Simplify in the Kitchen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Okay in keeping with my WORD for 2008...Simplify...I am looking for strategies to simplfy in the kitchen...these ideas might be food prep...but right now I am thinking more about organization....getting rid of clutter...setting up the pantry in a user friendly way...cutting down on the number of bowls, pots, dishes etc I have or at least grouping them better.

I would love to hear tips or ideas that have worked to streamline your kitchen and make it just a lot simplier!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've simplified my counters in a few ways. I removed 4 canisters and replaced them with 2 large glass canisters for flour and sugar. I put tea and cocoa into those lock and lock containers and put them in the cabinet. It's really cleaned up that area. I also removed my most used cookbooks from my counter near the stove and only have the toaster, a knife set and small basket with recipe cards there. (The basket would be on the shelf with the cookbooks, but our dd rips them out and tosses them on the floor. ;-) ) I've also put many snacks and all cereals into tupperware containers in the cabinets. It keeps things fresher and neater.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
My kitchen could really use a simplifying make over! I've always tried to keep things off the counters (toaster oven, coffe maker, a basket with utensils, knife block are all I really want on it), but other things have seemed to have taken over now. My island is supposed to only have a bowl of fruit and my laptop, but it tends to be the dumping ground for everything.

Some things I have done in the past that have helped simplify -

I got rid of a lot of appliances and gadgets I just didn't use (some moved to the basement, others were donated)

getting rid of the clutter on top of the fridge (I have one "large" basket on top that odds & ends get dropped in - all you see is a nice basket)

the kids' artwork now has a gallery going down the basement steps instead of on the fridge door

the schedules, etc that once hung on the fridge are now in my notebook or hanging inside a cabinet door that I hung bulletin board squares on

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I love the bulletin squares on the inside of cabinets idea!

I purchased a cute, but cheap, basket from Walmart and that is where the dumping ground is at the end of my long countertop. I also bought a plastic carton that I store snacks in on the counter so my 5 year old can easily grab them. I have a pretty red vase for loose change and a 3 leg brass pot for pens and misc. stuff. Other than those things and the phone, that's all that is on my counter (or supposed to be). I found the basket and containers helped alot and I space them out so they don't look cluttered. I go through the stuff in them whenever I get the chance so they stay looking neat.

I have a microwave cart acting as an island in my kitchen. It's wooden and has double doors and a drawer. I store my appliances in the door area and on top sits my knife set and a candle. My coffeepot is between the stove and sink, as well as a roll of paper towels and a utensil canister. I have one of those magnetic organizers on my fridge where I put cards and pens or whatever else.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm limited on space myself and here are few of the things I do.

I hang my measuring cups and spoons on the inside of cabinet doors. I think it's 3M that has those stretchy, removable hangers. So when you want to take them off you can. Be careful w/ cleaning fluids though. Mine won't stick ever since I cleaned the cabinet with 409.

I also use a plastic shoe box shaped container in pantry for my daughters snacks. Removing the stuff from the boxes really helps.

Declutter those gadgets...declutter those gadgets...did I say declutter those gadgets!!

I have a nice container next to the stove to hold my large utensils. That leaves more space in drawers for smaller items.

Limiting the number of plastic storage bowls is a must as well. I suggest matching pieces, so they store easier and the make sure all the old lids are tossed. If you don't have matching, take the time to make sure very bowl has a lid and get rid of the extra plastic bowls and lids.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love the ideas for decluttering the front of the fridge!!!! Keep on with the good ideas!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The first thing I did in my kitchen was remove any item I had more than two sets. I had several sets of measuring cups. I now have two sets. I decided I really could wash a measuring cup if I needed it more than twice. It's not that much trouble and takes less than 30 seconds to wash.

I did the same thing with my baking items. It's funny I probably took out enough to stock two kitchens but have never missed anything. I had several muffin tins. Well, I never made muffins or cupcakes so all those tins are gone. In the 5 years since I did this I've only thought about them once when I made little meat loafs. And guess what, I really didn't need them.

Now once a year I see if there is something that I'm not using and off to the thrift store it goes.

