September 13th: Entry/Foyer Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Okay eveyrone it's week three: Entry/Foyer
http://organizedchristmas.com/holiday-grand-plan/entry-foyer-week

So what are your plans for this week?

For me there isn't much as my foyer is very small. I already sorted my coat closet which is in that area. I did put up my fall decorations. So I guess I will find something else to do for this week. Maybe get a head start on the guest bedroom. This areas is a slow process. I did manage to get the closet organized but that's about it. I have again let bags of clothes pile up in that room. I said I wouldn't do it again but...

Last edited:

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I don't have an entry/foyer so I do the entire living room this week..... Actually I only have a few things left because I super cleaned it last week!!!

All I have for this room is clean behind the TV & stand IF I can get someone to help me move it (it's quite heavy). then it's on to the windows (clean them & maybe new curtains or drapes) and finally my front door (half glass so clean that & make a new curtain).

my closet is very small & I went through it during the summer so that is good to go.

HAGN
Tina

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Entry/Foyer -- Week 3!!! OK. This is 90% done. I am waiting for the newly cleaned fish tank to get up to room temperature --- and then I will put the plants and the fish back in. There is still some clutter & junk on the floor of the hall closet. However --- we leave early tomorrow morning. So --- that will be all carried over to Week 4!!!!!

It could be worse.
It could be better.......... but it could be a lot worse!!

And..... we don't want to be obsessive, do we? Well? Do we?

OK. I admit it. I am being obsessive about it.

BUT..... I HOPE that as soon as I get out of town, that I will forget about being obsessive until I get back home.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I need to catch up on the Christmas prep, and wash the windows in the living room, hang my winter drapes and change out the summer decor for fall. I don't have a foyer, you walk right into the living room, so nothing to do there this week. Should be an easy week. I do have tomorrow off so that will help. ~Farmerswife

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Catch up week

I don't have a foyer either for the front, but when you come into the house through the back door (actually the end of the house, but I call it the back...)you come into the laundry room. I did a total redo of it last spring, but it's getting cluttered, so this week my goal is to de-clutter it and finish up the living room. I never did get the curtains washed and the mantle decorated for fall. So, those are on my list of things to try to get done this week. Next weekend is not looking TOO crazy, so I might can either finish up cleaning chores, work on holiday prep or get a jump on next week. Or, I might not. We do have a game at noon on Saturday, so that will likely mess up the entire day for getting anything accomplished! LOL!!

Jingles

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
I've got a busy, busy week coming up so I'm pleased that this week is Foyer week because my "foyer" consists of a just a small entryway and closet. Both will take less than an hour to really deep clean (slate floors so I'll strip and re-wax.... love the shiny look!).

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Will post my list later, but the entry is not bad (we have it fairly minimally furnished anyway), so that will be easy enough to do.

I should also get finished on the few bits of the living room (dusting mainly) and outdoors(washing windows) that weren;t done yet. And they are not urgent if left undone (the windows were given a lick about 5 weeks ago - I just wanted to get the absolute last of the summer dust off them before winter, but it can be left slide if need be).

I need to go to a fabric shop during the week to find material for a headboard for our bed. And I need to make time for a few evenings of sewing over the coming weeks - loads of projects that need doing (headboard, curtains for our room, duvet cover and pillowslip for DD's room, 2 tote bags as gifts, dollie clothes for DD, and a couple of fleece blankets as baby gifts also).

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
No Entryway/Foyer here either so I will catch up from the first two weeks.

Over the weekend I worked on the front porch but I still have some mopping and cleaning of cobwebs that needs to occur there. I'd also like to add a couple of lovely mums to the porch...saw some huge purple ones that were beautiful at Kroger's for like 6.99 each! I'd like to also pick up the traditional yellow one because I have a red coal bucket that had summer flowers in it but they are gone so...replant it with the yellow mums.

Livingroom...still tons to do here:

Clean organize entertainment center.
Wash wondows
Clean ceiling fan
Celan baseboards
Put up the rest of the autumn decor
Clean under furniture
Find a place/way to store Evan's toys

I'm sure theres more...always wanted an entryway....this is the one week I'm glad I don't have one...LOL

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
No Entry/Foyer here either, but this week will be my time to focus on the Downstairs Hallway/Laundry area.

