Twelve Days of Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I know that the Twelve Days of Christmas are actually the twelve days after the holiday, but several years ago I did a 12 days basket for our friends to enjoy in the days leading up to Christmas. I used the themes from the song..first day was a loaf of pear bread; day 2 was turtles and dove candy; day 3 was chicken noodle soup (French hens); etc. They live about 20 minutes away from us, so I just packaged everything in brown paper bags, put a note on each one with a little poem and put it all in a huge basket and left it on their front porch.

The ideas actually came from OC. Everyone it seems was doing it that year! I think I may do it again. I'll have to rewrite the poem. I wrote one to use the next year and then my computer crashed and I don't have it anymore. I may give it a whirl. It was a lot of fun, and I've never confessed to doing it. Every time she mentioned it, I just said " I don't know what you are talking about". Great fun!!
:sleigh:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I should have added that I"ll be posting the poem after I get it written, along with a list of what I plan to give. I have the list in my Christmas notebook. :grin:

I spoiled a boyfriend one year but I didn't apply the song just the idea. He lived in a basement apartment that was a true bachelor pad..lol It took alot of creativity and alot of shopping but I pulled it off and made his place more like home!!! He REALLY was shocked as I unloaded the gifts out of my car.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am doing this for my MIL this year!! My kids are so excited about helping. We just moved away this summer and won't be going back for Christmas, so I thought that she could open the gifts during the twelve days before Christmas. I am hoping it will make her feel like we are still with her in some small way during the month of December. This will be the first time in 13 years that we haven't been together for Christmas. At least we get to deliver it in person as we are going back to visit near the end of November.

:snowman: melanie

NoTime

Retire Member
Oct 28, 2007
One of the things I used to do when my son was younger was I wrapped Christmas story books (wrapped 24 to try and do 1 a night -- but could not do it every night) so I did 12 books. He loved to pick out the "wrapped present" to unwrap and it was a surpise to both of us as to which book it was. I also put a stickers in a couple of the books and if the one we opened had a sticker in it he would a small special treat...like a kinder surprise, candy-cane etc while I read the book. It was lots of fun and great memories :package:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We do a "12 days of Christmas Crafts" during the holiday season with my boys. I have making them this year (in progress) for my nieces and nephews too. My boys love them!

ripleysmine

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2007
I am gonna do 12 days of Christmas for my oldest dd this year, I am gonna send her stuff in the mail!!

koalagirl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
What a great idea! I think I am going to do this for a neighbor or two this year....Cathy, I would love to copy your poem! I'm not too creative when it comes to stuff like that!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Agggg....the poem must have been on my old computer, which died a tragic death and is no longer with us. I thought I had a copy in my notebook, but it's not there. I'm sorry! I'll try to find a little time to compose another one..I think I remember most of it.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
OOOHHHHH!! I found it! It was hidden away in Christmas recipe notebook-go figure!!

I guess this is the poem for the second time we did it...feel free to tweak and change as it fits your needs!

We really can't believe it,
It's Christmas time again!
Time to deck the halls
and treat our favorite friends

We know that you think
that you know who we are...
we think you'd be surprised to learn
How these gifts came from afar

Of course you remember how
this little scheme works
open one goodie each day
and don't look to see if an elf lurks!

Your Holly Jolly Elf Family
won't be around to be seen
Because we know where youare
when we leave this-we work as a team!!

On day one, as you well know
True love leaves a partridge
in a pear tree when
his fair face he decides to show.

We don't have a pear tree,
just a scrawny maple
So we brought you something else
to place upon your table.

We hope you like this bread
we hope it makes you happy
It's made from flour, sugar and pears
oh, my...this is getting sappy!

Here we are, Day Two begins!
Hope you liked Day One
Momma Elf had lots of fun
making it with the Elf sons!

Day Two is when True Love
brings in turtledoves
I'm not sure about this bird thing
You'd need to wear thick gloves!

Since we're all about eating,
drinking and being merry,
We decided to skip the birds
And give you a chocolate cherry!

Day Three already,
My, how times flies
When we're trying to keep
this thing a surprise!

Today is French Hen Day
What's with all these birds?
True Love must have a thing
for white gloopy turds!

Sorry, that was in poor taste
Hope you will forgive us
Here's some French style pastry
Those French hens would outlive us!

Oh, Dear, Day Four
and already the rhymes are really bad
Will they get better or worse?
Will you be happy or sad?

Happy is our goal when treating
Our friends for twelve days
So let's lighten things up
In eight more ways!

Day Four is for calling birds
Last time we gave you candy
This year we're giving you...well, candy again
Hope you think that's dandy!!