Good Luck with your kitchen. Be ruthless! Let us know how it goes.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I forgot to add my pot rack! I hung a pot rack above the island about 5 years ago and LOVE it! It's attractive and functional and clears up a TON of cabinet space.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I love to bake/cook and live in an apartment, so you could say I streamlined out of dire need. hehe :flower:

I decluttered my kitchen in stages:

First, I donated the things I never used (certain spatulas, specialty bowls, etc), trimmed back the "rarely" used, and separated out seasonal items from the regularly used ones. The seasonal goods I stored in a hutch cabinet in the dining room. I rotate things out as they're needed, but they no longer clog up the kitchen's flow.

Next, I designated zones for certain kitchen activities. For instance, one cabinet for baking with muffin pans, bread pans, cookie decorating kit, etc (kept right next to the over). Another cabinet for cooking sprays, oils, flours, etc (right above the stove). One for tupperware/plastic containers (stacked with lids vertically leaning on the sides). Another for seasonings and related items like food coloring. Yet another for pots, pans, skillets, and baking dishes, et al.

Finally, within those zones, I organized the things I use most often ("urgent" items) into the most easily accessible location (eye-level and/or within hands-reach without having to move something else to get to it or get a chair). Sort of like zones within zones. It's not hard to do. For instance, I rarely use pot lids, so I put them in the back of the pots/pans zones, and I rarely use powdered sugar or baker's chocolate, so I put those at the top back shelf of the seasonings cabinet.

I especially love the mini zones in my food pantry. From bottom to top, I have a breakfast shelf (cereals, oatmeal, and breakfast bars easily grabbed in the front; pancake mix, syrup, surplus supplies, etc in the back of the shelf) and a separate lunch shelf (bread, peanut butter, sandwich baggies in the front; canned soups, tuna fish, etc in the back). Above that is a shelf where I store canned fruit, vegetables, beans, and broths in the back of the shelf and small snack items in the front (easily grabbed for lunch) like mixed nuts, dried fruits, applesauce, etc. Then above that, I have an Italian shelf devoted to pasta boxes on one side and sauce jars on the other, and a separate starch/grains shelf (potatoes, stuffing, different rices, couscous, et al). On the very top, I store little things we rarely touch (like popcorn or dried beans) and on the very bottom shelf, I store big or heavy supplies.

To make sure no food goes bad, I place new jars/boxes/cans in the back/bottom of stacks/rows and we always grab from the top/front. It's like with our bathroom towels, where I place the fresh ones on the bottom and we grab from the top. We keep a magnetic memo pad and pen on the fridge, so when something runs out, we quickly jot it down. When planning my shopping, based on our menu plan, I decide whether or not we need the items. I also quickly glance in the different zones to double check I didn't forget or mistakenly think I need something.

Some other space/time-savers:

• I use magnetic hooks on the side of the fridge to keep one set of oven mitts and one set of pot holders. One kitchen towel goes on the oven door. Extra mitts/towels/etc go in the dining room hutch and I rotate them and declutter them periodically.
    [/*:m:8d403]
  • I keep a sturdy basket on top of the fridge for the occasional triscuits, pretzels, girl scout cookies, extra big box of cereal, etc. This is easily moved when I want to grab a cookbook from the shelf above it (and I only keep a few of those, along with a small plastic index card holder where I store my favorite recipes on index cards).
  • Kitchen broom and swiffer go in the utility room, stored on hooks for when I need to sweep/mop. Other kitchen cleaning supplies, extra kitchen sponges and soap, etc are stored in a plastic container under the kitchen sink. There is also a small bucket with my regular household supplies (windex, pledge, towels, rubber gloves, duster, dust mask). It's quick and easy to grab for my weekly house blessing (I'm a FLYbaby).
  • At my kitchen sink, I keep a sponge in a bathroom soap dish (keeps area nice and dry) and some dish soap. That's it. The counter to the side there is my main prep space. I keep it empty by washing dishes throughout the day and "shining" my sink (another FLYbaby reference).
  • The small counter to the left of the oven holds a vertical utensil organizer with spatulas, ladles, etc (I had a bulky rotating one until I got this perfect flat one that fits the space perfectly: SimpleHuman. It even has a detachable spoon rest. I recommend!). The long counter to the right of the oven has a rice cooker, vertical knife block (tip: some people put magnets on their knives and store them against their fridge or against the wall behind their stove), toaster oven, blender, George Foreman grill, and microwave -- my essentials that I use very often. They line the wall. There is nothing in front of them, no trinkets or doo-dads, so the space serves for prep. It's all business.
  • On top of the microwave, I keep a breakfast tray where I can store a rare tupperware of cookies, fruit that needs to ripen, or things that need a temporary home (like right now, I'm trying to figure out a system for my beloved bento lunch -- my bento box, chopsticks, food picks, etc). Other essentials that I don't use as often, like my bread maker or food processor, I store in less "urgent" places.
  • I keep aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and large storage bags all in the same drawer along with some masking tape and a Sharpie for marking leftover foods (I jot the date down quickly so we know to eat it before it goes bad) and some clothespins to use as food clips for cereal bags, pretzels, etc.
  • I keep it simple. No keeping junk I don't need/use/positively adore. For instance, unless you have a physical reason, you don't need an electronic can opener (a handheld one will do, and it'll fit so easily in a drawer). I have a toaster oven (I love love love), so I don't need a regular bread toaster. My rice cooker has a veggie steamer in the top, so I don't need a separate electronic steamer (and the only reason I have my rice cooker is because it's tiny and earns its keep! -- and again, I love love love it!). And how many X,Y, Z of the same thing does a person really need (spatulas, whisks, baking sheets, cutting boards, cups, mugs, etc)? It becomes clutter, just another thing in the way, after a certain point. Clean it up, get back to the basics and your creative energies will thank you. I also like to think that each item deserves to be used and appreciated. So if I'm not filling that spot, I need to set the item free so whoever gets my donated good can appreciate it as it deserves!.
  • And most importantly, now that I've decluttered, I don't shop for more. I treasure the quiet space. I function so well without the junk, I realize that enough really is enough (and then some!). No more is needed, and I don't want it either.[/*:m:8d403]

I hope you found a gem or two from what works for me personally. Good luck!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wo! exhaustive list starflake!
I could add that my DSIL keeps a tray above the microwave where she stores her tablemats for everyday use.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Great ideas...I love the bulletin board stuff inside cabinet doors...I can think of a ton of uses and it would help the fridge a lot. I really would like the pot rack but am not sure who could/would install it for me...not DH...the whole ceiling would probably come down..LOL

I need to make note of several of these I want to try..!!

Keep them coming!!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
:haha: I did get a bit carried away, luludou. I'm rather passionate about efficient, conscious living.

Another great motivation is to have a designated reward upon completion. For me, I had this one nasty, ugly spoon that was partly melted. So after I finished decluttering, I chucked out the old piece of junk and DH and I adopted a very silly and entirely adorable spoon we dubbed Mr. Happy Spoon (see the little guy on the left here). He sits in my utensil organizer and brightens up my day as I cook -- a symbol of my hard work and a reminder to smile. :) He especially likes to make banana bread and blueberry muffins. :grin:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
starflake,
Excellent ideas. As I was reading I was thinking you sounded like a Flybaby! Then I saw your note. You've embraced the Flylady method so very well!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Wow! I'm very inspired by all of your ideas and tips! You are some ORGANIZED girls!!

I am finding this very helpful. I am in the (very long and drawn out process) of decluttering, redecorating and streamlining my kitchen. I want the cabinets to look like Ina Garten's from the Barefoot Contessa on FoodNetwork. It's very spare and clean, yet it's so warm and friendly feeling. I just love it. She has black countertops and white cabinets, and the only things on the counter appear to be potted herbs. I am slowly but surely heading that way myself...I won't have black countertops and white cabinets, but maybe I can get the clean, crisp look with what I have. I am incorporating a French Country feel, using black and white, with yellow, blue, red and green accent pieces.

I've worked over the past two summers getting things done in the kitchen. As others have mentioned, the insides of my cabinets look like a bulletin board. I find it very convenient for recipes, weekly menus, telephone numbers, special notes from DH or the kids, and whatever else I need close and easily accessable. I also moved all the photos and things from the fridge. I like it lean and clean. I use the side of the fridge closest to the kitchen door as a school center...the monthly school calender goes up there with a magnet, and that's also where I put things I need to remember to send back-permission slips, field trip details, etc. Other things like school menus, etc go into my school notebook. I've found that if it's something I need to remember to send back, I'd better be able to see it on my way out the door!! I have ONE photo of each child glued to a magnet and on the front of the fridge, very neatly displayed.

