RACK on Rudolph Days

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Next year I am wanting to add a little spark to Rudolph Days. Pinterest has tons of lists for random acts of kindness and Random Acts of Christmas Kindness. I was thinking it would be nice to try to add an act of kindness to each month on or around Rudolph Day; just to bring more Christmas spirit to the day. It would bring a chance to add some of my favorite parts of the holiday season...gifts, giving, surprises, helping those in need, etc. to each month. I just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to join me in this adventure. We could use this thread to post ideas, links, etc for the RACKs.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
That would be a great addition to Rudy Day.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I think this is a fantastic idea.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great idea! I wanted to start a journal (with art & such) for Rudy day & add to it what I plan to do each Rudy day. A RACK would be a welcome addition to it all.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm liking this idea!!

Annie

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Awesome. Glad some of you are interested. I have been thinking about some ideas for each month. I want to try to do something seasonally appropriate. Here's a starter list I'm working on...definitely nothing set in stone yet.

January: Warmth-hot cocoa, scarf, gloves, a blanket
February: Love-hearts, chocolate, candy, candles ETA: Hershey's hugs and kisses might work
March: Luck- lottery tickets, something green?
April: Easter Blessings?
May: Flowers, Marvelous Moms
June: Surprise for random Deserving Dads or Greatest Grads, or maybe stressed brides
July: Stars & Stripes something for a soldier
August: Back to School. Teachers? Coaches? Scout Leaders? etc.
September: ??? Stockpile items for a local shelter?
October: Think Pink? You've been Booed?
November: Attitude of Gratitude, Veterans
December: Secret Santa...really secret. surprise, random, without ever revealing whodunnit.

January could be pretty simple. Box of hot cocoa, possibly even in a mug. Or individual packets of hot cocoa with a card or tag that mentions what a RACK is and suggests to pass on the kindness.

Last edited:

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Found this on RACK the World's FB page:

From the National PTA's website, "When school resumes for Sandy Hook, it will be in a new building. Parent-volunteers are working to ensure that the students are welcomed back by a winter wonderland with the entire school decorated with as many unique snowflakes as possible. We encourage senders to be as creative as possible, remembering that no two snowflakes are alike. Please make and send snowflakes by January 12, 2013 to the Connecticut PTSA address below."

Connecticut PTSA
60 Connolly Parkway
Building 12, Suite 103
Hamden, CT 06514

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Some more ideas from RACK the World

There are many ways to RACK someone, but here are a few ideas to get you started.

1. leave a quarter at a bouncy ball/toy vending machine
  2. leave a roll or bag of coins on riding toys at the store [ie. Sandy at Meijer]
  3. pay for someone’s meal behind you at a drive-through and hand the RACK’d card to the attendant to pass on to them
  4. buy or pack a meal for a homeless person
  5. thank a mail carrier, store clerk or greeter, librarian, garbage collector, service volunteer, babysitter, hair dresser, bank teller, etc. with an anonymous note or treat
  6. leave candy canes under windshield wipers [or on ATM machines, mailboxes, etc]
  7. buy hot cocoa for a Salvation Army bell ringer
  8. give a lottery ticket to a stranger
  9. distribute homemade hot chocolate [check allrecipes for an easy recipe that makes 45 servings]
  10. leave packets of tea in co-workers mailboxes
  11. buy coffee for the person in line behind you
  12. donate [to the Children’s Hospital, the animal shelter, a toy collection location, etc]
  13. send or deliver handmade cards to a nursing home
  14. donate new or used books to the library or school
  15. send a card or care package to someone serving overseas
  16. put change in a row of vending machines
  17. make dinner for someone
  18. put something you no longer need on Craigslist’s FREE section
  19. leave a bag of groceries on someone’s doorstep
  20. open the phone book, pick someone anonymously and send them something [movie tickets, book, lotto ticket, card, etc]
  21. participate in Postcards for Positivity by sending a positive message to women and children staying in emergency shelters
  22. take flowers to the hospital and leave them for someone who hasn’t had recent visitors
  23. put together a care package for the homeless [toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, doed, snacks, gloves, socks, etc]
  24. hand a passerby a goody bag and continue walking
  25. leave a small wrapped gift in a grocery cart [possibly a small toy or packages of animal crackers in the kids carts, to help ease the trip for mom]
  26. ‘ding dong ditch’ your neighbors with fresh baked goods or holiday trinkets
  27. shovel someone’s driveway and leave the RACK’d card on their door
  28. send a box of donuts or bagels or muffins to a construction site
  29. leave coupons at the grocery store by the item, along with the RACK’d card to prevent them from being thrown away
  30. donate items to charity [and maybe leave $ in the pocket]
  31. bring ‘Lifesavers’ or another treat to the police or fire station
  32. leave muffins or other treats in the teacher’s lounge
  33. hand out helium balloons to kids
  34. take a person who’s working on Christmas Eve [ie a pharmacist or farm employee] something special
  35. leave something [treats, books, magazines, crosswords, games, cards, coloring pages and crayons, etc] for those in a hospital waiting room
  36. leave a pack of microwave popcorn on a movie machine for the next person
  37. give late night workers instant coffee packs
  38. tape $1 bills [plus a dime for tax?] behind toys at the Dollar Tree
  39. donate blood
  40. leave your server a special tip
  41. buy your check-out person a gift card
  42. encouraging chalk art [at schools, downtown, etc]
  43. leave a bottle of laundry detergent [quarters and dryer sheets work too] at a laundromat with a 'use me' sign [easy, cheap recipes available to make in bulk]
  44. make dog treats for furry friends or drop them off at an animal shelter or veterinary office
  45. organize a drive [for a local pantry, hospital, charity, etc] with your class, school, work, neighborhood, church, family, etc.
  46. pay the toll for the person behind you

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
I really love this idea! Thank you for putting this up.
Lucie- I'm your newest follower. Great board!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I started a Pinterest board called Random Acts of Christmas Kindness. Same User name as here. Right now a lot of people are doing #26Acts in honor of the Sandy Hook kids. I think I will send snowflakes like they are requesting. One year I made enough for snowflake garland using Martha's tutorial and some others online. I thing i still have at least a dozen. But...there have been SO many shootings in the past few weeks and months!! (Movie theatre, schools, churches, fire fighters, police stations etc) I was thinking I might do some acts of kindness at all of those places in and around my community. Be the good in the world. Pass it on! :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Loving the ideas on here. Thanks candysprinkles.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Really lovely idea/s!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Now this is something that I could get interested in. I'm sorry to say that, over the past year or so, this site has felt a bit clannish and unwelcoming, for some reason, and I've felt like an intruder. Haven't been on here for awhile, but I'm glad I came on and found this. Seems most appropriate at this time. Thanks, candysprinkles.