Thanksgiving, tell me more...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Here in the UK we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I'm always looking for something to celebrate and would like to take part in my own small celebration. Can you ladies out there tell me more about it, any traditions, what you eat, decorations, what day it's on etc.

My children will probably be at school so I'll adapt it to suit, but would like them to know about and appreciate traditions in other countries.

Thanks in anticipation.

:friendly:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
On the fourth Thursday of Nov in the USA (Canada has a different day, I forget when) we serve:

Basic Menu
Roast Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream

Everyone adds different dishes they serve that are family favorites. There are lots of recipes on this site and on the internet. It's just nice to have a day when all your family and friends get together to be thankful for each other. I hope you will join us in celebrating Thanksgiving.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Just a couple of things to add from the "southern" traditions......Corn Bread Dressing, Sweet Potatoes/yams, Fresh green beans, and Potato salad (wouldn't be a proper southern gathering without Potato salad). and of course lots of sweet Iced tea...

Activities include a touch football game, waiting for kick off for the guys and watching parades on TV or special shows for the girls. Basically good family together time. We do make a point at dinner to recognize what we are thankful for and remember the reason and spirit of the first Thanksgiving

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
In Canada it's at the beginning of October but it's not a big thing except we have a day off work!! And it's usually a period where the weather is great for outdoor fun.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
It's kind of a big deal here, but it always tends to sneak up on me! We have turkey-always! and it's far enough away from Christmas that we don't mind having Turkey again, then! It's more or less a giving Thanks day here. More religious in that aspect, I guess.It's a thankfulness for Harvest as well as everything else in our lives. We celebrate on the Sunday but it's nice to have Monday as a day off, anyway to sleep off all that turkey! last year we had a Thanksgiving tree and wrote something on each leaf that we were thankful for. I'm only speaking for what we do in our family, though!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Aside from eating, in our (U.S.) house, we enjoy the New York Macy's Day parade first thing in the morning (lots of floats, musical bands and other performances, and Santa arrives in a sleigh at the end). Then we hang out chatting, playing games, and nibbling on trays full of snacks (vegetables, crackers, etc) as the meal cooks.

In the afternoon, one of the main channels usually plays It's a Wonderful Life, and it's a tradition for us to watch it. The meal is usually ready soon after. Before the meal, we often will say a blessing/toast and/or state a few things for which we're grateful.

When we're done eating, we get back to the games (board games, Nintendo Wii, or whatever else we want), watch Thanksgiving movies (like Addams Family Values and Planes, Trains, & Automobiles), and chit chat.

It's all about relaxing and enjoying a nice meal with the ones you love. :pilgrim:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thanksgiving is the one day in America where virtually everyone in the country is eating the same meal. You know that there are people from SO MANY different countries here. But every one seems to want to celebrate this special day which unites us. Most restaurants which are open also offer the Thanksgiving turkey with the trimmings. It is a great thing!

Usually, people celebrate with family and/or friends. One Thanksgiving, my husband and I were far away from home. So we spent the day helping to set up and serve the traditional thanksgiving meal at a Salvation Army center.. All the servers and cooks ate with the guests. It was warm and comfortable and delicious food. And seconds and thirds for everyone! Everyone at the meal felt united in enjoying the traditional meal together and being together. It is a wonderful memory that my husband and I share.
:turkey:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Deviled Eggs are pretty much a basic also around here for Thanksgiving.
It is a day to give Thanks and there is a mass.
It is the start of the Christmas season so to say. The day after is Black Friday with specials and stores open EARLY!!!!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Here in Canada we do all of the same activities as in the US when we're kids in school: cutting out paper turkeys, writing about what we're thankful for. We don't really embrace the aspects to do with the pilgrims and natives eating together, etc. That's more American. Ours is about celebrating what we're thankful for in general.
Mostly everyone I know has a turkey at Thanksgiving, but that's about as far as it goes. More religious families will tend to make a bigger deal of it.
Actually, the last number of years I've kind of embraced the American Thanksgiving too. It seems to me like in the US Thanksgiving is the kick-off to the holiday season, whereas in Canada, our thanksgiving is early October, so it is a much bigger gap. I'll often make a roast chicken for the American Thanksgiving and can rely on Miracle on 34th Street or something being on TV since almost all of our programming in Canada is American.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Thanks for all the information ans wonderful ideas. I will definatley be planning something for my family on Thanksgiving!

:flower:

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Thanksgiving is a day set aside to give Thanks for our religious freedom, The pilgrims set out to find a land where they could worship the way they believed; out of the 500 some odd people who set out only 80 made it through the first winter here, the American Indians helped them to celebrate the first thanksgiving and taught them to survive off the land.
It's not about the food, it's giving thanks for our freedoms and prosperity.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you, DebbieGal, for adding that really important post! It pointed out to me that I get so busy looking at the trees that I forget there is a forrest there! People gave their lives for our freedoms -- I don't want to take them for granted!
:applause:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Debbie,
Thank you for your post! It's nice to be put back on the right track for this holiday! I needed this reminder big time.