I moved all my dishes to the lower part shelves of a corner cabinet. That way anyone can unload the dsihwasher and/or set the table. (not that anyone does without prodding...but still!) I also have a shelf on the bottom of that cabinet where I put some glasses and mugs that we don't use every day. I put my holiday stuff in the bottom of the pantry. I have a big shelf in there for my Christmas goblets, linens and other Christmas things. The Christmas dishes are under the glasses and linens, in a plastic box that I can slide out to get things out of. That seems to be working well for me right now.

I have a copper tray beside the stove with an antique crock filled with utensils on it. It also has my seasonings, oils and vinegars that I use often. It's worked nicely to corral all of the necessary clutter, but I'm looking for a place to move it so that I can get that crisp, streamlined look I so crave! I have exactly 4 drawers in my entire house, not counting dresser drawers. They are all in the kitchen-we have NO drawers in either bathroom. Obviously, this house was designed by a man. I am looking for a convenient cabinet that I can clear out and put the tray in. I'll let you know how that goes for me!! LOL!

I'm taking notes!! Keep the good stuff coming!!!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Ahorsesoul said:
starflake,
Excellent ideas. As I was reading I was thinking you sounded like a Flybaby! Then I saw your note. You've embraced the Flylady method so very well!!

Thank you. I remember reading that you're a Flybaby, too. :pink: I resisted becoming "scheduled" like you did, and then I figured I'd give it a try and see whether or not I was wrong. Boy was I glad to be wrong! I love her ideas. They're so inspiring and have simplified my life. I don't even feel scheduled. I just do my little increments and then the rest of my life is free to be lived. :grin:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
starflake said:
I just do my little increments and then the rest of my life is free to be lived. :grin:

This is a great motto for living life with flylady! It is so true.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great ideas and tips!

I have been a big fan of simplifying in the kitchen for a while now!

I'm lucky in that I really do have a lot of storage space - but for a while there is was getting really out of hand with so much STUFF shoved everywhere!

I also got rid of a lot of rarely - if ever - used gadgets. I also got rid of most of my one-use items. DMIL had given me a whole load of things someone else got rid of fromt their kitchen - a bread slicer, salad spinner, etc. Not things I would ever use - so I quietly donated them to Goodwill. ;-)

One space saving trick I've used is to attach wooden clothespins to the inside of the spice cupboard door.

I use them to keep my various paper packets of spices organized and out of the way. Everything from Onion Soup Mix, to Taco Seasoning, to Ranch Dressing mix, etc.

I did have to use heavy duty doublestick tape (3M, I think?) that DH got for me from the hardware store.

To keep my measuring cups and spoons organized I dedicated one small drawer to each of them.

I do so much baking and cooking that this really pays off for me. Nothing is overcroweded, I can see what I have and it is great!

One big clutter element for me used to be cookie cutters. To fix that I bought a nice Rubbermaid tote, not a big one, just medium sized with a good snap on lid.

All of my cookie cutters go in the tote and the tote gets stored in my spare room closet - just steps from the kitchen if I need it.

I do nest my frying pans but I layer a practice piece of knitting between them so they don't get scratched.

But when I reorganized my kitchen last I tried really, really hard to keep my pots and pans very easy to get to and get out of the cupboard.

I got rid of things I absolutely didn't need, and spread as much as I could out between cupboards.

My sole remaining struggle is the Tupperware cupboard - it is always a mess!

:slap:

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
When I had my new kitchen made, the carpenters put an extra shelf in each of my cupboards, so that I use all the usually wasted space at the top of the cupboard! This has given me lots more space coupled with a major declutter! Like snowflake I only keep what I use regularly!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I found new homes for all of my oils, vinegars, salt and pepper, cooking oil sprays, etc that was on the copper tray, and now all I have on that particular counter is a vintage crock filled with utensils that I use almost daily-wooden spoons, can opener, spatulas, etc. I put the tray itself in the bottom of the pantry, just waiting for a visitor to come sit on the porch and be served iced tea and cookies off of it! I am slooooowwwllllyyyy getting my kitchen to look and feel the way I want it to. Honestly, it functions well-and I should know, since I cook everyday almost. But there is always room for improvement, right?

I'm loving all these great ideas!