Thanksgiving take-home favors?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'd like to find something to have at each guest's plate that they can take home at Thanksgiving. This could be something to eat or a decoration or small gift of some kind. This last year, my sister and DKs helped make really cute turkey cookies out of oreos, old fashioned cream drops, fudge stripe cookies and candy corns -- I think the idea was posted here somewhere-- and those were great for the kids' table especially. I'd like to do something different for '08.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Something that I'd thought about doing but never did is a votive cup with a clear address type label that says "---- (your name here) Family Thanksgiving 2008" or whatever else you might come up with. You can get the clear votive cups at Wal-Mart for about 50 cents each, and I"m sure any office supply type store would have the clear labels that you could print off of your computer. You just put the sticker on and then tie a little ribbon around the candle. Yankee Candle does this, and it's really cute. I think you could do it cheaper than they offer it.

This last Christmas I did something similar with my Sunday School class to give their moms. I used the candle and votive cup, cut a piece of clear (white) vellum to fit around it and used double sided tape to stick it on, then put a beaded "bracelet" around it. I just cut a piece of elastic thread and strung some beads on it and slipped it on.

Just a few little thoughts. By the way...I found votive cups at Dollar Tree that already had candles in it, they were 4 to a pack for $1!!

Here's another thought that just came to me...if you have a printer that does good pictures and a digital camera, take a group picture and print everyone out a copy to take home. You could even make a sign that says "----(your name here) Family Thanksgiving 2008. We took a picture last year, all 40 or so of us! My cousin had copies made for each family...it's quite a picture. I think I'll make a sign or banner with the name and date on it for this year, and I'm making a note in my Thanksgiving notebook to do the same thing with DH's side of the family when they come here!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've done the blessings mix for Thanksgiving and it is always well received. I've done the votives for Christmas dinners. Oriental Trading usually has votive cups that are personalized with a holiday theme sticker around the holidays.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,
A nice parting-gift is to fill a quart-sized canning jar with whole nuts and use some jute to tie a nut cracker to the lid. I like to display these on a pedestal cake stand on a table in the entryway; they add to the decore, and are handy when guests are leaving.

Gidget -

SheriLynn5

MHH Member
Jul 20, 2008
Last Thanksgiving I found some mini ceramic loaf pans at Michael's (I heard they also had them at Garden Ridge). They had several different ones with fall designs on the sides and only cost 50 cents to $1. I baked pumpkin bread in each and wrapped with a bright orange ribbon for everyone to take home.

Another time, I made a dry noodle soup mix in a jar or maybe a small bag and called it leftover turkey soup mix. I think I may have gotten this idea from the old OC boards. I no longer have the receipe, but I think you could probably find one online somewhere.

My favorite thing was when we took some fall colored cardstock and glued a piece of paper on top (I found some great lined memo pads bordered with autumn leaves last year in Michael's $1 spot). At the top of the cardstock we glued a square of coordinating cardstock which read: "Why We Are Thankful for ___________. I made one for each person attending Thanksgiving dinner and started the ball rolling by writing one thing on each person's list. As people arrived, I mentioned they were welcome to write on any or all of them if they wished. Wow! What a hit this was! The lists filled up quickly and some even needed extra paper. My niece cried when she read hers and one guest said they were keeping it on the fridge all year as a bit of encouragement when they got the blues.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Christmascreations: I have never seen anything for Thanksgiving that was so cute.....and so very easy. Thanks so much for sharing! I've printed them both and they are headed for my notebook! :pink:

Rackandrollgal said:
Christmascreations: I have never seen anything for Thanksgiving that was so cute.....and so very easy. Thanks so much for sharing! I've printed them both and they are headed for my notebook! :pink:

No Problem.....always glad to share!!!

Pumpkin’s Mom

MHH Member
Jul 25, 2008
I love doing Christmas themed gifts to kick off the season. I have done wax melts with the holder and tealights in holiday scents. This year I really want to do holiday placemats.

I have written down holiday CDs or movies. Maybe a holiday coffee mug they sell them in AC Moore for $1 each with a spoon diped and chocolate and hot chocolate mixes?