll get it someday, when she's in charge! It's hard work, putting dinner on the table after work and not using the junk that's out there. My husband would like to complain sometimes, he's just to picky, but he never has. He really doesn't like breakfast for dinner, but I still have it once a week most of the time. If I don't have alot of time, it's toast, eggs and a meat. If I have more time, I"ll make him some potatoes or hash browns. I like to do soups once a week too. Sometimes they are in crockpot, sometimes out of can or my food storage. I'll do bread or a grilled cheese. He does always still ask if he has meat in his grilled cheese and if I have it, I toss it in, if I don't..he doesn't.

I do regret not including my teen daughter in the prepping and cooking more, but she was always bogged down with so much homework, it was always just easier to have her do her work, while I cooked. My hubby doesn't cook at all, so that is a downer sometimes. I wish I had a guy who grilled or cooked on occasion!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Loving this thread so far and look forward to hearing even more responses! Thanks for starting this Annie!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
some great ideas so far ladies! I know I desperately need to find a new routine with my new schedule. When my freezer was working I know making and freezing casseroles helped. I have yet to figure out the start cook time on my stove but at the same time unless it starts in the oven frozen I don't like the idea of it sitting in there all day or it cooking when no one is home. BUT I can get the DSs to put it in after school and start it cooking.
When I did a meal plan it worked great to know what we will eat for the week so I could prep or plan ahead. With my rotating schedule there is no way I can say, every Tuesday I will cook for the week b/c my days off change.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jess- What you said last week really has been on my mind. Somethimes I think the MHH women are truly wonder women! AND THEY ARE!

Ellen- Wow! I never thought of actually plating the food and putting it in the fridge that way!
That's why I like these threads, we get ideas we never thought of before! :)

Lucie- Cooking and cutting up meat and freezing it- also an excellent idea.

MinnieCo- I like what you said- Putting good, healthy food on the table and NOT giving in to all the junk that is so readily available!

That is my goal!

Looking forward to what others have to say!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Cook once Eat Twice

Planning is number one. Second is planning easy to cook items. I also cook double when I do cook so I have a freezer meal. Nothing better than grabbing something out of the freezer and having a good dinner in 10 to 15 minutes.

In the past I assigned each day a theme:

Monday-Meatless
Tuesday-Italian
Wednesday-Soup and Sandwiches…

This idea worked for me for years. Now I pull out recipes on the day before I shop to make out a list. Then I have the items to cook when it's time. I also have items on the pantry for fast meals. Spam and pineapple is one. Takes a few minutes to open, cut and fry up the spam with butter and brown sugar. Served with a veggie it's a complete meal.

I also prep food once home from shopping. Veggies are washed and bagged so they are ready to go. I fry up bacon and place this in the freezer. I have onions and celery chopped and frozen to save time. Sometimes I have a bag of caramelized onions in the freezer.

Tonight's supper was White Chicken Chili made in the crockpot. I made a double recipe so we had dinner, I froze one large container for another dinner and I froze 9 containers single servings. The recipe is easy. The other day we had a roasted chicken from Walmart with mashed potatoes and a veggies. I deboned the leftover chicken and made broth with the bones. Then these went into the Chili today. I make chicken broth anytime I get a roasted chicken and place it into the freezer for soups. I put the bones on to cook while we eat dinner and wash the dishes. By the time we are done I can strain the chicken broth, bag it and toss it into the freezer.

For a steak dinner I cook double meat. Then we have steak dinner and I slice up the rest for that yummy Blue Cheese Steak salad or Teriyaki Noodle Bowls. So I guess I like to cook once and eat twice.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Frankly Annie, I don't remember how I did it! But we always had a sit down dinner.

At one point I gave DH a night to prepare. It was always tuna salad sandwiches but it was a break for me:) And Saturday was always Chinese take out or pizza, especially since I worked most Saturdays.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Apologies - I realized when I finished writing this that it was epically long. But it might be helpful.

I plan ahead too. And use the freezer.

I certainly look at the diary, check the fridge, freezer and cupboards, and often check the special offers, before I make my weekly list.

There are 2 lists. A weekly menu plan, and the shopping list.

