Tip Top Tip for Today, Tuesday, July 27

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Some of the charter schools in my area give supply lists to the parents before the previous school year has ended. Their rationale? That the supplies are costly and it's easier and can be less expensive than buying them all at once. The tip below follows this theory and makes a lot of sense!

***********************************************************************************************
July 27, 2010

Today's tip comes from Charscorner

Charlotte writes:

To keep the cost of Christmas foods down a bit, I watch in the months ahead for items to be on sale. Like right now I am able to purchase canned cherry pie filling at the holiday price. My guys like cherry pie for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. By buying that now on sale my holiday food budget is spread somewhat over the year instead of crunched at holiday time plus it goes farther.

************************************************************************************************

Thanks, Charlotte! Your naame has been added to my magic hat for the drawing at the end of the month! Good luck!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I agree... when non-perishables we need for christmas are on sale it's time to buy them! That's why our menu planning in advance is so useful!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great idea! I don't think about that and you could do that for some baking items that are on sale also.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
This is such a great tip. With a little planning you can save so much money.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
That is a great idea. I bought several cans of the apple pie filling when I found them at the dollar store last month. I have enough for the pies for Thanksgiving & Christmas plus I have extra cans to use as topping for french toast or french toast casserole. Just heat and add cinnamon.

I need to make a note to my self that this holiday season I need to stock up on canned pumpkin pie. My daughter wanted a pumpkin pie this month and I could not find any canned pumpkin anywhere. I was told by a couple different stores that they will have some in around Sept/Oct.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Gret tip! It's so easy to wreck your budget when you have to buy so many specialty items around the holidays. I like to pick up flour/sugar, etc. in September even though I never start baking that early. I take it home and put it in tupperware containers and cross a few things off my list!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Always good to plan ahead! This reminds me I need to get to work on my menus and master grocery list! :)

One thing I have noticed is that stores like Wal-mart and Meijer will have good sales on baking supplies in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving...which is nice to take advantage of if I either haven't stocked up on anything yet or if I just need to fill in some "holes" on my master grocery list of non-perishables! :)

CEO has an article somewhere too about the day after Thanksgiving being a good day for deals on groceries. I have never checked to see if that was true in our area - I've always been shopping the Black Friday deals! LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When buying canned goods ahead of time remember to check the expiration dates on the cans.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been stockpiling my baking goods for a couple of months now. Items such a sugar, flour, have a long use by date and if stored properly will last for a good while. I have been buying tinned goods as I see them on special and now have quite a range of goods in the outside pantry. Non perishables such as napkins, paper towels and the like are great to stock up on if you see them on clearance after summer. I still will have to shop for items a bit closer to Christmas, but have got a good jump on things.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
That is a great idea. I bought several cans of the apple pie filling when I found them at the dollar store last month. I have enough for the pies for Thanksgiving & Christmas plus I have extra cans to use as topping for french toast or french toast casserole. Just heat and add cinnamon.

I need to make a note to my self that this holiday season I need to stock up on canned pumpkin pie. My daughter wanted a pumpkin pie this month and I could not find any canned pumpkin anywhere. I was told by a couple different stores that they will have some in around Sept/Oct.

I was at the grocery store today and saw a sign that said they may experience a shortage of canned pumpkin b/c od pumpkin shortages.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I hear about the pumpkin shortage last fall so I picked up eight cans. Friends know I have pumpkin so they keep asking me for cans. lol Here's hoping it's a good year for pumpkins.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
Piratemamaof3boys - It's funny that you should mention the pumpkins because when I started reading the posts on here I was thinking about them. this past Thanksgiving and Christmas, we had a hard time trying to get the canned pumpkins. I couldn't figure it out. So because you reminded me, I'll be picking up a few cans this week. Thank you for mentioning it.

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
That happened last year. The stores were out of Pumpkin by the time Thanksgiving rolled around. I'm buying mine as soon as I see it. Actually, I do have a couple cans left from last year. :)