However, here is my list of tasks left over from Living Room week that I have squeeze in too:

What I still have left to do:

[ ] Dust/Vacuum fireplace screen, vent, hearth
[ ] Windex French doors and window (both sides of all)
[ ] Use Clorox wipes on doors where dogs have rubbed past
[ ] Use Clorox wipes on wood bar top
[ ] Dust bar stools/Vacuum or wipe out crevices where crumbs get caught/Remember to dust the legs!
[ ] Dust all items on bar and bottles
[ ] Scrub/Dry tile bar top
[ ] Scrub/Polish bar sink
[ ] Empty and reorganize top and bottom bar drawers
[ ] Go through cupboards under bar, get rid of junk, reorganize, replace
[ ] Dust all wine bottles in racks
[ ] Use vinegar to clean microwave
[ ] Clorox all bar handles, drawer pulls, etc.
[ ] Dust Baseboards
[ ] Clean up plant/Repot in new dirt?
[ ] Vacuum area rugs/Roll up and take outside/Shake off any remaining dirt
[ ] Move bar stools into hallway
[ ] Dust-mop the floor/Vacuum up piles
[ ] Mop the floor
[ ] Scrub tile flooring in front of French doors
[ ] Bring bar stools and rugs back in
[In Progress] Put up Fall decorations/Store summer ones

And now for the Downstairs Hallway/Laundry Tasks!

Which, OF COURSE, will be made more difficult by the fact that THIS week of all weeks, DH is patching drywall, re-painting and installing new bannisters in the stairway that I consider part of this hallway area.

So it could be interesting! Maybe it is a good thing I have so much left to do in the Living Room! Ha!

[ ] Assemble supplies: Duster, Windex, Paper Towels, Broom, Duster-Mop, Bucket, Rags, Pine-Sol, Vacuum, Magic Erasers, Step-stool; Rubber Gloves

[ ] Sweep down ceilings, corners and tops of doorways to get rid of any cobwebs
[ ] Dust shelf over stairs (use ceiling fan brush?)
[ ] Windex framed picture at top of stairs
[ ] Dust stairway window blinds, ledge
[ ] Dust or wash all walls, including in stairway area/Use Magic Eraser as needed
[ ] Touch up nicks in paint at top of stairs (if I can find leftover paint!)
[ ] Dust/Wipe down wire rack above washer/dryer and its contents
[ ] Dust hall table (including legs)
[ ] Wipe down washer, dryer and trash can
[ ] Wipe down trim in laundry area
[ ] Windex laundry countertop
[ ] Go through drawers/cupboards in laundry counter – relocate/throw out/donate/etc.
[ ] Windex mirror and photo frames in hallway
[ ] Clean out fridge/freezer (throw out anything expired, wipe down all shelves, etc.)
[ ] Wipe down outside and top of refrigerator
[ ] Coat closet: Remove any "off-season" items and decide whether to trash, donate, or store elsewhere
[ ] Organize cleaning supplies in closet, make sure everything is tidy and easily accessible
[ ] Replace potpourri in glass sconce
[ ] Vacuum floor (take up rugs) and steps (also behind washer and dryer), remember closet floor too!
[ ] Mop floor, including linoleum
[ ] Wash steps
[ ] Replace rugs

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
This week's list:

[] Clean outside windows on ground floor
[] Dust (properly) living room and hall/stairs/landing
[] Dust living room blinds
[] Brush ceilings and behind pictures in both areas
[] Hoover to skirtings in both rooms
[] Polish stair rail
[] Mop wooden floor in hall
[] Clean inside windows in both rooms

[x] Pay bills
[] Update budget spreadsheet
[] Wrap and send Cousin's B/Day present
[x] Arrange baby Bro's B'Day present (joint from Siblings)
[x] Arrange PIL's Christmasoops no 40th Wedding Anniversary present (GRRRR! @ DH)
[x] Update Christmas gift list and Christmas budget (including finding new Christmas pressie for PILs!)
[] Start Cards database
[] Write 10 cards from last of old cards
[] Look for new cards
[] Remind DH about making cards for couple of special folks (using photo of DD) - HIS project

[] Rip back and reknit (correctly) sleeve for cardigan for Baby boy (friend's baby)
[] Sew in tails on 8 facecloths already knit
[] Sew in tails on DD scarf (already knit)
[x] Make progress on DH's scarf (work lunchtimes project)

[x] Organise meals for week - using freezer stocks
[x] Put one new meal in freezer (made a large batch of mac'n'cheese but everyone ate loads so only 1 portion frozen!)
[x] Make 2 batches cookie dough - freeze half of each (choc with choc chips; hazelnut)

Not much progress yet, but it's going to be a busy week at work, so most of those are planned for the weekend.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Why do days off go so fast? I accomplished quite a bit yesterday, just not much from my HGP list. But now I will be freed up this week at nights to work on HGP, since I did all my other chores yesterday. Have a great day everyone. ~Farmerswife

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Only a small update:

[X] Dust/Vacuum fireplace screen, vent, hearth

I did work on the house last night, just not my HGP list really.

DH mudded nicks and scratches in the Downstairs Hallway, to be sanded and painted tonight. So that will take care of cleaning the walls in that area, or worrying about touching up paint, since we are just repainting!

