Those who use Libby's pumpkin pie mix...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I read elsewhere but have not yet confirmed that Libby's had a bad year for pumpkins and will not be producing as many cans as normal. Those who use it for pies may want to stock up before it becomes unavailable.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Darn and I was just at the store today. I'll have to grab some tomorrow when I go to Walmart.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All I know is that I wanted to buy a can of pumpkins the other day and it was $4.79!!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
That makes sense. I heard that the northeast had a very bad year for pumpkins because of the rain.

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Thank you for that info. I had noticed the high price per can as well :(.

What does everyone make with the pumpkin pie mix? I usually use the regular pumpkin mix...does anyone know what the difference is? Is it just the added spicies to the pumpkin mix?

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
I also use only the canned pumpkin, but I don't add the spices. I am not a fan of the mingled flavors. I use only Libby's Pumpkin and follow the recipe on the can for the pies, but use only sugar, cinnamon, eggs, evaporated milk and the pumpkin. This was the way my mother always made them and everyone loves them and asks for the recipe.

I can't believe that pumpkin is that expensive!!!! I used up a lot of stash during Christmas in July and didn't restock. Grrrr.....

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Thank you for that info. I had noticed the high price per can as well :(.

What does everyone make with the pumpkin pie mix? I usually use the regular pumpkin mix...does anyone know what the difference is? Is it just the added spicies to the pumpkin mix?

Yes, if I remember correctly, there is canned pumpkin and canned prespiced pumpkin. I use the regular one and add McCormick pumpkin spices per McCormick's recipe.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Thanks for this information!
Unfortunately we have only one store here in Vienna selling canned Libby's Pumpkin - also for a relatively high price (in my opinion) :-(
But nevertheless I will go and buy 2 canns just to be prepared... (and add the evaporated milk into my basket...)

My To Do for this afternoon after work...

Chilli

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
I had checked our stores yesterday for the regular canned pumpkin, and they only had the spiced one. I was hoping to stock up on certain items for Thanksgiving.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Couple of weeks ago, I got mom's gro @ WM & the Libby's was the only brand they had....they seem to be cutting out their store brand on a quite a few things. It was HIGH & I didn't get it, per her instructions. Then Aldi's told me Wed 'we don't have any yet'; went to Marvin's (may be locale thing) Thur & an employee told me there was a shortage this year. Rats! Mom uses quite a bit of pumpkin (try making pies for 40 at T'giving!) Anyway! I got her 4 cans of Best Choice for 1.89 I think (less than $2 anyway). I can't tell the difference in store brands & Libby's except the price, and I use Libby's recipe. Rarely make it, but it's disheartening to know the farmers didn't have a crop, & pumpkin lovers will have to cut back! Next year we'll all know to buy a few extra, huh?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I saw on the news just yesterday that this is happening all over the place! The pumpkin crop this year just wasn't as good due to the weather. There were farmers with green pumpkins still on the vines, etc. I went to Walmart yesterday and picked up 4 cans while there just in case. It was a bit over $1 a can. I can't remember how much it usually is but it wasn't too bad really.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I live in the northeast so i can say all the rain we had ruined alot of things even peoples gardens and i have already been stocking up on the pumpkin i've got afew cans now the big cans and a couple of the 15oz ones as well.:stocking: