Receiving Christmas Cards?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Just out of curiosity, are any of you receiving noticeably less Christmas cards this year than before?

I think it may have something to do with the fact that I STILL have not mailed mine, because some people only send cards to people they've gotten a card from, but we don't seem to be getting quite as many as in years past.

Every year it seems that less and less people send them out.

Any one else notice this? :frosty:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We've still been getting a fair amount but I have heard that not as many people send them out anymore. My DH's family in particular is big into cards, though, so you couldn't tell by us!

Jhoelle

MHH Member
Oct 25, 2007
I was thinking about this last night. We have received only a few cards so far. I really enjoy getting the cards so I hope some will arrive soon :grin:

GrammaD35

MHH Member
Oct 24, 2007
SW Ohio
:bigsnow: I sent my cards out early. We have not been receiving cards as in the past. I think the price of postage here in the US may have something to do with it. Plus there are a lot of free ecard sites with gorgeous cards.

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Yes, I have noticed we get less cards each year. So much so that I replaced my large card holder for a smaller one.

Postage is high, cards take time, people are busy.... :snow:

I myself have cut back on the number of cards I send out. If I don't get one from you this year then next year I just assume you don't want to exchange cards anymore--I don't take it personally. We all have different ways of cutting back the stuff that doesn't work for us anymore.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I noticed it also. The cards I have received come from folks on my job. I haven't received any in the mail yet. Good thing I saved the ones from last year. I'll put those back on my sprial tree card holder with these new ones. LOL

Or maybe I'll do like Hyacinth (sp?) did on "Keeping Up Appearances" and mail some cards to myself. :rotflol:

I have only received three cards and one letter.

I'm wondering now....if I only get cards because I send them because my cards are late going out this year.

When it is all said and done I will have spent $75 to send out cards. Maybe it isn't worth it anymore.

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
I have to say that the most cards I've received this year are from fellow OC-ers. I've only received a few from family. I don't have a large list of people to send to and some are elderly and don't send cards anymore nevertheless I still send to them. Perhaps the bulk of them will arrive this week.

One year a friend send after christmas cards! She just couldn't get them sent out on time so she sent them mid-January instead. I admit that it was nice getting something after all the holidays were over!

dejavu

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
I have definitely received less and less cards in recent years from family and friends, but thanks to a group I joined a few years ago, I have received about 50 so far from them. I mailed mine early and am still not getting the pictures and letters I used to get. I guess it may be time to revise my own list of who to send cards to. :huh:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes fewer cards this year and mine are still not out. They are ready for stamps and amiling on Monday..which is certainly late for me BUT still in plenty of time for the holiday season!!! They do take time, money, and organization....I had even planned to make mine this year BUT alas....time attacked me...lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've only received 5 cards so far this year. My cards went out right after Thanksgiving.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
We have received only a few cards so far. Got 2 right after Thanksgiving (not even December - that seemed too early!). But only received a couple since then. I do have a few friends who purposely don't send them until after Christmas. Their reasoning - the time before Christmas is Advent and they aren't sending Advent cards - the time after Christmas is actually the Christmas season and they are sending Christmas cards, hence, the cards need to be sent between Christmas and January 6th.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
We have received very few cards this year. Last year we got a little less than other years but this year is really bad. I don't blame people because of the cost of everything. I was just hoping to hear from people that I don't get a chance to see or hear from throughout the year. I wonder if the weather has slowed things down also. Dorene

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
I usually get around 30-35 cards before Christmas...so far I've received 7 (not including the one from the insurance company and the car dealership where we bought our car. :haha: ) Maybe the early Thanksgiving threw everyone off and now they're running out of time and rushing to get them in the mail before the big day??? Oh, wait, that's me!! :haha:

I didn't have to buy cards, as I have PLENTY, but postage was a bit expensive this year. MAybe that has something to do with it?

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Since my last post I received 2 in the mail over the weekend. One from an aunt whom I sent a photo greeting card to and one from the attorney I hired to handle an auto accident case for me several years ago LOL.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I too have received less than in years past.

I think many people want the tradition to die out.

I feel it is one of the nicest traditions around and sometimes it is the only time I hear from certain friends.

I guess it's up to us Ocer's to keep it up!

johnasmom

Retire Member
Dec 18, 2007
Central Michigan
I agree with AnnieClause!! :applause:

I think people are too busy for the time-consuming task of sending out snail mail cards. I personally will never change but I get a few email cards and letters now from those that used to send out Christmas Cards in the mail.

I mailed my cards out on the 3rd of December and I have received cards from only half of those people I received from last year. I think same are feeling the strains of the tight times the economy is in right now.