Three jobs for October--vacuum cleaner cleaning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
These are things you could do if you haven't done them lately (or at all).

We use our vacuum cleaners to clean but have you ever cleaned your vacuum cleaner?

1. Now's the time to buy some extra vacuum cleaner bags if you use them. I change mine monthly so I buy 12 bags to last a year. Take a cleaning brush and run it down the metal extensions and in the hose. Be careful with the hose to not poke a hole in it. You will be surprised at the amount of dirt inside these things.

2. Wash out or shake out any filters your vacuum cleaner uses. Mine has two. I wash mine after I vacuum so the filters have time to dry before it's needed again. Tape a note to the vacuum cleaner so no one uses it. If the filters are out this is the time that someone who has never vacuumed in their entire life will decide to help you out by vacuuming.

3. Carefully wash the attachments. I wash them in soapy water, use a comb on any of the brushes and also run a toothbrush over the inside. I'm not saying wash anything that has electrical connections that the standard attachments.

After everything is dry (I wait two days), put in a new filter bag that has a cotton ball with a few drops of your favorite perfume.

I also suggest you have a vacuum on each level of your house if you have stairs. There is always someone giving away a good vacuum that you could use on one level or in the basement.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We have a central vaccum cleaner - dh takes care of this - cleans everything once a year

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Wow Lucie. I can't even imagine a guy cleaning the hoses and attachments. You are so lucky.

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
My dh got me a dyson about 6 months ago I keep tellin myself to clean the filter but I keep forgetting thank you for the reminder!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Ahorsesoul - I love these types of tips! Thank you.