I hope to work on my HGP list tonight after dinner is done. Wish me luck!

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Here I thought I had it made this week because I have a small foyer. Then I read Cathymac's post about the laundry room. Our laundry room is part of the entry from our garage and it is always the one place that never seems to get done each year. Part of it is used as a storage area and needs to be de-cluttered. Thanks Cathmac for bring it up!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
You're welcome-now will you make me get off my hiney and get busy on mine? I need to get cracking-it's already Tuesday night! I am "earmarking" Saturday to finish that room and the living room. We'll see how that works for me! LOL!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
More progress to report, just not enough to report! AARGH! I can't believe the week is half over already!

[X] Windex French doors and window (both sides of all)
[X] Use Clorox wipes on doors where dogs have rubbed past
[X] Use Clorox wipes on wood bar top

It took me FOREVER to windex the french doors and the window - UGH. All those little panes of glass!!!

DH pointed out last night that when he finishes the skylights in the Living Room it is going to make a mess.

So there are some HGP tasks for the Living Room that I am probably just going to have to skip for now. We'll put down dust sheets over things to minimize my desire to commit harry carry - but it is annoying to me that somehow my HGP plans always seem to conincide with DH's rennovation plans - thus making it harder to get the HGP done.

I'm done grousing - I'm glad he is motivated to do the work - it just gets frustrating sometimes to have to go round the barn 5 times before I can get in the front door. :)

I've got 2 more nights to work and then the rest of the week is shot. We committed to a dinner/visit to a co-workers farm on Fri night, then Sat DH invited over 2 families for football, and Sun is SIL's birthday lunch and I'm in charge of making the cake.

Between all of that and working around a construction zone - I do NOT anticipate finishing all of my tasks this week. Which stinks. But there it is.

Somebody hand me some chocolate! :)

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Back on track...

Well, how crazy is this...I completely MISSED the start of the HGP...first time in at least 10 years...totally OUT of my apparently feeble brain! I think the HGP just fits with our family's needs better than the HHP, which I tried last year. I never make it all the way through...but this year, my attitude is "hey, what gets done, gets done" and I'm trying to be more reasonable in my goals.

In any event, I got totally caught up last weekend in both the living room and the front porch. After painting the living room this past summer, we FINALLY hung the new curtains (Washed the windows first, of course!) and rearranged the furniture. Since I was on a roll, I did the windows in the dining room...but since DH and I did the front porch together, and they face out on the porch, they would need to be done anyway...even managed to buy mums for the front porch after power washing the front of the house and doing some garden clean up. WHEW...tons of work in 24 hrs...felt really good, and I'm really jazzed about being all caught up. This week's list is relatively short:

Front Entry Way:
( ) Clean out closet
( ) Wash down inside of front door
(x) Wash tile floor
(x) Wash wall sconces
(x) Clean out entry cabinet
(x) Polish cabinet
(x) Clean mirror

Garage Entry Way:
(x) Hose down rugs
( ) Clean white board with alcohol
( ) Clean inside of black bench
( ) Clean black bench
( ) Find boot tray for under bench...somewhere in the garage
( ) Talk with DH about painting this area when we do the kitchen over fall break
( ) Clean mirror

DD just has to tweak this year's Christmas Card design this weekend, and then she and I will get working on them. I also want to put together some casseroles for the freezer this weekend. We'll celebrate DD's 14th birthday a week early with the family as she has a tennis tourney on her actual birthday weekend and is having friends sleepover next Saturday nite. Its her last "big" celebration with her friends, so we'll try to keep it fun! Looks like a busy, but productive weekend coming up! Back to post my progress on Saturday!

Berta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did nothing last night! Fell asleep in front of the TV right after dinner.

UGH.

But I did find out that we are NOT hosting a gathering on Sat - we are going to someone else's house in the evening instead - SO I can use my time on Saturday to get caught up.

Thank goodness!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I am stalled this week - bananas at work (a forum with a lot of people based overseas but with Irish backgrounds are home for the weekend and there;s been a LOT of organisiing!) so I have done NOTHING at home since Monday. Last night, I had no WORK work to do at home (yes, I've had nights of that), so DH and I just opened a bottle of wine with dinner and all I could do was veg in front of the goggle box - not even with my knitting in my hands!

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
just a quick update- been lazy about the grand plan this week because of sick children (already) but hoping to get caught up next week.

I did print out the pantry & freezer inventory forms to get them started so I know what I need to get for my cookies & breads this year

HAGD
Tina

emily_hope

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Yay for me... I got all the cleaning done in our entry/foyer, which is actually a pretty large area. I include the stairs and the walkway upstairs. It wasn't an easy task, but I did it. Proud of myself.