Golden rings for Day Five
Is what tradition calls for
We hope you like substitutes
Because we're really poor!

Golden rings would be such a thrill
We'd love to give them to you
But we've come up with another ring
that we want you to love, too.

They are big and colorful,
sticky and sweet-but if
you don't eat them, please
don't wear them on your feet!

Day Six looms brightly on the horizon
It's almost Christmas Day!
As we celebrate our Saviour's birth,
Please remember to always pray!

Geese-a-laying, that's what they say
What a hoot and a holler!
We don't have any laying geese,
They cost many a dollar!

So here's some tidbits that Rudolph left
At our house last Christmas Eve...
We saved them all year just for you
Wonder this year what he'll leave?

Day Seven, Day Seven
Oh, what will it bring?
Christmas Day is coming
We'd love to hear you sing!

Tradition holds that seven days
Brings the swans a swimming...
Swimming in December?
The thought is very dimming!

So here's some flour made from geese
Or at least the down they give
Use it to make a yummy cake
Or just stick it in the cabinet where you live!

The maids True Love gave on Day Eight
Were milking, yes it's true
But if we gave you maids
We'd ask them to work for you!

But if they work for you,
Would they work for us?
We need them worse than you do
Cause cleaning here is a bust!

Along the theme of milk
Here's the gift we make-
Take it over to Sonic
And get yourself a shake!!

Day Nine is already here
Is all your shopping done?
Better get on it if it's not
Because it's Christmas, hon!

Nine ladies dancing would be
a really royal treat
But since we can't all be dancers
We hope you think this is neat.

Here's a little music
Which we're sending your way...
Use it for your dancing
Try it Christmas Day!

Now that's Day Ten
I wonder what to do
Ten lords aleaping
Could spell trouble for you.

Have you ever seen ten lords
Leaping in the air?
Well, neither have I, but
I don't even want to be there!

So instead of leaping lords
Whatever they may be
Here's some dandy Christmas socks
For all the world to see!

Day Eleven is already upon us...
Oh, my the fat man is coming...
By now the pace is picking up
At our house, things are humming!

Day Eleven seems so loud
With all those pipers piping.
We have enough noise in our lives
Without the horn's hyping!

So the eleventh treat is something
we hope you really like
Serve these drinks piping hot
And forget that noisy hype!

So, here we are, at the end
Of our holiday game
We've really had so much fun,
And, after all, what's in a name?

So enjoy Day Twelve,
Although no drummers will attend
We hope despite this terrible poem
You'll always be our friends!

Day Twelve brings you
a really yummy treat
We couldn't bring you a real drum
That would be a major feat!

Instead we got you these cookies
And called this tin a drum
Put them out for Santa Claus
Or just leave him the crumbs!

Oh, what joy!
Oh, what fun!
We really had a good time
And even called you "hon"!

Please accept our treats
As blessings from above
We got really silly
But they were truly given with love!

So, once again we sign off
Without revealing our name
We hope you get a kick
Out of our Jolly Elf Family game!

Enjoy your holidays!
We'll see you next year
And again we'll secretly
Bring you Christmas cheer!

Your Holly, Jolly Elf Family
(hee, hee!!)

List of goodies:
Day 1-pear bread (make like any other quick bread, but add chopped (canned is fine) pears
Day 2-chocolate covered cherries
Day 3-Chocolate crescent rolls or creme horns
Day 4-candy
Day 5-Ring pops
Day 6-Malted milk balls, bagged and labeled "Reindeer Poop" (Milk Duds would work, also)
Day 7-Swan's Down brand flour
Day 8-Sonic gift card
Day 9-Christmas cd
Day 10-Christmas socks
Day 11-individual packets of hot chocolate mix, chocolate spoons and a Christmas mug
Day 12-Cookies in a tin

Hope this helps!! It's so much fun!!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
This is what I just did for a single Mom friend of mine going through a tough time. I needed fairly inexpensive items that would last for days at room temp. and would be fun for kids, too. I secretly left these all on the first night in numbered bags in a laundry basket with a note explaining to open one per day. I bought these items all throughout the year, especially looking for the 'easter' items.
The ideas are not necessarily my own, so I can't take any credit. Most of them were gleaned from various places, and I tweaked them a little.

These are the notes that I put inside each gift sack:
(I'm typing it from memory, so if I have messed up on the days, forgive me. It was right when I gave it to her, because I had a copy of the song in front of me!)

