Topic of the Week: Kitchen Money Savers

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I thought we got so many great ideas in the Simplify the Kitchen thread and the Menu thread creativemom started that maybe we should try having a different topic each week related to the kitchen in some manner With the economy in a downward spiral I thought maybe tips for saving money in the kitchen might be timely. So let's us this thread for little tips about ways to save money.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
When I was growing up, my Mother always had what we referred to as "THE SOUP KETTLE", in the freezer. It was a large square plastic container, and after supper when there'd be 1/4 cup of veggies left from supper or 2 tomato slices left after lunch, we'd put them into this container. After the container was filled with veggies, Mom would make a hearty soup. With the different veggies collected it was never a boring soup as it had lots of color. Sometimes she'd make it with hamburger and sometimes with chicken.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Today when we treat ourselves to a rotisserie chicken I hate to waste anything so I pop the remainder of the carcass into the crock pot overnight for a full flavored broth and pick any remaining meat off too. If it's summer, I freeze the broth for later in the season or for rainy evenings. I use large mayo containers I acquired from the local senior citizen home or the elementary school. They have screw tops and easily hold one crock pot full of broth.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I serve one 'meatless' meal a week. It could be pancakes, salad or spaghetti but always meatless just to save money.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I buy store brands of almost everything, from milk to pain relievers. I buy a few name brand things, just because I think the taste is worth the extra money-for instance, Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing, Hunt's ketchup, Folger's coffee and real Pop Tarts. Almost everything else is store brand. I use store brand paper towels, napkins and zipping bags, along with a host of other things. We rarely can tell the difference!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Stocking up has helped cut costs. I kept a pseudo-price book for a while to keep track of good sale prices of items I buy regularly. Now I know how much I'm willing to spend on most items and when I see it at that sale price, I stock up. I will easily buy a dozen bottles of ketchup or 2 dozen cans of beans at the right price because I know we will use it. Fortunately I have the storage space for it in the basement.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Our son eats a packed lunch for school everyday. To save money I buy a large bag of chips and split it into baggies instead of single size packs. I try to bake my own "dessert" for him to pack too. Our splurge is small containers of fruit for him, but I buy those on sale, at Sam's club or with a coupon.

Lisa

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I pack my son a brown bag lunch every school day and he takes leftovers or special things I make, and he is the envy of his classmates. He takes hamburgers that I pre-grill and after he microwaves the burger, he adds the tomato slice and lettuce I pack. The school provides the ketchup and mustard.
I make him wraps using grilled chicken tenders, or my own cheese filled pizza "rolls". I use frozen bread dough, thawed and rolled out to a small rectangle, pizza sauce spooned on, and the dough is wrapped around a piece of string cheese. I brush egg wash on the outside and prebake. At school, DS just pops it into microwave to heat it up and I include a small cup of pizza sauce for dipping. I can make about a dozen in one session and I freeze them on occasion.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
When I have leftover coffee in the pot, I pour it in ice cube trays and freeze, then transfer to a plastic bag. I throw one or two in a vanilla milkshake, a cup of hot cocoa, or blend with a little kaluha and cream - yummy!

I do the same with a little bit of wine that might be left in the bottle (doesn't happen very often :haha: ). I then use these cubes in sauces.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I seperate all of our largr bag or box items into snack size bags. We dont buy any of those 100 calorie packs or snack packs for lunches. I just take the time to put them in snack size ziplocks myself. Helps not only with money, but portion control a well.

Also buying spices for a $1.00 can help a done when the kind you need are available at wal-mart or the dollar store.

Unless your a collector of books themselves, buying recipe books for variety just isn't needed any more either with the internet. Women would spend a ton of money on cook books and now you can find anything at your fingertips. HOWEVER, there's nothing wrong with a few of the classics, we just don't need bookshelves of them any longer.

I love the wine and coffee in ice cube trays. I do it for juice already to use in recipe, why not those..hmmm???

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
The most wonderful money-saver for me is I pack a bento lunch every day. It's a perfect way for me to use up leftovers, even when there is only a tiny bit of food left. When done in health consciousness, it's a great way to control portion size (not wasting food) and eat tons of fresh produce every day (fruits/veggies never go bad now), too. I have reusable mini chopsticks (got from a local asian market for pennies; you can use regular utensils or buy mini flat ones, too), sauce/dressing containers, and food skewers to use with my bento, so it saves on sandwich baggies and the like (not to mention that the bento itself is reusable).

I consider monetary, health, and environmental impacts in my "costs" but here are some other savings-doublers:
  • Eat few to no animal products (get nutrition sources that cost less, & soy and rice milk, etc last far longer)[/*:m:952a6]
  • Buy certain things like grains in bulk when the unit price is on sale and better than the individual components[/*:m:952a6]
  • Use store brand or on-sale items (whichever is less expensive and still healthy/enviro-friendly)[/*:m:952a6]
  • Farmers market (great way to save despite gas prices; and saves on health/enviro costs, of course)[/*:m:952a6]
  • Keep water filter/pitcher & reusable bottles for on-the-go[/*:m:952a6]
  • Food is, above all, for your body's fuel... You only get one body. All things in moderation. Eat to live, don't live to eat.[/*:m:952a6]
  • Avoid junk food, soda, etc. (total impact = not worth your time. see above. yadda yadda)[/*:m:952a6]
  • Treats saved for special occasions (pumpkin pie, cupcakes, pricey casseroles, etc. The wait makes them extra special, too).[/*:m:952a6]
  • Split cooking/baking supplies into several batches (in freezer, pantry, etc) so there's extra for another time or two.[/*:m:952a6]
  • Add fruits/veggies entrée so can cut down on bulky main course or save leftovers.[/*:m:952a6]
  • Menu plan so leftovers can fit in with a meal later in the week (like my bento).[/*:m:952a6]
  • When eating out or on holidays, again, don't forget moderation. Eat wisely and remember leftovers.[/*:m:952a6]

angiejo

Retire Member
May 3, 2008
central Louisiana
You all have had some great ideas! There are several I will use. I feel bad and wasteful since I really don't have anything to add. I don't cook often, but need to and need to save money. thanks!!!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
We use a lot of the ideas already listed.

We do not eat out very often. We know many families that eat out several times a week at sit down restaurants. We go to a restaurant for special occassions and maybe two or three times a month....tops. Usually that is just DS4 and myself because we are out shopping & it's time for lunch (and we just grab something cheap!). My DS LOVES to eat a picnic in our van. I will brown bag lunch & we will eat in whatever parking lot when we get hungry. I have a van that lets you fold down the third row seat. We lay down an old quilt & have lots of room. Honestly, he loves having a "van picnic" more than going to McD's. Naturally we are limited if it is very cold or hot. Most people I know do not add in dining out into their kitchen costs, but if it is food you are buying to consume for the week, maybe it should be added :flower: .

Bren :-D