The menu plan is rough, as I may change if there's something better in store or life falls apart around us (not infrequent) needing a change. But at least there's a rough plan to fall back on if my brain goes into meltdown. I usually check with the rest of the household as I make that plan too.

The shopping list lives on the fridge door all week. At the moment I have a pad which you just tick things off, but I have used a plain sheet of paper in the past. The idea is that as soon as anyone in the house finishes something, they write it up. If anyone needs something in particular, or wants something particular, they write that up too. Then, when I make the menu plan, I add on whatever I need for that and anything else I;ve seen running low or that I want to stock up on (like I know I need lots of flour soon again). Sometimes I shop in person, sometimes I internet shop for groceries.

On a Sunday afternoon, when I am making a proper family dinner anyway (it used to be a full roast dinner, but we have got less formal recently - but it's still always a proper homecooked meal), so I'm in the kitchen, I make a double batch of a second dinner. Half for Monday night (so all I cook fresh is boiling pasta, rice or potatoes), and the other half for the freezer.

I tend to have fresh things to cook fast dinners on Tuesday at least, and possibly Wednesday. Thursday is nearly always from the freezer (either a previous week's "Sunday batch" or convenience foods).

Batch dinners are things like bolognaise sauce, lasagna, cottage pie, smoked fish and broccoli pie, a range of different curries, chilli, vegetable chilli, and so on.

I have a number of fast cooking meals, that I can throw together when I get in from work. Stirfries of many sorts (Chinese, Indian fried rice dishes, Mexican fajitas, Italian, French) that I start off with an onion and garlic, and while they cook, I have time to chop the next thing, and the relevant carb boils on another ring. Gorgonzola sauce is ridiculously easy, and if you put on top of fresh pasta and add a packet of bacon pieces, dinner is ready in 15 minutes. They are good for Tues/Weds.

I will often prep things the night before too. So peel potatoes and leave them soaking in their pot in water on the stove, to just turn on. Peel and chop veggies, which are soaking in pots of water or just in air-tight tubs to throw straight into cooking. Or marinate meats, that I can put them in the oven or under the grill as soon as I get in.

Other meals are of the "throw it in the oven and walk away for 20-30 minutes" variety - quiche, pizza, reheating lasagna. And some meats - chicken joints, lamb chops sitting on some rosemary, pork chops sitting on some sage, or stuffed vegetables (breakfast flat mushrooms, beef tomatoes, peppers etc). Or I have the oven set from the night before (we have a timer on it) to cook various other things that take longer (lasagna, chorizo potatoes, different types of pies), or even just hot to put things in as soon as I get home.

And I put bits of prep into the freezer as well. I love roasted medditerranean vegetables, but I tend to do a large tray (or even 2) of those when I make them, and freeze the leftovers in single portion bags. They work well directly as a vegetable side just reheated, or added to a (fast homemade or bought jar) tomato sauce with pasta (and served as a veggie meal or just add some cooked and sliced up sausages or meatballs or bacon pieces or chicken pieces to it at the last minute). I make breadcrumbs from leftover bread too, and keep a bag as crumbs for various uses, but also try to have a bag already made into a basic stuffing in the freezer, to put a handful with chicken especially, or to make stuffed vegetables in a hurry.

I also tend to cook buttered leeks in large enough batches too, and freeze the leftovers. They are nice as a side with a grilled lamb chop or steak, mixed into mashed potato, or I add a fistful of strong cheddar and a portion of leeks to hot pasta as a fast and ultra easy dinner (often when I am only cooking for me but DH does like that too).

In terms of meats, I often freeze pork and chicken as some joints but some already chopped into pieces for more "sauce" meals. So the work is done before I defrost them and can throw them straight into the pan. I also always have bacon lardons in the fridge, another fast option for adding meat. And I freeze sausages individually too, and meatballs, so I can take out as many or as few as I need (numbers eating can differ widely, and sometimes at the last minute so freezing in large batches is not always a great idea).

Leftover cooked lasagna is frozen in individual portions so easily defrosted and reheated. Leftover rice is frozen for a couple of fried rice dishes. Leftover cheese sauce is frozen to put over cauliflower or pasta. And leftover macaroni cheese (mine has bacon and loads of veggies) or pasta with a tomato sauce, meat and veggies, are both frozen to be reheated another night as a pasta bake, just with a handful of grated cheese on top. Leftover mash is reheated in the oven with a chopped onion, handful of frozen peas and extra milk and butter for a tasty dish.

