Super Bowl parties, plans and recipes.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Belles

Retire Member
Only one week before the big game; how are you planning to celebrate? It dosen't even matter that our teams didn't make it, it's still a wonderful excuse to get together for fun, fellowship and FOOD. I posted some of my favorite Desset Cheese Balls on my blog, I know I'm making some of those...I'll work on my menu today and post it later. What are you planning?

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I'm so bummed...I haven't watched football in probably 20 years...have a new S/O and have watched every game (sometimes several at once!) every Sunday. We moved out to California, so we don't have family here or lots of friends so it was going to be just the 2 of us. BUT he had to fly back to the East Coast and won't be home til next Monday!! I'm disappointed because I really wanted to watch with him, but that's ok. Not sure if I'll watch (the Giants blew it at the end of the season! lol) or go shopping! lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm going to a friend's house. The husband is from Louisiana and is SO excited about the Saints being in the Super Bowl.

There will tons of food! I'm excited because I actually get to eat this time!

I'm planning on making my "Traveling Taco" which is always a hit.

It's basically a 7-layer dip but I lay it out on a pizza pan.

It's visually gorgeous.

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
No superbowl food for me!! I've got a colonoscopy on the 8th... so the 7th I can only eat bouillon.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is a fun thread - thank you for starting it Belles!

AnnieClaus -- I'm so happy that you will be celebrating by watching the Super Bowl! Your Travelling Taco sounds wonderful!

Luludou -- good for you for getting that very important test!

Last year, we had a big bunch of people over to watch the Super Bowl. To tell the truth, it got a little uncomfortable. Kind of squished. This time we are thinking about having fewer guests!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Dang, Belles, I knew right when I was posting that, I should have just included the recipe.

Traveling Taco:

Ingrediants:

1 Pound Ground beef (or turkey)
1 packet taco seasoning
I large can refried beans
milk- just a splash
sour cream- 16 oz container
salsa- Jar of prepared
cheddar cheese- shredded
1 small can sliced black olives
tomatoes- diced
green onions- sliced in small circles
Pizza Pan
Tortilla chips

Cook ground beef and add taco seasoning (according to seasoning packet)
Let cool!
Put can of refried beans in a sauce pot, add the splash of milk and heat until barely warm, stirring often
Let cool!

Take your pizza pan and spread the beans over the pan- leave about 2" of space at the edge of the entire pan.

On top of the beans, spoon your hamburger meat.
On top of the hamburger, spoon your sour cream
On top of the sour cream- spoon your olives

In the 2" space that you left- spoon your salsa.
On top of the salsa, spoon your tomatoes.

As you do your toppings- you should make them into smaller and smaller circles. For ex: Your 1st circle of the beans will be the biggest, then your next circle of hamburger will be smaller than the beans, then your next circle of sour cream will be smaller than the hamburger, etc.

Over the entire pan- sprinkle your cheese and your green onions.

Serve with tortilla chips and watch it disappear!

This recipe leaves a lot of room for play- layer your toppings in whatever order you like. I don't think I've ever done one the same way twice- except for the beans and hamburger layers.

Also, you can add whatever (taco) toppings you like. I'm thinking avocado slices or even guacamole, shredded beef or chicken.

Important Note: If you are taking this to a party, do not do the salsa part until you get to your destination. I had salsa all over my car one time.

A good way to pack it for travel is to lay the whole pizza pan on foil and wrap it up and around.
I have taken this to many parties and it does travel well- as long as you prepare!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
The boys have requested: shrimp poppers, cheese sticks, jalapeno poppers and cheese dip. You know that I'll be having salad and veggies as well. I am thinking I might grill burgers and smoked turkey sausages and have a make your own burger bar. I might do a pot of chili, too, then we can have leftovers later in the week.

As far as I know right now it'll be just us. I haven't heard of anyone having a party. I'd love to, but most of our friends either don't watch football or will be at church for most of the first half. We'll probably skip the evening service.

Belles

Retire Member
~Cathy did you see my post on toast cups? Great brunch idea. Your menu sounds wonderful, we haven't done burgers in a while, I might do that instead of wings and just do a Chicken Wing Dip instead. Still working on my menu, riding to Party City after work to pick up a few things. If I feel like it, jaw still sore from wisdom tooth.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Only one week before the big game; how are you planning to celebrate? It dosen't even matter that our teams didn't make it, it's still a wonderful excuse to get together for fun, fellowship and FOOD. I posted some of my favorite Desset Cheese Balls on my blog, I know I'm making some of those...I'll work on my menu today and post it later. What are you planning?

