Stocking Up For Winter

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks about stocking up during this time of year. I'm in West Tennessee and don't really worry about snow, but we have had weather that takes us by surprise (ice storm and windstorm) that has taken us by surprise before. I try to keep canned foods, crackers, Ramen noodles, breakfast bars, Pop Tarts, water and juice boxes (small kids) at all times. I am thinking about getting one of those camping stoves this year.

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
Winged One,
I agree with you..... Not just for storms now, but after talking to my DH last night, we decided to do this for the economy reasons as well. You just never know. Batteries,flahlights, boxed food, canned food, water, dry milk, first aid items, juices, etc. Im going to start this weekend and make a little area in a spare bedroom for these items

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm also thinking about stocking up on some things now rather than later! If things go the way I'm afraid they will, inflation will be really bad. If my dollar is worth more now, I want now to be the time I go out and buy things I've been putting off.

A good pair of tennis shoes for me, for example, is something I've been needing and putting off. We got DH a new pair last week, and I'm glad we did.

It's so hard to really know what is going to happen, and I don't want to be "gloom and doom" but I also want to be as prepared as I can.

I was going to do a "lighter" grocery list this week since last week's trip to Meijer saw a new pair of shoes and a big bag of dog food sky rocketing our normal reciept amount to more than double. But I think I'll be stocking up instead.

:?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bump! I need to revisit this and prepare for the upcoming winter

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Can be added:
- Tissue paper
- TP
- Cold & flu remedies - because when you feel low is not the time you want to go out to the pharmacy
- wood for the stove (if you have a woodstove like we do)
- Get the propane thank filled up before winter for the propane fireplace (Done!)

this site is interesting: http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/kts/bsc-kt-eng.aspx
and the red-cross http://www.redcross.ca/what-we-do/emergencies-and-disasters-in-canada/for-home-and-family/get-a-kit

and I have found this tip:
a full freezer not only saves you money, because it does not cycle on and off as often, but it is suppose to keep your foods frozen up to 3 days in the event of a power outage. If your freezer is not full then you can begin saving milk jugs and fill them with water to put in your freezer to take up space. This will help keep things frozen in the event that you loose power for a prolonged time. from here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/prepareforwinter.htm

They even sell kits at Costco's! http://www.costco.ca/.product.10001...rypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

I also have a pinterest board about emergency preparedness. Now I need to figure out a space to put the stuff together instead of having things all over the house!

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
And... if you wear eyeglasses, it is a good idea to have that prescription on hand also. I've had family lose prescription eye glasses while boating on Lake Tahoe and running to the 1-Hour Eye center is more convenient (and cheaper!) than an emergency eye-exam and fast glasses.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Here in the South, we aren't as likely to lose power the way those of you up North do, but I still like to have some things on hand just in case.

TFS, everyone. I may actually have time to look at this tonight!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As I am here as well i'm kinda far from a store as i'm up on an old mountain road,so i'm preparing stocking up and getting kerosene lamps and candles as well.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
After a few milder winters the past few years, I have a feeling that this year will be a harsher one again. (No real reason, just a gut feeling - long range forecasts are never particularly accurate for Ireland). So I am revisiting this as well. Thanks Lulu for the bump.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Now is the time to order your firewood. Once that first cool snap hits your pickens get slim. I have firewood starters on my list of things to buy this week.

Hopefully next week I can talk hubby into going to pick up a load of firewood for the rack. We have very mild winters but it only takes one extended outage in an all electric home to wish you'd prepared.

Most stores are inundated with flannel pj's, thicker socks, coats and warm clothing right now. I know it makes you break out into a sweat when it's still so warm out, but seize the opportunity and get those winter clothing items you need now.

One thing I like to do this time of year, while the veggies are all fresh, is make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup (without the potatoes-they don't freeze well), corn soup, chicken and sausage gumbo, seafood gumbo, chili and homemade chicken soup. Once cooled, I divide these into individual serving containers for DH and I and freeze. The freezer shelf life on all of these are 4-6 months. By February, our winter is winding down. In the meantime it sure fills the void with warm nutritious meals on those crazy busy holiday weeks ahead.

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
This is a wonderful thread. Todd works for a concrete company and sometimes in the winter there is no work, so I try to stock up on all these things. Wtih the help of y'all, I have started a new, more comprehensive list.

Ellen - I buy disposable containers from the restaurant supply stores and make my soups and stews in big batches also and divide into single servings and freeze.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
A good time to pick up extra flashlight espeically when the camping stuff starts going on clearance sales. Extra batteries for those flashlights too.

Still need to refill my back up propane tank for the gas grill. We have electric cooking and no indoor fireplace. In case of a power outage I want plenty of propane gas for the gill so I can still at least cook.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Propane - check
Wood - check
Cold & flu remedies - check

Need to go buy another big flashlight, some candles, and more shelf food.