Thanksgiving in Canada

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Since we celebrate Thanksgiving a bit earlier than our friends to the south, thought I would ask what our Canadian members are doing next weekend.
For hubby and me, not sure yet, our son and his wife are going to her side of the family, and not sure if any other family member is cooking dinner, so will wait until Thursday and see, may have to find a very small turkey to cook for 2

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
It's just me and my husband this year for Thanksgiving, and I'm debating whether or not to get a turkey, cook a chicken, or get some kind of turkey breast. We really don't have room in our freezer for all the leftovers that come with having a turkey.
One thing I know is there will be cranberry sauce -- my favourite part of the meal.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Re: Thanksgiving in Canada 2008

Hope everyone in Canada is preparing for their Thanksgiving next week!!!! You all are on countdown.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Is anyone in Canada having a hard time finding cranberries? Everyone had them advertised this week, but no one seemed to actually have any. I'm wondering if this was a bad year for them?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I always have a hard time finding fresh cranberries! I can find them canned or frozen, fresh needs a bit of work!! Apple cider was in short supply (none!) on the weekend too! :thud:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Whole fresh cranberries is something I find is hard to find during non-holiday times. I buy them when I see them during the Holiday season and toss them into the freezer. During the holidays here it's hit and miss if their stocked.

Wal-Mart has already started their Holiday baking goodies display. I've have a little stock of Libby's canned pumpkin. I like the small cans but can't seem to find the small cans on the off season. If I get a big can I usually freeze the extra but always forget I have it in the freezer.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
No, actually I've seen a lot of fresh cranberries at my local Sobey's grocery store...but my family prefers the kind in the can. We pretty much have everything we need for the dinner. We just have to see if my SIL and BIL are coming or going to the Feast at their mom's place (They have a feast and gifting one year after a family member dies...they are Native Canadians.)

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
I did see cranberries in the grocery stores this week. I am passing on cranberries this holiday as I am the only one who eats them. I'll bring them out at Christmas!

Tomorrow I will bake the pumpkin pie. Sunday morning we will attend church. When I arrive home, I will get busy in the kitchen.

Bloody Caesar's for adults
Apple Cider for kids
Turkey & dressing
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Dinner rolls
Corn
Jello
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream and extra-old cheddar

If we have any room after that, a nice cup of hot tea.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am getting hungry just reading the menus!
:friendly:

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Cooked the turkey breast today. Will carve it and re-heat it tomorrow. Also, made the stuffing: added some dried currants and chopped walnuts to it for texture and flavour. Baked the pumpkin pie. Everything is in the fridge for tomorrow. Will prepare everything else tomorrow afternoon.

Actually got in a bit of yard work as well: pulled up the annuals, trimmed back some perennials. Gorgeous day here today!

Happy Thanksgiving!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canucks! I hope you are blessed with healthy and happy family and friends. I'm thankful for the strength of family members of mine as they've dealt with recent health issues and rough times and I'm hopeful for the future. I'm thankful to be blessed with such family; my husband and two children really complete my life.

Tonight, I'm making a pumpkin-pecan cake roll to take to my ILs for supper tomorrow. :grouphug:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Whether you're celebrating today or tomorrow...or both, like so many of us: Happy Thanksgiving! :friendly:

Syanda

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

We had dinner with one side of the family yesterday, today was our "day of rest" to clean up the backyard and tomorrow we have dinner with the other side of the familyl! I kind of like this day of resting from all the food in between!!!
:turkey:

Enjoy everyone!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
:friendly: Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian Friends! :friendly:

Have a wonderful time!

:turkey:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!
:friendly:

Our trip to the turkey store today didn't happen. Right before we were going to leave I had this feeling I should call to be sure they were open. Nope, not open on Monday at all. Glad I called. We'll try to go again on Friday. So I'll be fixing Chicken for dinner instead of turkey.