table top christmas trees

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
I will be moving up north this summer (when I say north I mean Northern Manitoba in Canada) and the trees don't grow much higher than 3 feet. I will have to settle for a tabletop Christmas Tree this year. Any decorating suggestions?
I want to keep it simple, most trees like this are decorating with smaller decorations and smaller lights. I have tiny white lights so that is a start...........................

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Small clothes (mittens, socks, ),... or a gingerbread man theme...

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I've seen some really sweet tabletop trees! What an opportunity!
If you want country -now is a good time of year to pick up those large galvanized ice buckets, etc. they make great containers for your tree! Or you could use a terra cotta pot that you hand paint-or just wrap your container with burlap and tie it with a beautiful Christmas ribbon. If you want something a little more elegant you could use a large glass container and fill it with your choice of materials-colored or white stones, cranberries and /or
oranges. Popcorn garland would be nice and light for those little boughs! I think the key is simplicity!

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
I did one for my dad's room at the nursing home last year.

I crocheted tiny snowflakes, used wine glass charms as ornaments, downsized family pictures - printed them- and hung them on the tree, used Mardi Gras beads as garlands. . .

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
If you are going to put presents with the tree, you might want to plan a big-enough table to hold everything. And it would give you the opportunity to use little twinkling Christmas lights elsewhere, in addition to those on the tree. They could outline a window or be around a doorway - anywhere.

MerryHOHOHO

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Maryland
my sister in law had one once and put it on her table and wrapped the table like a big present. It made the tree feel like a larger part of the room. just a thought!
good luck on the move

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I have a couple smaller table top trees.. one has a gingerbread/candy theme and the other had small little wooden ornaments and jingle bells.

Hope you find something you love.

Good luck with the move.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I have several table top trees as well. One is gingerbread which is in my kitchen. I decorated another with gift box ornaments I found in the Dollar store. Another tree is decorated with mini faux apples, one with poinsettia garland and clip-on candle ornaments.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I bought a 2 foot tall, green ceramic one at Pier One's 90% off sale last year. It will either look very very good or very very........

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
A couple of years ago I was sick of the dog's tails knocking off my ornaments so I decided to elevate the tree. I hauled in my round metal patio table that has a hole in it for the umbrella and put a smaller tree on top of that. I made a tablecloth/treeskirt for it and set up a village all around the base of the tree and all the cords for the village and the tree lights went up through that umbrella hole. I have a picture of it in photobucket (my account there is also deckr8r) but for some reason I cannot get back in to photobucket on this computer to link it. Anyway the table worked great but my family was bummed we had such a small tree so I didn't use it again.

chrisaholic

Retire Member
Nov 24, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
I have several table top trees too. On one I use white lights, fuzzy, glittery snowflakes, and snowman ornaments. I put fake snow around the base. This would fit with the white lights that you have.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
For the last few years I've used a table top tree in my dining room. My new condo, though, has an open floor plan, so the big tree is going in the living room and will be visible from the dining room. I'm thinking of using my table top tree in my bedroom. I have a pink, cream and rose quilt on the bed, so I'm hoping to find some ornaments in those colors. I have a pink angel tree topper that I plan to use.