Belle's i am bookmarking your blog, you have some delicious sounding recipes there!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Dang, Belles, I knew right when I was posting that, I should have just included the recipe.

Traveling Taco:

Ingrediants:

1 Pound Ground beef (or turkey)
1 packet taco seasoning
I large can refried beans
milk- just a splash
sour cream- 16 oz container
salsa- Jar of prepared
cheddar cheese- shredded
1 small can sliced black olives
tomatoes- diced
green onions- sliced in small circles
Pizza Pan
Tortilla chips

Cook ground beef and add taco seasoning (according to seasoning packet)
Let cool!
Put can of refried beans in a sauce pot, add the splash of milk and heat until barely warm, stirring often
Let cool!

Take your pizza pan and spread the beans over the pan- leave about 2" of space at the edge of the entire pan.

On top of the beans, spoon your hamburger meat.
On top of the hamburger, spoon your sour cream
On top of the sour cream- spoon your olives

In the 2" space that you left- spoon your salsa.
On top of the salsa, spoon your tomatoes.

As you do your toppings- you should make them into smaller and smaller circles. For ex: Your 1st circle of the beans will be the biggest, then your next circle of hamburger will be smaller than the beans, then your next circle of sour cream will be smaller than the hamburger, etc.

Over the entire pan- sprinkle your cheese and your green onions.

Serve with tortilla chips and watch it disappear!

This recipe leaves a lot of room for play- layer your toppings in whatever order you like. I don't think I've ever done one the same way twice- except for the beans and hamburger layers.

Also, you can add whatever (taco) toppings you like. I'm thinking avocado slices or even guacamole, shredded beef or chicken.

Important Note: If you are taking this to a party, do not do the salsa part until you get to your destination. I had salsa all over my car one time.

A good way to pack it for travel is to lay the whole pizza pan on foil and wrap it up and around.
I have taken this to many parties and it does travel well- as long as you prepare!

Sounds delicious! I would love to see a pic of the finished product :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Before I could get around to inviting our friends over to watch the Super Bowl -- they sent an email inviting us. (And one other couple.) So - we will go to their house -- bringing food and drinks. Like Cathymac -- I am planning to bring vegetable dishes -- homemade cole slaw and fresh fruit salad (with yougurt).

Our grocery store has a freezer with Baskin Robbin ice Cream Cakes. And they have some adorable, chocolate football cakes. Something to think about! (All right -- I realize that they are NOT good for the diet.) I don't mean "diet". I mean "healthy eating plan".

I LOVE to watch the commercials during the Super Bowl! The "air time" is so expensive that agencies try to use their best talent to create the ads. The ads are available on the internet, after the Super Bowl airs.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
First~the traveling taco sounds delish. I make a layered taco dip too...which I soooo love. I don't use beans though. Maybe I will make that for the game.

We haven't really discussed what we're doing. We aren't big fans of either team, so we'll just be at home watching. I'll probably make the taco dip, some wings, some poppers and some brownies for us. I'll have veggies and low fat dip too.

Blessings,
Lisa

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
We are going to my inlaws for Superbowl. I'm not sure what all she is making.

I plan on making these pinwheel rollup thingys. Not sure of the exact name. Mix up softened cream cheese with chopped green onion and chopped black olives. Spread a thin layer over a soft tortilla. Roll up and slice into pinwheels. They are so easy and so yummy!

I will probably make some kind of dessert something too or maybe my chili/cheese dip since my husband loves that.

I love football and cant wait for the game. I dont really care who wins i'm just hoping for an exciting game with great commercials :)

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I don't know for sure what we are doing. It may just be the 2 of us. And because of church we will not get to see all of it. However, our Sunday evening starts at 6:00. Belles I also make the Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball. I love it. Annie I also make your traveling taco. I made several of them for DS#1 wedding reception.
Everyone's menu sounds great. So that got me inspired to do something even if it will DH and myself.

Belles

Retire Member
Well our plans are definite...Super Bowl Birthday Bash! We're celebrate DS girlfriends birthday.
Menu~ Grilled Wings, Brats, Itailian Pasta Salad, Rare Roast Beef Sandwiches with Provolone and Horseradish Mustard, Ranch Cheese Ball with crackers, Mexican Dip wtih Tortillas
Cupcakes (for the birthday girl) She doesn't like cake
Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Peanut Butter Brownie Bites
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Ball with Cookies

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
DH and I will be watching (with the boys) so we'll probably just do heavy appetizers and a tray of brownies (DS4's request). I'm a little sad that it will be just us, but with the snowstorm...it doesn't look like anyone will be going out!