valentine's day salad

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I got this from Martha Stewart:
Dress up a green salad for Valentine's Day with a garnish of tender beet hearts. Prepare the beets by roasting or steaming them: To roast, heat oven to 400 degrees, wrap beets tightly in foil, and cook until a fork slides in easily, about 1 hour; to steam, place whole beets in a steamer basket in a medium saucepan, and cook until fork tender, 25 to 60 minutes, depending on their size. Peel the beets once they're cooled; for easy peeling, use paper towels to rub skins off. Slice peeled beets thinly with a mandoline, and make heart shapes with a cookie cutter. Serve arranged around the edge of your favorite green salad.

If you want to see the picture go to: http://www.marthastewart.com/portal...e010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=taxonomylist
:cloudnine:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'll just use canned sliced beets. Cookie cutters come in different sizes so I'll use a smaller size. Or I'll just cut a "v" shape out of the top and cut the bottom into a big "v" shape. I'd use fresh beets if Martha will send her cooking staff over to my house. lol

I'm going to look for some sliced pickled beets. That would be good in a salad.

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Several years back Dh and I had an amazing Anniversary dinner at a 5 star restaurant. Before the appetizer they brought out this amazing little teaser that we would never have ordered as we both HATE beets. It was a thin slice of beet topped with shrimp and drizzled with an incredible dressing. I am seeing a heart shaped beet slice topped with pink shrimp!

I will have to try to find a dressing online.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
I love that idea! Thanks for sharing it!!!! :love2: