Prepare now for Thanksgiving-yes today!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
If you haven't done so you need to check your baking soda and baking powder expiration dates. Buy it now if needed for your holiday baking.

I also checked to make sure I had toothpicks, extra foil (heavy duty), plastic wrap, napkins, washed my gravy boat and will check to see if my favorite holiday drinks are on the shelf (Reed's Spiced Apple Cider).

Do you have enough containers for leftovers to freeze or to send home with guests?

If you have a roaster pan now is the time to haul it out and wash it up.

Spices need to be fresh, take a whiff, it the aroma is faint replace them with a small jar.

Sometimes fresh cranberries are sold out closer to Thanksgiving, buy them now and drop the package in the freezer.

Check you serving pieces with what is on your menu.

Watch the newspaper for Turkey sales. I've found turkey for 37 cents on sale before Thanksgiving in past years. So far in my area this year it's at 59 cents a pound.

Order your fresh turkey today.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks for the reminders...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I replinished my baking soda and powder this week. Also made sure I have enough cinnamon and nutmeg to go around. Also bought a giant flour and sugar!

I'm not cooking a whole dinner this year, but our local farmers market is having a big Pre Thanksgiving sale this week. I need to go check it out and stock up on a few things.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the reminders. Time is going by so quickly. I have my shopping list all made up. What I need to do is go through it and cross off the things I already bought!! Thanks especially about the roaster pan. I usually get a disposable tin by this time in Nov. and for some reason this year I've forgotten. One year they ran out of tins in my area (could you imagine that!!) and my roasting pan will not comfortably hold a large turkey!! Since that time, I made it a point to buy ahead for Thanksgiving and Christmas (if we are having turkey).

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Great reminders! Thank you so much! I am debating on what we are going to do. The kids will be with their mom and I don't know if I want to travel. If we don't travel it will just be me and DH and I'm thinking I might be okay with that. I did buy a turkey breast just in case we stay here. He'll have to help me cook because I'll still be recovering from surgery but that could be fun! Now, off to hunt down that gravy boat!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
No turkeys on sale here yet, but turkey breasts are.

Got to cater a wedding on the 20th (small 100-150 ppl). Shopping for it and Thanksgiving on the 14th. No church that night. Maybe there won't be as many people in stores since it will be a Sunday.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Wonderful reminders! I am not hosting T-Day, but I am having a ladies' holiday lunch on Dec. 10th.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I hit one of our stores pre-thanksgiving day sale last week, all I need is some dressing. We raise our own turkeys so my 27# is in the freezer. Everyone knows what they need to bring so I think we are almost set, just need to tidy the house!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to call my MIL and let her know what I'm bringing today.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
It's going to be my parents and me, so it'll be a smallish feast. I did call and order a fresh turkey. Got my meal all planned out stocked up sugar and flour. Will probably shop next weekend in hopes of avoiding the Tuesday/Wednesday night rush to the supermarket.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My dh heard there might be a turkey shortage this year so prices may not come down very much. Anyone noticed anything like this in their area?

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Don't forget to ck on your yeast exp date also. That is another item I tend to forget; along with the baking powder.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Nice!

If you haven't done so you need to check your baking soda and baking powder expiration dates. Buy it now if needed for your holiday baking.

I also checked to make sure I had toothpicks, extra foil (heavy duty), plastic wrap, napkins, washed my gravy boat and will check to see if my favorite holiday drinks are on the shelf (Reed's Spiced Apple Cider).
:thanksgiving4:
Great helps!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanksgiving is closer than you think. Be ready.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Bumping

Just we might need this reminders. I went to use my Baking Powder and it was expired. I even have the date written right on the top of the lid in huge back letters. lol

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
Thanks for the reminders. Need to clean out my baking cabinet and will check my dates on these. Need to inventory everything else on your list and make sure I have enough. I know that I am out of parchment paper for baking cookies, so will need to pick some up this weekend.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I already started stocking up on my baking supplies. Picked up a few extra bags of sugar this week and picked up some more spices like ground cloved and cinnamon. Plan on picking up a few extra items each pay day.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ah!

I already started stocking up on my baking supplies. Picked up a few extra bags of sugar this week and picked up some more spices like ground cloved and cinnamon. Plan on picking up a few extra items each pay day.
Ah yes! I too need this reminder!