Potluck Help!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
There are a group of us that go to evening church services on Saturday night together. After church we usually end up at someone's house for food and fellowship (table games and the kids play minecraft).

We have done take and bake pizza at one of the houses which was expensive and at our house we did a taco salad bar. If we eat together "almost" every week food options could get boring. We are all on tight budgets... one income families.

If you have any ideas for creative potluck dinners, please share???

On my list I already have: Italian potluck, mexican potluck, a southern bbq (everyone bring something to bbq and a dish to share), a chili bar (in the fall).

Load me up with lots of creative ideas... please!!!!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Some ideas might be-salad bar (different kinds of salads), baked potato bar (with lots of toppings) and maybe with soup or chili, a basic type of pot luck but assign people a type of dish, appitizers.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great ideas ShAnnon! I was thinking sandwiches for summer, hot dogs with All the toppings , shredded BBQ, or burgers.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hotdogs warmed in crockpot popped into my mind - with all the toppings like teachermomof2 suggested.

Crockpot mac n/cheese is another possibility if you can squeeze the cheese out the budget.

Summer salads - cucumber or pasta could also be a good frugal choice. Corn salad is good too. So are chilled bean salads - there are several options there. I can share recipes if that helps?

Cooler weather would lend itself to chili of course, white chicken chili is a nice alternative.

If you have an Aldi nearby that you like, nothing beats their weekly produce specials. I try to plan some of my menu options around what veggies and fruits are on sale each week.

If potatoes are on sale, potato salad is great of course. I'll hard boil some eggs, chop those up and add those to add protein.

And a "main dish" type of salad topped with small amount of grilled, chopped chicken - homemade dressing - can also be a frugal choice.

And this may be crazy, but what about a breakfast for dinner potluck? Crockpot egg dishes? Fresh fruit that was on sale? Premade homemade pancakes or waffles - frozen then reheated?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sloppy Joes, meatballs, pulled pork can all be pretty cheap and are great in crockpots.