I also have plenty of convenience foods - some healthy, others less so. So frozen peas, tins of sweetcorn, tins of beans (baked and other types) are always there, and fresh onions and garlic. I keep a bag of frozen, cooked prawns in the freezer that can be just thrown on top of a sauce straight from the freezer at almost the last minute to give the appearance of meat (DH and DD both love prawns). Tins of tuna are also handy for quite a few meals the same way.

I have a few jars of tomato sauce (tomato and chilli, tomato and roasted veggies), as well as tins of tomatoes to make the sauce myself if I have 5 extra minutes - usually they will form the base with extra veggies (eg. bag of roasted med veg) and meat added in, often a slug of balsamic vinegar and/or wine for added flavor etc.

I always have spices, ginger, chillies and tins of tomatoes and coconut milk to make curries from scratch, but I also keep a few jars of good curry sauces to just add freshly fried chicken or prawns, (or even leftover cooked chicken from the freezer) and maybe veggies if I have the time, for midweek dinners.

I always have a bag of oven chips in the freezer, and usually some kind of breaded chicken or fish. Chicken kievs have a place in life on occasion, either with oven chips, reheated mash, or roast potatoes left peeled the night before, and some sort of veg side. I buy pizza bases, pizza sauce and grated mozzarella, and DD and the au pair will happily put together their own pizzas with their choices of toppings. I always keep lots of cheese (cheddar, parmesan, gorgonzola and usually a couple of others too), and often grate a block of cheddar into a tub so I can grab a handful when I need it rather than having to grate as I go.

And we try not to eat takeaways every single week, but they're not uncommon at all here. I always try to limit them to just once in any week, particularly by having the freezer and cupboards well stocked - but there are weeks that we've bought either 2 takeaways that week, or resorted to fresh convenience food on the way home from work (the almost takeaway type, that you just throw a few cartons in the oven).

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I plan my meals for 2 weeks at a time, then create a shopping list based on what is in the pantry and freezer. The menu plan is posted on a calendar and on a dry erase menu board I made from 20x20 photo frame. I take frozen meats out the night before and put them in the fridge to defrost so they are ready to use when I get home. One night a week, we get take out. It's usually dance night because we are there during the dinner hour. I've been doing this for so long, it's just second nature. I think having a plan and the ingredients necessary are the key to being able to cook nightly.

I also gather lots of recipes and ideas from cooking shows, cookbooks (I collect them!) and magazines.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
The double batch thing I'll say works great as well. I didn't put that down, but see some mentioning it. If you can, cook a tad more and freeze it to use later. Even basics like chicken and ground beef. Having pre cooked ground beef, cuts out a good chunk of time. Precooked chicken can make salads and alfredo dishes super fast. The list is endless...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I agree with a lot of the ladies ... PLAN. I like to plan my meals on a weekly schedule. On the nights where my kids have practice, a game or a school event I plan for quick easy dinners. Big batch cooking to freeze extras and crock pots also make it easier.

Easy/Quick Dinner options:
Pasta dish (spaghetti, ravioli's, etc)
Grill cheese and soup
Burgers (hamburger sandwhiches, pizza burgers, etc)
Hotdogs
Taco's or taco salad (taco meat can be made ahead of time and frozen)
Homemade pizza (make the pizza dough the night before)
Pancakes

I will use my crockpot for:
Whole or cut up chickens
Pork or beef roast
Beef tips and gravy
Chicken breast and jar spaghetti sauce (add 1 cup of water) to add to spaghetti or to make chicken parm sandwhiches
Meatballs
Chili - I love making a big pot of chili and freezing the extra in single serve and family sized freezer bags. In the morning just put a family sized portion in the crock pot with a little extra water and when you get home dinner is ready!

I always keeps a bag of diced onions and a bag of diced peppers in the freezer. When ever they go on sale I buy a lot and spend an hour chopping and freezing. Makes meal time easier when I don't have to stop to chop veggies. Also I will prep other veggies I will need during the week on Sunday.

On weekends I like to spend a morning or afternoon making extra pancakes/waffles/breakfast burritos that I put in the freezer to be used for breakfast or a quick dinner during the next 2 weeks.

