Tree Question...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
This might sound like an odd question but Im going to ask anyway...

I know that theres a rule of thumb on Lights to Tree size but is there a rule like that for ornaments???

I just bought a new tree (becuase we just bought a house with tall ceilings which made me really want a tall tree so I went and bought a 9 foot prelit tree....

Im buying all new ornaments for my tree becuase of changing the theme, so I want to make sure as Im buying new ornaments that I have enough...

Thanks in advance...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I can't believe there would be a limit to how many ornaments unless weight was a factor.

I'd think every person probably would say something different. It's really up to what you and your family think looks the best.

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks Ahorsesoul I dont think there would be a limit either Im just afraid that Christmas will come around and I wont have enough, but then I dont want to buy too many either...LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Use what you have for this year. During the season, make a list of what decorations you would like to add or change. As prices go down, you can shop for what you need at those great sale prices. That way you won't have too much and you'll get what you really want, not something you'll "make-do" with that you really don't like.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Use what you have for this year. During the season, make a list of what decorations you would like to add or change. As prices go down, you can shop for what you need at those great sale prices. That way you won't have too much and you'll get what you really want, not something you'll "make-do" with that you really don't like.

I totally agree. If you feel that you don't have enough when you have assembled the tree you could get some lengths of ribbon to match your colour scheme and make some bows to fill it out a little, and then buy some more during the sale.

:frosty:

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
I agree with Snowbelles idea of ribbons. When we went from a small rental house to our first home we also got a much bigger tree. I spread my ornaments out evenly and then filled in with bows and ornaments we made by spraying pineones gold and topping with a little Christmassy ribbon. As the years have gone by, I've added more ornaments and now only use the pinecones to remind me of our first Christmas in our home.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I really don't think there are any rules of thumb here. Some people like their trees covered and others prefer a sparser look. On year my mother told me not to clutter the tree and only put on some of the fancier ornaments so it would be all color-coordinated. When I woke up in the morning I saw that my dad had put every last ornament we owned on the tree thinking I'd missed "A whole bunch of boxes!" LOL, it just wouldn't be Christmas if you could see any of the actual tree on my parent's Christmas tree.

Don't forget if you do end up with extra ornaments you can always add them to greenery and wreaths. Several ornaments look nice in a clear glass container surrounded by greenery as a centerpiece. This is also a good thing to do if you have small kids or animals and don't want some of your heirloom ornaments in a vulnerable spot on the tree.

:bigsnow:

welshbabe

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
We're the same - seems criminal to leave any decorations in the box!!!
Then by the time we've wound all the tinsel round you can hardly see them anyway!!
I think Christmas is more gaudy and excess anyway rather than minimal and designer.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
This site: http://www.displayit-info.com/christmas ... .html#tree (I can't get the short links to work for some reason) says the rule of thumb is 10 ornaments per foot of tree. Personally, I think it's whatever you like!!!

Since you are changing your theme and want to buy new ornaments...to cut down on costs until you know exactly what you want, can you incorporate your ornaments from last year in your theme somehow? Then you could buy several ornaments that will define the theme...does that make sense?

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Wow....I wanna know where you bought one now--I mean now as in this time of year. We're planning on getting a new one this year & I wanna get one early!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
we have an online classified here called craigslist. I think they have one in every state but not totally sure on that....

On there you can find new and used items of all sorts.

I got my tree from there it looks brand new, its beautiful.... Get this 20 bucks... I couldnt beleive it...

to look for a craigslist in your area use this link

Craigslist

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Mamacat they have quiet a few cities in Texas with Craigslist I would look into it if I was you never know what you might find... :haha:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was reading '365 Ways to Prepare for Christmas' when I ran across this "rule of thumb" for garland and ornaments.
2 foot tree== 10 feet of garland; 25 to 35 ornaments
4 foot tree==40 feet of garland; 50 to 75 ornaments
6 foot tree--75 feet garland; 100 to 150 ornaments
71/2 foot tree==100 feet of garland; 175 to 275 ornaments

Light go on first, garlands next, then the ornaments.

Lights: Tiny lights==multiply the width of the tree in feet by 8 times its height.
Larger lights==multiply the width in feet by 3 times its height.