Day 1 On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a partridge in a pear tree!
Did you ever try to sneak up on a partridge? Those birds fly fast! But not until he ate all the pears off the tree. So there we were, without a partridge or a pear as our gift to you. So please accept this can of pears and this deck of 'Go Fish' playing cards so you can make your own 'pairs'.
gift: canned pears, Go Fish card game

Day 2: On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me two turtle doves!
Now what on earth is a turtle dove? Have you ever seen one? Is it more like a turtle with white feathers, or a bird with a shell? We couldn't figure it out either, so please enjoy this box of Turtles and these Dove chocolates instead.
gift: Russell Stover pecan and caramel 'Turtle' candies, a bag of Dove chocolates

Day 3: On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, three French hens!
They LOOK French, don't they? And they speak French, too. While you're waiting for these chicks to grow up into hens, you can buy yourself some French Fries with the gift card! Bon jour!

Gift: I found a little box of 4 fuzzy Easter chicks at Big Lots last Easter. I cut out some little French flags and taped little paper berets to their heads. I also used a French language translator to tape speech bubbles to the box that said things like "Yes, we are french hens!' 'Merry Christmas!' 'Wait, aren't there four of us?' etc. Then I taped a McDonald's gift card to the box.

Day 4: On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, 4 calling birds!
They're calling, alright. Place them in your hands and see! But why are they calling? They're calling for pizza delivery, of course! Look, they brought you a coupon so you can call, too!
gift: I found four little fuzzy peeping chicks, the kind you hold in your hand and they peep, again at BigLots last Easter for $1 each. I put these in a bag with a Pizza Hut gift card.

Day 5: Five golden Rings
So, did you expect to find REAL GOLD? Have you priced gold lately? Call us cheap, but these golden pineapple rings are a much better deal ounce per ounce. Enjoy!
Gift: Can of pineapple rings

Day 6: Geese a'laying
Do you know where the term 'goosing' someone came from? Geese like to bite your rear if you try to sneak up on them! Don't ask us how we know. But before they flew away (and after the 'goosing'), they left these eggs, so we're giving them to you. Look, they're hatching!
Gift: Large sized plastic eggs (again from BigLots at Easter) filled with foil covered chocolate eggs (yes, saved from Easter. They last that long easily).

Day 7: Swans a'swimming
Where were they swimming? In our bath tub, of all places! They flew out the window just as we came in the door to catch them for you. Boy, do they leave a bathtub ring! But we did manage to grab a bottle of what they were swimming in, as well as one that was still in it's ugly duckling stage and couldn't fly away!
Gift: A bottle of bubble bath and a rubber ducky.

Day 8: Maids a'milking:
Now, if we did give you 8 milking maids, just where would they sleep? What would you feed them? They'd be more bother than they're worth, wouldn't they? You don't even have 8 cows to milk! So we settled for some of the gloves that keep their hands warm and their cows happy.
Gift: a warm pair of gloves for each member of the family (bought last year on clearance)

Day 9: Ladies Dancing.
If you don't have enough room for 8 maids, where would you put 9 more guests? We couldn't figure that out either, so we brought you something much more useful: tasty Pirouette Cookies, which just happened to be the ladies' favorite dance move. Enjoy these cookies while you dance around to music!
Gift: Can of Pepperidge Farms Pirouette cookies and a Christmas music CD

Day 10: Lords a'leaping
If you're like us, you have a hard enough time putting up with the sound of a house full of excited kids leaping around this close to Christmas. You certainly don't need 10 full grown men jumping over your furniture and knocking things over! So here's another reason for your kids to leap around. While they're burning off some steam, you can put your feet up and keep them toasty and warm in these cozy socks!
Gift: Jump ropes for each child and a pair of fuzzy socks for Mom

Day 11: Pipers piping
If you finally decide to add that new addition on to your home, then we'll talk more about giving you 11 pipers. Just make sure you add enough bedrooms! In the mean time, here are some musical instruments to pipe away on by yourselves, and some 'piping hot' cocoa mix to enjoy after the concert!
Gift: recorders (88 cents each from WalMart) and a can of gourmet hot cocoa mix

Day 12: Drummers Drumming (This note was put in a Christmas card, along with a copy of 'The Meaning Behind the Song' of the 12 days of Christmas that I found on the internet. It gives Christian symbolism for each day.)
The drummers had another gig and couldn't clear their schedule. Nor, of course, could they fit in this sack. So they suggested we give you a box of ice cream Drumsticks in their place. Oh, but ice cream melts at room temperature, especially after 12 days. You know that. We know that. That's why we ate them for you. But if you look in the ice cream box, you'll find a gift card to (a local grocery store). You can use it to buy your own ice cream. Or a dozen fried chicken drumsticks from the deli. Merry Christmas!
Gift: Empty Ice Cream Drumsticks box and a grocery store gift card

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love these ideas. I printing them off so I can do these next year. What fun!