Another life saver is having a well rounded and well stocked pantry for when money is tight or the weather doesnt allow for a quick trip to the store.

Quick breads is another item that you can make up a lot of at once and freeze the extras to be used for breakfast, afterschool snacks or dessert.

During the Spring/Summer when the klids have baseball/softball games I will roast up big batches of chicken legs/thighs that can be reheated or eaten cold, make up a big bowl of garden salad (with no dressing) to keep in the fridge and boil a dozen eggs. Makes for quick and easy cold dinner when time is limited and its hot out.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Winged one- I would like your recipe for the meditteranan veggies and the buttered leeks.

Great tips, everyone!

Annie

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Med veg.
Dice 1 red and 1 yellow onion into even sized small pieces (it's nice to have a mix). Do about 4 cloves garlic, chop to same size. 1 zucchini, a red and a yellow pepper, about 8-10 mushrooms, and about 4 tomatoes or 15(ish) cherry tomatoes. Chop all into the same size dice.
Mix together with a slug of balsamic vinegar (2-3 tablespoons?), a good sprinkling (maybe 2 tablespoons) of dried basil or oregano (or both if you like), could add some fresh chopped rosemary too but only half tablespoon or so, good pinch each of salt and pepper, and about 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil (I just sprinkle it over).
Toss in a baking tray or 2, in reasonably thin layer. Cook at 180 Celsius for about 25 minutes.

I do it by eye, not an exact science, to get a pleasing mix of colours and balance of flavour. Aubergene works well too but DH and dd both hate it so I rarely bother. It's also very easily multiplied up, and as the leftovers freeze well, I would do this big a batch generally as it's a few minutes but not terrible to do the chopping. You can always do smaller amounts if that sits you better.

Buttered leeks are very simply the leeks cleaned and sliced into rounds about 2-3 cm thick. Melt some butter in a pot, add the leeks, season with salt and pepper, and let them cook slowly for up to 20 minutes until soft and creamy. Stir occasionally. You can use a small amount of vegetable stock in the pot too if you are afraid of scorching them, to keep them nice and most, but only a little (not enough to see over the leeks, just coming maybe halfway up the bottom leek in the pot when you stir).

Enjoy!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I should have said, I generally do the mix in about 1 cm dice for roasting. But would use the same mix of veg in much bigger chunks for veg kebabs on the BBQ in summer, just marinate them in that type of seasoning mix beforehand for about 20 mins. And you can do bigger pieces(2-3 cm dice), just roast for slightly longer to compensate. Bigger is nice as a side dish, but smaller works better in pasta sauces later, so that's why I tend to go small.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Winged One- TFS!!!!!

Annie

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I use to use a crockpot a lot--but after the one blew the cord off at Jaymees baby shower I only do when home now or not going to be gone long.

Allen is really good at cooking supper. Especially when cold out he normally has it ready about the time I get home. He is home about 4 me 5:30. Summer time I do it more often or he grills out. He started doing it a lot when kids would have games after school so they would have a good supper in them--by the time I got home they would be leaving. I would go later at starting time.

a lot of good tips here.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Good thread Annie! I was thinking about what Jessica said too since I've always worked a full time job and had to come home and cook and clean too.

Now that we are empty nesters, I still like to fix dinners under an hour on work nights.

Similar to already posted, I make quick dinners of meats, seafood, pasta. Baked potatoes and sweet potatoes and frozen veggies I make in the microwave, yellow rice takes 20 minutes, crusty bread, salads etc. for sides. Crockpot meals that I can prepare the night before and set up in the morning are beef stew, pulled pork, chicken and sauce.

More complex or new recipes are saved for weekends, holidays or days off. Lasagne, chicken enchiladas, chili, sausage and peppers and things I can prepare ahead and freeze or cook the following days.

DH enjoys going out to eat and it is nice after a trying day at work. We go to our Mexican place on Thursdays, pizza, etc.

Some nights we just have whatever, cereal, grilled cheese, eggs, leftovers.

When the kids were little, there were a lot of chicken fingers, hot dogs, pizza, ham steak, kielbasi, lamb chops, etc. And the kids have quite the collection of vintage Happy Meal toys. lol.