Rice Pudding Recipe

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
RICE PUDDING

1/2 c rice
1/2 tsp salt
3 c milk
3 eggs
1/2 c sugar1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c raisins (optional)

Bake at 350 for one hour or till a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean

Put rice in heavy pan, cover with water and salt. Cover pan, let come to a boil, stir well. Turn light low and simmer. Stir occasionally, cook till tender. If water boils off before rice is cooked, add a little more water. When rice is done, water should be almost gone or rice just moist. Heat milk till scalded (when steam rises; do NOT boil). In a large bowl, add three eggs beaten just enough to mix well; add sugar and cinnamon. Add milk a little at a time (you don't want scrambled eggs). Mix well. Add rice, stir well. Add raisins. Grease baking dish (I just use Pam). Set baking dish in a pan of water. Bake at 350 for about an hour. If you want the custard mixed in, stir after 20 minutes. Optional: sprinkle nutmeg on top.

This is how my foster mother wrote it out to me. I think this recipe is older than I am! It is good warm or cold~with a big glass of milk, natch!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks Pam! I'm going to make it this weekend without raisons. I am not a raisin fan.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Pam I only have brown rice will that work? TFS

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Tricia- Yes, you can use brown rice. It will take longer to cook than the white rice and it may have a more chewy consistency than the white rice- but that's how brown rice is anyways. I think it will work well.

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks ladies I might make some of this for DGD & I since the rest of the bunch probably wouldn't try it...

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Sent DH to Kroger for rice and milk...ready to go now!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Got a big bag of rice from the jars I made at Christmas. I may join you ladies making it this weekend. Think I can use my vanilla almond milk?

Oh and no raisins like Kim. Not a raisen person

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ok, what kind of rice needs to be used? Uncle Ben's converted?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Piratemama- I think the vanilla almond milk would be a nice flavor.

You all have to let me know how your variations turn out!

If you are not doing raisens- it may be Arroz con Leche.

A spanish dish translated to: Rice with milk.

May make it sound a bit more exoctic. :)

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
making it right now!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I picked up some white rice & milk while we were out. Add me to the list of leaving the raisins out. But Shannon gave me an idea I think I'll add a little vanilla to my milk when I make it...

Kim let us know how it turns out.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Rice Pudding Report

The rice pudding turned out FABULOUS! It tasted so much like my mom-maw's that it almost made me cry!!!

I have never attempted rice pudding and I'm so glad I made this one! I'm going to call my mom and get my grandmother's recipe so I can compare the two.

In the recipe it says to stir it about 20 minutes into the process if you want the custard mixed in and I'll do this next time. I had some a bit ago and it's even better cold. I pour a touch of milk over it - that's the way my mom-maw always fixed it for me and it is out of this world!

I highly recommend it. Thank you so much for sharing, Pam!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Looks like a must try!!

Annie

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
The rice pudding turned out FABULOUS! It tasted so much like my mom-maw's that it almost made me cry!!!

I have never attempted rice pudding and I'm so glad I made this one! I'm going to call my mom and get my grandmother's recipe so I can compare the two.

In the recipe it says to stir it about 20 minutes into the process if you want the custard mixed in and I'll do this next time. I had some a bit ago and it's even better cold. I pour a touch of milk over it - that's the way my mom-maw always fixed it for me and it is out of this world!

I highly recommend it. Thank you so much for sharing, Pam!

Awww, Kim, now I'm gonna cry. I'm so glad you liked it. It's not hard to make at all, and I don't know why I don't make it more. It conjurs up a happy memory for me, too.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Mine is in the oven. It sure smells good. I hope it turns out good as I missed the part about setting my pan in water lol

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I agree with Kim. It is fabulous. We also splashed a little milk on top. Pam thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe..

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Tricia, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! N came over for an early supper and we polished off what I had left. SO good. I may have to make this sooner, rather than later! lol It really is comfort food, and brought some nice memories to mind.