Staying on Budget

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
These ideas are so great everyone. I am trying the cash only idea this year. I've already started doing it concerning my husband's birthday and the kids' school supplies. I really like the idea of gift bags/baskets because it feels more personal and ends up being cheaper than bigger gifts.
My childrens' teachers were great last year in that the roommoms gave us a certain amount to cover gifts for the beginning of the semester and the end of the semester. If I felt like doing any extra, it was in the form of a gift card which was a lesser amount than usual since I had already contributed to the class fund.
I've decided to wait later on gifts for the kids because their lists change so much up until the holidays. Plus, as they get older, they get pickier. The only gifts that I have gotten them so far are stocking stuffers.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Minta and Sweetpumpkinpye - I'm so glad StressLess posted in this thread again because I had missed your very smart advice. Minta - breaking up sets and yard sales are grand ideas. I don't want the stuff anymore - why hand on to it! SPP - Giving trees are also fabulous - so many times adults get left out at Christmas. I'll contact a social service organization and see if I can connect with some adult giving. Thanks everyone!

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
This is a great thread. I'm afraid I am in some credit card debt already and as I'm starting Uni and I don't have full time job in the meantime, I am basically struggling to meet the minimum payments. However I plan on using the majority of my student loan to pay them back and spending the least I've ever spent. I think its a good thing, but all of this advice is vital to me managing any Christmas at all.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Mic elle - There are so many wonderful, creative, thoughtful ways to celebrate the special people in your life at Christmas and many of them just take some time and thoughtfulness. Maybe I'll start a new thread about that for CIJ.....hmmmmmm.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kim great idea. There have got to be lots of ideas out there that we can all share to make life cheaper and easier.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This REALLY does deserve LOT of thought!!! The gifts that do not involve money --- and yet SHOW us how truly someone cares for us --- these are absolutely THE BEST GIFTS of all!!!! These precious gifts are wonderful to receive! I think that THESE are the gifts that adults REALLY want to receive -- gifts that show how much someone cares!!!

If Kim Loves Snow DOES decide to lead such a wonderful thread..... then let's work WITH her! This is so worthwhile..... it will be beneficial to us all!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm on it, ladies. Watch for it to appear soon!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I aim to help my budget a LOT this year - there are good sales on this summer and I have picked up some lovely things to make hampers with. But I ahve also picked up a LOT of fabric in the sales too - I was lucky yesterday, as it was my first chance to get to the fabric store since the sales began, and the prices all dropped again yesterday too, so the girls on the counter were commenting on the great value I was getting. I think I got 14 metres of fabric, the wool for 3 jumpers (and patterns), and a few other fixings for under €150!! (Yes, that is good value as fabric is not cheap here, but it is still cheaper than buying everything).

I am planning a pair of Christmas PJs for DD, a couple of quilts (using some new and some remnants alreay at home), a few crayon and makeup brushes holders, and a few purses to go with the brushes, a pair of shorts for DD, and a load of other ideas!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Winged one what a great bargain. You crafts to do list sounds great. The people who receive your hand made crafts will be very lucky indeed.