Sept. 2023 Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Welcome to September Rudy Day 2023. We’re only a couple months out! As we begin to delve into our Christmas preparation and planning, let’s get in the spirit!

MUSIC TO GET YOU MOVING
Need some energetic music to motivate you during your holiday cleaning? Crank up Christmas Party Songs, a non-stop medley of holiday tunes for dancing. It will keep your energy up and maybe make the housework a little more fun.

BOOKS
My favorite Christmas book is Dorothea Benton Frank’s The Christmas Pearl (2007). I loved spending vacations with my late DH in South Carolina and found this title at a bookstore when we stayed in Hilton Head. The story, which embraces the region’s cultural heritage and incorporates several Gullah traditions, deals with trying to maintain a sane holiday with disfunctional family, while attempting to re-create family traditions of years gone by. The author includes recipes for several holiday dishes mentioned in the story. I made the fruitcake recipe for our December 2022 Book Club luncheon and will make it again, for sure – but it takes weeks to mellow, so starting it in late Oct. or early Nov. is optimal. If you can locate a copy, I hope you enjoy this quick read as much as I did.

And, a shameless plug … My former employer, World Book, Inc., still publishes Christmas Around the World, a series focusing on the holiday, as it is celebrated in other parts of the world or throughout history. It includes individual titles such as Christmas in Ireland or Christmas in America in the 1700’s and 1800’s. Originally sold into homes on a subscription basis, several titles are now available through all sales channels and can be purchased individually. Several titles have been recently revised and are available for ordering at https://www.worldbook.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=christmas&submit=true. Titles in the series may also be found in your local public library and are available from used booksellers, such as Better World Books (BWB, www.betterworldbooks.com), for a reasonable price. At BWB, I just searched the terms: world book christmas around the world.

MAGAZINES
MOVIES
Not sure if this is a Chicago thing … but I just had to share. Whenever I hear this song or see a snippet of this movie short, a stop-motion animation, I know Christmas is just around the corner.

CRAFTS
Something for the littles …
Crayola – Christmas Coloring Pages (maybe print out and have some copies ready to keep the littles occupied while you have a project to work on or maybe for after your holiday dinner) https://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/holidays/christmas-coloring-pages/

... and others for the adults ... How about Christmas coasters or potholders? Or maybe a string of Christmas lights? Or gift-card holders? Hmmm … so many things to choose from.
HOME DÉCOR FOR THE HOLIDAYS
It’s time to begin thinking about your holiday tablescapes and table linens. Do you have what you need for the coming holidays? Are there any items you could add to your décor? Or linens that have seen better days and really should be replaced? How can we simplify (and economically update) our table décor during the holidays? And, with our casual everyday living, there’s a primer on setting a table and napkin folding, to help those who may want to “step up” their table for the holidays.
HOLIDAY COOKING / BAKING
Thinking about your holiday meals? Here are a couple of pieces to help with menu planning for the holidays. Although they are geared toward Christmas, they can be helpful for Thanksgiving, as well. Yellow Bliss Road has some great appetizer ideas, too!
For baking and other desserts, there are some promising recipes on the wonkywonderful web site. There are several that I want to try.
Enjoy!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Wow! Wonderful suggestions, Lori!

Thank you!

Reactions: Lori K

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wow! so much to look at.. I barely started. I love the snowflake tablerunner.. I,ll be putting this on my list.
Love the Yellowroad page... so many ideas on there.
I'll take more time to browse during the month.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Oh my goodness! So much to look at!!! I have checked out the book “The Christmas Pearl” from the library as well as “Christmas in Norway,” the only one available in the set. I looked at some of the patterns…it will be a fabulous month!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Christmas Around the World, a series focusing on the holiday, as it is celebrated in other parts of the world or throughout history.
I am SO excited to learn about this! Just placed a hold on two I could find at our library. Christmas in Scotland and Christmas in Russia! Can't wait!

Not sure if this is a Chicago thing
I love Suzy Snowflake!!!! I am just familiar with the song (sung by Rosemary Clooney) - had no idea there was this adorable little film. I can just imagine children glued to the TV set for that!!! Do you know the history? Do they still air this on public TV channels in Chicago area?

