Question on Receipt/Photo Book

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

BeritL

Retire Member
Jun 5, 2008
OK, I was reading this post http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=232&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=receipt about a receipt notebook using a photo book. I love that idea!

Anyway, I have a question:

when you purchase mutiple gifts, do you just keep the separate gift receipts and file them, until/unless the recipient asks for them (vs giving them with the gift, just in case)? Or do you also ask for separate regular receipts? Or how do you file by person if you purchase more than one gift at a time?

Also, where is a good place to find these - just somewhere like target, walmart, walgreens? Or is there someplace better you've found?

Thanks.
Berit

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I forgot about this idea, I love it! I would think you can find the photo albums in a dollar store and I've found some at AC Moore. I'm sure Wal-Mart and any drug store type store has them.

As for separating receipts, hmm...not sure what I would do. If I wasn't too stressed or in a hurry, I'd probably as for separate gift receipts. If it's one receipt I would maybe just put a Post-It on the index card and note that the receipt is with another person's.

Great question, I'm probably not much help though. Would love to hear if others do this!

This is how I do it Berit

I already have an established photo album book that I use you can buy them anywhere you find them and depending on the amount of people you buy for would depend on the size of album. I use the miniature size but not the thin brag books because I have a large fanily!!! Sometimes you can find a cheap one at Goodwill, WalMart, and on sale at a Walgreens or CVS, flea markets, garage sales, etc... If your children have established neighborhood friends whose birthdays you get invited to every year, a separate mini brag book will work well with remembering what you bought them the year before and sometimes you can figure out what gifts that recipient really enjoyed at the party and make note of it for the following year!!!

Since the photo sheets always have a front and back I will place the person's name on the blank side of an index card, on the back of the index card (lined side) I will write the year and the gift purchased. This will help me keep track of the history of my gift giving. I also use it for special occasion gifts like birthday, graduation, communion, etc... I just write down what occasion the gift was for.

For example
The front side of an index card says SARA
The back side says 12/25/07-scrapbook kit
4/28/08 (b'day) CD and DVD
etc....

On the back side of the PHOTO SHEET I place the receipt. I always give the gift receipt to the recipient when there is one. BUT not every place I buy gifts carries them. I ALWAYS hold on to the actual receipt until I know the product has been used up and there are NO problems!!! Usually by the next occasion. For example when "SARA'S" Christmas gift is purchased for 2008 I will take the 2007 receipt out of the book.

NOW if I have multiple gifts on ONE receipt I will do the following:
1- make as many photocopies of the receipt as there are gift recipients. On the top of the photocopies place one name on each receipt.
2- I then highlight the gift purchased for THAT photocopied receipt.
3-I then place on the BACK page of the photo album an index card with all the names and the ORIGINAL receipt. This way I can easily see what was purchased for each individual person and how much it cost with the photo copies under each individual name and I know where to find the receipt if they need it.

If a store does do gift receipts, like Target, make sure you tell them how many gift receipts you need. I lay out my purchase by gift order so I can make sure I have the right amount and will sometimes add one more. So if I am buying 4 separate gifts, I will ask for 5 gift receipts JUST IN CASE I decide to split up my gift purchase for one person or in case I miscounted!!! Target also has that scan code on a receipt so if you forgot to ask for a gift receipt they can scan the receipt back into the computer and print one out although your purchase transaction has been completed...and I LOVE them for it :haha:

I think I answered all of your questions if not just let me know!!!

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Now, THAT is a great idea....hope you don't mind that I "stole" it for my personal use!!! :pink:

Rackandrollgal said:
Now, THAT is a great idea....hope you don't mind that I "stole" it for my personal use!!! :pink:

It is not stealing, it is adapting for personal use...lol I post to share with my MHH family so you can use it if you want to. I get tons of great ideas from many of you here also!!! That is what is sooo wonderful about our community!!!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Rackandrollgal said:

That IS a great idea! Will be on the lookout for a photo album (although I probably have one here somewhere! ;-) ). Thanks for sharing!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm less organized. I have a file folder that I just drop in the receipts (sometimes). There has only been once or twice that I've included a gift receipt with a gift. I buy my gifts early so most of them will not be returnable in the allotted stores time frame.