Thanksgiving Menu

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm working on getting my menu and shopping lists finalized this weekend. We never seem to stray far from the traditional menus that our families have always enjoyed. It's interesting how my side of the family and DH's side of the family have almost identical menus. The first year I made the dressing, DH's cousin commented to me that my dressing tasted just like their grandmother's. It was my grandmother's recipe! Isn't that funny? We do it potluck, and everyone brings their own specialties.

I have added appetizers, just to keep the grazing to a minimum on the ham and turkey. When DH's grandfather was alive and we went to his house, we used paper plates, cups and plastic utensils. I like to use real dishes, even if they are Wal-Mart specials! My mom uses giant foam plates-just because there's about 40+ that eats up there. It's a lot of fun!

So, here's the basic menu we'll enjoy on Saturday after Thanksgiving at our house with DH's family. We'll have a similar on on Thanksgiving Day with my family!! There will be other additions from other folks, but here's the basics:

Cranberry spread with crackers and gingersnaps and/or vanilla wafers
BLT dip with potato chips and cubes of French bread
crudites with spinach ranch dip
Thanksgiving Sunrise punch

Baked turkey and cornbread dressing
Cider basted spiral sliced ham
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Green Beans southern style
Creamed corn
Relish tray with cranberry sauce (I"m going to try the one posted on OC with orange marmalade)
Hot rolls and butter

Assorted desserts, including:
Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Cake (at my side's meal)
Strawberry Cobbler (at DH's side's meal)
Hot spiced cider, tea, coffee

I can't wait. This is one of my favorite holidays-comes in right behind Christmas!!
:turkey:

I'm aliitle intrigued by the BLT dip. Can you share??? I have never heard of a BLT DIP!!!

My Family have not yet FULLY confirmed their plans BUT tonight is my cousins birthday at teh Outback Steakhouse so if they are all there then I can get an idea of what they plan on doing!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Your menu sounds yummy Cathymac - probably because it's similar to ours :haha:

I just found out last night that I will be doing both sides of the family. Mine, the Sunday before Thanksgiving since my brother is passing through Ohio that weekend (unfortunately it's just him, not the rest of his family, but I bet it's been 15 years since we had Thanksgiving with him). DH's side will be the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Too bad the dates are a week apart - I won't be able to double anything to use at the second dinner.

Our menu will be as follows:
turkey breast (no one on either side likes dark meat), DH grills it
stuffing
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoe casserole
herbed veggies
green beans (steamed for my family, green bean casserole for DH's)
cranberry sauce
rolls

I usually leave dessert and appetizers up to the SIL's. :turkey:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
BLT dip is super easy and super good! You just mix a cup of sour cream and a cup of mayo together, then add either a few bacon pieces, cooked and crumbled, or-this is what I do-a jar of bacon bits. Then add a seeded, chopped tomato and viola! BLT dip! I like it on French bread cubes or small slices-others like it on crackers. I usually serve it with both...this year I"m going to try the sourdough party bread...we haven't had that in our store very long. I think it'll be good. I believe you could even add shredded lettuce or a box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained. That would give you the "L".

I add a box of spinach to my ranch dip sometimes, along with some sliced water chestnuts for crunch. Really good with veggies.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I may change my Turducken to the crock-pot turkey with the dry French Onion soup sprinkled over it. I'm really hooked on it now. I'm adding Cranberry Pie. Made one last night and we all had some after our breakfast of cereal this morning.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Oh yes Cathymac, thanks for sharing the recipe for the BLT dip. I would make that just for myself as I love BLT's. I used to make them every morning. I just don't have the time to do that anymore.

Well my menu has been finalized:

Fruit platter
Cranberry sauce
Sauerkraut
Turkey w/gravy
Spiral ham
Macaroni & cheese
Candied yams
Crab stuffing
Collard & kale greens mixed
Rolls
Potato salad
Sweet potato pie
Banna pudding
Sugar shaped cookies
various beverages

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Your menus all sound delicious!

Here's what I've got planned for mine so far. I'm hoping there will not be any last minute changes. :turkey:

Spinach Dip with cubes of bread
Fruit Tray
Vegetable Tray
Cucumber Sandwiches

Turkey and Stuffing (inside of Turkey)
Extra dish of stuffing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Corn Casserole
Salad
Squash Casserole
Hot rolls and butter

Dessert Bar:
We will have several types of pies, cobblers, and desserts
Hot spiced cider, tea, coffee

campncook

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
south Texas
I am hoping to get some ideas from all of you...I still have NO idea what I am serving for Thanksgiving, where I will be or with whom! We might go camping or we might drive to my family home or we might just stay home and go out to eat...
I am so undecided!
:friendly:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Don't worry, campncook! I'm sure whatever you decide to do will work out fine :)

Okay, I think our menu is finalized. What's up in the air is who is making what. No one has asked what to bring yet, so I may have to be a bit rude and call to suggest some things.

Veggie tray
1 turkey and 1 turkey breast
ham
Sausage dressing
orange cranberry sauce
Cream cheese mashed potatoes
turkey gravy
sweet potato casserole
sweet corn
green beans with bacon, onions and mushrooms
6 layered green salad
Hot rolls
Cranberry fruit salad
deviled eggs
sparkling cider and pop to drink

Dessert:
pumpkin, chocolate cream, apple and berry pies
frosted sugar cookies
coffee, regular and decaf

I'd better wear the pants with the elastic waist. . . ;)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wow, everything sounds SOOOOO good! I just love Thanksgiving! I'm anxious to see family members that we only see once or twice a year...on each side! I wish we could just sit and talk for the entire weekend! I'm really looking forward to the entire Thanksgiving week.

The kids have school Monday and Tuesday next week, then they are out for the holiday. On Tuesday night, we have a Thanksgiving service at church. The best part of it is that someone else cooks it! LOL! We eat a traditional meal of turkey, dressing and fixings, then move into the sanctuary for the song service. This year my family is singing! It should be interesting...only DH and DS7 can actually carry a tune! The rest of us will be making a joyful noise!! We're singing "Standin' on the Promises of God"!!