MANY thanks for all the links for browsing!!! Down the Rabbit Hole I go! :D

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I just realized I completely missed the August Rudolph day! Not sure what’s going on with my brain lol.
I have Suzy Snowflake on my Rosemary Clooney cd. I’ve seen the film before, but can’t remember where or when.
Have already checked out a few of the websites.
I don’t bake like I used to since it’s just the 2 of us at home and honestly our son doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth which I guess is good. But I see some recipes I might have to try and can tuck in the freezer.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I can just imagine children glued to the TV set for that!!! Do you know the history? Do they still air this on public TV channels in Chicago area?
WGN typically plays it (or at least snippets of it) duirng the morning news during the holidays. It's so short they usually find space for it. When I was younger, I remember it being shown on Garfield Goose & Friends or Frazier Thomas's evening show. Always seemed to be on WGN, though.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I finished The Christmas Pearl in a couple days. I loved it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
So many wonderful ideas, thank you so much for putting this together. I would like to look for a few of the books, will see if my library stocks them

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lots of wonderful Christmas ideas to keep us busy. Thank you Lori!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Oh totally forgot it was Rudoph day. It's after lunch and was wondering what to start... hummm... I think a Christmas movie will be it for me :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Happy Rudy Day!!!. I am working today but will be doing some Christmas shopping and prep with my Mum on Thursday.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Welcome to September Rudy Day 2023. We’re only a couple months out! As we begin to delve into our Christmas preparation and planning, let’s get in the spirit!

MUSIC TO GET YOU MOVING
Need some energetic music to motivate you during your holiday cleaning? Crank up Christmas Party Songs, a non-stop medley of holiday tunes for dancing. It will keep your energy up and maybe make the housework a little more fun.

BOOKS
My favorite Christmas book is Dorothea Benton Frank’s The Christmas Pearl (2007). I loved spending vacations with my late DH in South Carolina and found this title at a bookstore when we stayed in Hilton Head. The story, which embraces the region’s cultural heritage and incorporates several Gullah traditions, deals with trying to maintain a sane holiday with disfunctional family, while attempting to re-create family traditions of years gone by. The author includes recipes for several holiday dishes mentioned in the story. I made the fruitcake recipe for our December 2022 Book Club luncheon and will make it again, for sure – but it takes weeks to mellow, so starting it in late Oct. or early Nov. is optimal. If you can locate a copy, I hope you enjoy this quick read as much as I did.

And, a shameless plug … My former employer, World Book, Inc., still publishes Christmas Around the World, a series focusing on the holiday, as it is celebrated in other parts of the world or throughout history. It includes individual titles such as Christmas in Ireland or Christmas in America in the 1700’s and 1800’s. Originally sold into homes on a subscription basis, several titles are now available through all sales channels and can be purchased individually. Several titles have been recently revised and are available for ordering at https://www.worldbook.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=christmas&submit=true. Titles in the series may also be found in your local public library and are available from used booksellers, such as Better World Books (BWB, www.betterworldbooks.com), for a reasonable price. At BWB, I just searched the terms: world book christmas around the world.

MAGAZINES
MOVIES
Not sure if this is a Chicago thing … but I just had to share. Whenever I hear this song or see a snippet of this movie short, a stop-motion animation, I know Christmas is just around the corner.

CRAFTS
Something for the littles …
Crayola – Christmas Coloring Pages (maybe print out and have some copies ready to keep the littles occupied while you have a project to work on or maybe for after your holiday dinner) https://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/holidays/christmas-coloring-pages/

... and others for the adults ... How about Christmas coasters or potholders? Or maybe a string of Christmas lights? Or gift-card holders? Hmmm … so many things to choose from.
HOME DÉCOR FOR THE HOLIDAYS
It’s time to begin thinking about your holiday tablescapes and table linens. Do you have what you need for the coming holidays? Are there any items you could add to your décor? Or linens that have seen better days and really should be replaced? How can we simplify (and economically update) our table décor during the holidays? And, with our casual everyday living, there’s a primer on setting a table and napkin folding, to help those who may want to “step up” their table for the holidays.
HOLIDAY COOKING / BAKING
Thinking about your holiday meals? Here are a couple of pieces to help with menu planning for the holidays. Although they are geared toward Christmas, they can be helpful for Thanksgiving, as well. Yellow Bliss Road has some great appetizer ideas, too!
For baking and other desserts, there are some promising recipes on the wonkywonderful web site. There are several that I want to try.
Enjoy!
Have order a set of 5 of the Christmas Around the World books and might have to order the Christmas Pearl for the FruitCake recipe. Thanks Lori.

Reactions: luludou and Lori K