The Happiness Project- An Exercise

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
All-

I got my book and have begun reading and highlighting.

Our official start date for following the book will be January, 2011!! Don't forget to put it on your Christmas wish list~ I know many have!

If inspiration strikes I will come up with exercises that center around Happiness.

Here is one such exercise:

Take time to notice when you feel happy and also unhappy.
What led to the feeling? Stop and think about what you were doing before. How are your surroundings organized?

For example: I noticed at work I have been feeling happy. I attribute this to: Getting proper sleep and taking time to organize and clean my desk so I can find stuff.

Also: I noticed at home last night I felt unhappy. I stopped and looked around and becuase I have been so busy with Relay for Life, My clothes were scattered in my room and mail and stuff had accumulated on my dining room table. This led to a feeling of being unsettled and unhappy.

Post your observations here!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
A great thread that got me thinking, Annie!

Right now I think I most unhappy at home and it's due to not being organized the way that I'd like and missing a lot of my stuff that went into storage. I have claimed a work station in the kitchen that is mine and no one else is allowed to pile anything on it. So far it's worked. It's a place I can go to sort mail and work on the computer. I also called the hall table off limits for "stuff". If it goes on the table it goes into the trash...okay...on top of the trash - it's always rescued by the offender before the trash goes to the can. So far that is working, too. My happiness is directly impacted by how organized I am...or am not.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Me too! I am not happy when there is clutter everywhere. It makes my head hurt and then I get cranky...NO ONE wants that! LOL! I am sitting at my desk at work right now trying to catch up on some filing...I've finished about 1/2 and already I feel better! Time to get back to work!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Kim and Colleen~
I couldn't agree more!

When my house is clean and organized I feel HAPPY!

I'm unhappy right now with the way I've been eating- on the run, eating bad, not cooking.
I feel yucky!
And, what did I do today? Left my lunch sitting on the counter. So, I went to the Shoppette and bought a Healthy Choice frozen dinner. I guess that makes me happy that I didn't go get fast food.
Need to menu plan and shop!

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I find that lately, i'm most unhappy at mealtimes. Nothing ever sounds good (lunch is the worst) so I put off eating and then I end up eating badly. I'm most happy when I have something to look forward to I guess or when i'm reading a great book. I love to read and it makes me very happy.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am unhappy at the moment because I have too much in my plate. My boss has gone out of the country and has left me in charge. I have to work more and my house is suffering. I also have to keep on top of plans for my own holiday in September. To change this I am going to have to look at work as an opportunity and get my staff to help a bit more, and ask my dear family to help me out a bit more at home. The plans for the holiday will wait until things return to normal.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm unhappy when I think about my health problems - ups & downs. Also unhappy with my meal non-planning approach these days.

I'm happy when I'm reading & crafting & on MHH

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I thought of an Add on to this exercise:

Carry around a small notebook and if there are instances that you catch where you feel particularly happy and unhappy, jot them down.
Try to observe what you feel brings you those feelings.

Our days are so busy and filled to the max, it's way too common to miss those moments that bring us happiness or unhappiness.

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Yesterday I really tried to notice when I had moments of happiness:

* When I was getting ready for work and I knew what black blouse I wanted to wear, I went right to the drawer where it's supposed to be and there it was, folded neat and pretty waiting for me.

* Cooking. Putting together a healthy, nutricious meal and taking the time to do it- chop the vegetables for the salad, put together a nice side dish, season the salmon.

* Reading. Sitting and feeding my mind.

* Finishing up cleaning my bathroom- 1. Beacause it's clean and sparkly. 2. Because I did what I said I would do.

From the posts on this thread its evident that organization and cleanliness play a big part in our happiness.

Anyone else have any observations?

Annie

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
I am still trying to find happiness in my life. I sometimes fear that it will be gone forever. I do know that my little dog, Beau, brings me happiness everytime I walk thru the door. He loves me no matter what I do or how I act.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Santa Elf-
I do believe happiness is out there. You are doing such a great job with your new, unexpected life. I know it has been hard for you.

Keep your chin up and your heart open.

Happiness is out there waiting for all of us!!!

We're going to figure out together how to claim it!

Annie

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Santa Elf, I'm sorry that finding happiness is difficult for you right now. Things will turn around, I'm sure.
When I was going through some particularly rough times, someone gave me a "Joy Journal" and the instructions were to write down one thing at the end of each day that gave me joy. Some days, it wasn't easy to find something. Another idea would be a "Gratitude Journal" where the end of each day you write down one thing you are grateful for.
{{{{{hugs}}}}} I don't know what you're going through, but I hope things get better.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I find that my happiness is directly related to how cluttered my surroundings are... or whether the dishes are piling up!!

I think it's because I feel stressed and overwhelmed when there is so much to be done... like I've lost control of my situation or something. The ironic thing is that I'm not naturally a neat person. I have to have routines and a plan for housework, otherwise nothing gets done.

What is this book? Is it a self help type book?? Sounds interesting...

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh, just saw the other thread... all caught up now :)

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Lolwlias - A joy journal sounds like what I need. Lets see if I can put something in it today