Summer BBQ season!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Well, we have just started BBQ season! My DH & I held our first BBQ of the year last Saturday, we shared the evening with some friends and had a lovely evening al fresco! Over did it on the food and had loads left over, so we invited MIL & FIL over on Sunday afternoon and 4 of DD8 friends and started again for round 2.

I love this time of year, as it is so social and thanks to you lovely ladies here I can throw a BBQ together in under an hour! Anyone else held any BBQ's?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I BBQ as often as I can year around. Sometimes it's even snowing when I have the grill going. Takes a little longer to cook when it's cold but it sure tastes good.

I did steaks for Mother's day. Actually my ds did them for me. Glad you are enjoying the BBQ season!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We have grilled a few times for just us, but not as a social event yet. We are having DSgoingtobe8's birthday party on Memorial weekend, so I guess that will count. We are having hamburgers, hot dogs and trimmings, along with cake and ice cream. His birthday is actually mid-week (May 20), but they are still in school until the next week, so we'll do it on the weekend.

Incidently, DS was born exactly 2 years to the day of DH and my first date!! The doctor who delivered Benjie got a real kick out of that little piece of trivia! He laughed the whole time Benjie was being born. I, on the other hand, was not nearly as amused!

luvbooks

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
We had one last Sat. evening, my dad was passing through town so we made a feast:

grilled chicken
stuffed jalapenos (so good, my hubby has perfected these)
grilled corn on the cob
fried taters

everything was so good we were joking that anyone passing by our house on a walk would be tempted to climb over the fence and see what was on our grill!! ( we live on corner lot)

I can't wait to add watermelon!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
luvbooks,

those stuffed jalapenos sound great, will your dh share the recipe?

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
We had our third annual DH b-day party this year. It's always Mother's day weekend. This year we didn't invite anyone but they all came anyway-and more! It was a miserable weekend, though so we set up makeshift plywood and sawhorse tables in the garden shed and had lobster and corn-cheeseburgers and dogs, as well for the kids! We have a vacant lot next to our house that our nieghbor lets our friends put their campers on so it's great-the kids go to sleep and then it's grown-up time! :happybd:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We've had a couple of barbecues. I love having people over for barbecues because with a few different kinds of meat and sauce its much easier to please everyone than to pick one meal choice.

Does anyone make up their own burgers? I made a recipe that came in our local grocery flyer the other night and they were pretty awful...kind of the texture of bread pudding rather than burgers.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well we went to a neighborhood barbeque yesterday....of course when the tornado siren started going off that put a bit of a damper on it....LOL...lucky we had already eaten!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
A month ago I was ready to lite up the grill, ran to the store, bought some steaks. Told the dear hubby to light the grill up while I was gone, but when I came home it was still off. I thought he forgot, but he told me to take a look inside. There was a HUGE birds nest with 6 green eggs. So that put a HUGE damper on my spring grilling. After several weeks we checked and things weren't right in there. Something had gotten in there and messed with the eggs. So yesterday we cleaned it out, burned it out a bit and we're GOOD TO GO!! YEAH!!!

It was fun joking around though about cooking Green Eggs and Ham for dinner or Steak and Eggs on the grill.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We volunteered our old, worn out, terrible looking but still functional grill to the youth group to take on the recent float trip. Let's just say it didn't travel well. When we went to light it to cook the burgers and dogs for the birthday/Memorial Day party, it wouldn't light. DH said the gobbled gook mumbo jumbo was messed up...and we might as well resign ourselves to a new grill. Since it was not in the budget for Saturday (and we wouldn't have had time to go get one if it had been), we cooked the burgers on the electric griddle and the dogs in the microwave. They were ok, but it was not the same.

So, in a couple of weeks, we'll be grill shopping. We knew this day was coming...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the green eggs and ham joke. Sorry about the nest but glad you have your grill back.

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
We grill all year long. I do make my own teriyaki burgers. I do not like the store maybe ones that are flat, with no fillings inside, that dry out fast.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
mommytotwo,
How do you make your teriyaki burgers?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, the night I was joking about the green eggs and ham, I have to admit, I kept tossing out these corny jokes and literally I was only amusing myself. I'm glad someone else can appreciate my humor!!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
We started the this year's BBQ season last weekend on Saturday!
This is something I really like in the summer season!

And my hubby is always very happy when we have BBQ...

Usually he doesn't like cooking and the stuff around this... But when
we have a BBQ then he is the boss. No one should come too close to the
grill because this is "his" area :-D ;-)

Then I always have this picture in mind: My hubby as a cave man in Stone Age
roasting a piece of meat in a fire after hunting... :rotflol:

Chilli

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ahorsesoul said:
mommytotwo,
How do you make your teriyaki burgers?

1 pound ground beef
1 egg
2 slices of bread, broke up into small pieces
3 gloves of garlic, grated
1 nub of fresh ginger, grated
2 stalks green onion, chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. sake-Japanese rice wine
Dash of pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. milk

Make the wet mixture, mix together, then add in the ground beef. Form into patties, put the patties into the freezer for about 1-2 hours or overnight to set, then grill.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
tfs, I've copied the recipe and will try it this weekend.

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ahorsesoul said:
tfs, I've copied the recipe and will try it this weekend.

Great, let me know what you think of it. If it is too strong tasting, just lessen the soy sauce, and sugar a bit.