Tip Top Tip for Today, Wednesday, July 14

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Are you all about advanced prep? If so, look at the link below for a great tip!

*********************************************************************************************************
July 14, 2010

Today's tip comes from Luludou

Lucie writes:

Easy and practical tip I found. I know it's kind of obvious but it can be easily overlooked.

http://frommytinykitchen.blogspot.co...n-freezer.html

*********************************************************************************************************

Thanks, Lucie! This is a great tip. I wonder what else can be done like this? It would make last minute prep so easy and there would be one less pan to clean during the busy season. Your name has been thrown into my magic hat for a drawing at the end of the month. Good luck!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Link won't work for me either.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
yes, it was the bacon tip.

http://frommytinykitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Freezer Cooking

Here's what it says (without pics).

Freezer Bacon
Bacon just doesn't come in small packages. Not the right size for two people anyway! And we love bacon, which can make prep difficult - I either cook the whole package and we eat way too many slices, or I stick the remaining bacon in the fridge and occasionally it is sadly forgotten.

So I take our remaining slices...

...pre-cut...

...fry in the skillet until crisp...

then place on a paper towel to collect excess grease and cool. Finally, simply label a resealable, freezer bag with contents and date - fill with your bacon - and place in freezer!

Having this bag of deliciousness is very handy - grab a few pinches to top a salad or baked potato. Quickly reheat in a skillet to toss in pasta or potato salad. Another idea - top a cooked chicken breast with bacon and shredded cheddar cheese and bake until melted! It is a quick, easy way to add depth of flavor and a tasty garnish.

Baking bacon in the oven this is something I'll try!)

Simply line a baking pan with foil and lay your bacon strips on it. (or lay them on a rack, so they won’t be in the grease)

Put it into a cold oven and set the oven on 400 degrees F. Use a full size oven only… DO NOT USE A TOASTER OVEN.

Check it after 15 minutes…. if you like your bacon crispier, then you will likely need to bake them for another 5 minutes, but keep a close eye on it, they can burn easily.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately remove the bacon, drain on paper towels.

Let the pan cool, when cool, the bacon grease will gel and clean-up will be a snap… just throw away the foil.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks lucie!!!!

This would definetly work for me!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for fixing the link, Lucie. It worked for me when I opened it this morning but must have lost it somewhere in the transition.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is so simple, it is genius!!!

I have been big on freezing for a while now - but somehow this aspect of what I could do never occurred to me!

Thank you so much - love the oven baking method too! :)

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I love this tip. I have never thought of doing this before but having a bag of cooked bacon bits in the freezer sounds really good!

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
I wonder if this would work with other meats? I don't see why not. I wish I had frozen half the pre-cooked brisket I bought a couple weeks ago. We got burnt out on it and my cats have enjoyed a nice lunch today!