Week #2: Breakfast Entrees

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Breakfast on Christmas morning can be a challenge. Everyone wants to join in the fun of Christmas and not be stuck in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up. So this week we will share and experiment with Breakfast Entrees. Ones that are simple or make aheads will be super so please feel free to share breakfast entree ideas for us to give trial runs this week. Then again we will review and rate them and post our results here in the thread!!

Thread will open Week Two.....

:tree:

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
OOPS.....I forgot to open the Week 2 Cookoff thread before I headed out camping....so still a couple days to post your favorites!!! Sorry all

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Since I goofed up opening this one....we will determine the "winner" by a randonm drawing...so enter your breakfast recipe here...and on Wednesday...I will put all the names of people who post a recipe into a hat and draw a winner!!!

mommyby3

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beautiful North Carolina
Here is my family's favorite. The kids look forward to this on Christmas morning.

Baked French Toast

10 oz thinly sliced French bread
8 eggs
3 cups milk
4 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter, cubed

Arranged bread slices in greased 9x13 pan. Beat eggs together with milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour over bread in baking dish. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Uncover dot with butter. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with warm maple syrup and powered sugar.

This has been our Christmas morning meal for 10 years. We love it.

Denise

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
When I was growing up we always had this and now I make it for my family. It is a make the night before recipe and then you cook it in the morning.

Sausage Breakfast Casserole

6 slices bread, buttered
1 lb. sausage
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs, beaten
2 c. half & half
1 tsp. salt and pepper

Cut off bread crusts, put in greased 13x9 dish, set aside. Cook sausage until brown, spoon over bread, sprinkle with cheese, combine eggs and half & half and pour over cheese. Cover and keep in refrigerator. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
Here in Northern Germany we sometimes eat scrambled eggs for breakfast.
If you like it a little more festive you can make

Scrambled eggs with crabs or scampi

Whisk 4 eggs together with 4 table spoons milk, salt and pepper.

Start with 1 Tbsp. Natural Butter in cold skillet. Add the egg-mixture.
When eggs are almost done, add in ½ cup crabs
(or/and 1/2 cup chopped ham and 1-2 slices of cheese if you like).

Hand it with Toast or brown bread.

Enjoy your breakfast! :)

I also found a recipe were they whisk in ½ Tbsp. Wildtree Scampi Blend into the eggs
instead of crabs. Haven`t try that.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
This was listed as one of the tips but I marinate a ham in pineapple juice, brown sugar and a jar of marichino cherries. then put in the crock pot and cook overnight.

We really like this easy casserole I made it one year for one of my son's class for a breakfast I was doing and I got request for it next time they needed food. Plus it can be made the night before and just put in the oven in the AM, always nice.

1 lb sasauge cooked and drained (plain or spicy as you like)
* we like to cook the sasauge w/ peppers and onions but this can be added or left out to
your preference
1 (8 ct) package crescent roll
4 eggs
salt/pepper to taste
1 8 oz pk shredded cheddar cheese
1 8 oz pk shredded mozzarella cheese (some times I just pick up a bag of mixed shreadded cheese also to taste)

spray a 9x13 and roll out the crescent roll into the bottom. Sprinkle the sasauge over the rolls. Beat eggs w/ salt and pepper and pour over the sasauge. Top w/ the cheese. Cover and refridgerate overnight. Bake, unocvered, in a preheated 305 deg oven for 15 min till rolls are brown and cheese is bubbly.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
This is a yummy twist on french toast... I found the recipe on a website, and it's really delicious!

Panettone french toast with berries and cream

3 eggs
1/3 cup (80ml) thin cream
1/3 cup (80ml) milk
2 tbs caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Two 1.5cm-thick slices of panettone (sliced to whatever size you like)
250g frozen mixed berries, thawed
2 tbs icing sugar (with some extra for dusting)
40g unsalted butter
Thick cream or yoghurt (to serve with)

In a wide bowl, beat eggs, cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. Add the panettone, turn to coat and leave to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down from time to time to ensure it soaks up the batter.

Meanwhile, place half the berries in a blender with icing sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Blend until smooth. Combine with remaining berries and set aside.

Heat half the butter in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Drain excess egg mixture from half the panettone slices and cook for 1-2 minutes each side until golden. Keep warm while you repeat with remaining butter and panettone.

To serve, place two slices on each plate, dust with icing sugar, and top with berry compote and a dollop of cream.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I made this the year before last. It's was pretty good, with a subtle hint of eggnog.

Eggnog French Toast

Ingredients

* 2 eggs, beaten slightly
* 1 1/2 cups eggnog
* 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
* 12 slices French bread

Directions

1. Whisk the eggs. eggnog, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a mixing bowl until well blended. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
2. Preheat an electric skillet to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease the skillet.
3. Dip one slice of bread at a time into the eggnog mixture, being sure to coat each side of the bread thoroughly.
4. Place the prepared bread slices into the preheated skillet, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on each side. Place cooked slices on a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm until all French toast is cooked. Serve immediately.

Additonal suggestion:
This is a recipe you'll want to use year round, but since it uses eggnog it makes it an extra special holiday treat that my family requests weekly! To make it even more flavorful, soak and refrigerate the bread overnight in a large baking dish. Serve warm with powdered sugar and syrup if you like. The French toast goes well with scrambled eggs, too. Enjoy!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Brunch Pizza Squares

1 pound bulk pork sausage
1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
4 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, crumble sausage and cook over medium heat until no longer pink and drain. Unroll crescent dough onto the bottom and 1/2" up the sides of a lightly greased 13X9" pan. Seal seams. Sprinkle the crescent dough with sausage.
In a large bowl beat the eggs, milk and pepper, pour ove the sausage. Sprinkle egg mixture with cheddar cheese.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

I have kind of added to the recipe:
When cooking the sausage I add alittle bit of cajun seasoning to it.
I also add diced green peppers and onions.
We like mushrooms so I add them.
I use 3 eggs and about 1 tablespoon milk.
The cheese sometimes I use pepperjack. I add the cheese on towards the last.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I didn't read thru the other recipes before posting and I see that piratemamaof3boys has one very close to this already up. Sorry!

I take it to work often and make it during deer season for the guys breakfast.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Still time to get your breakfast recipes posted!!!

Flower Girl

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
My husband's three favorite French Tost recipes

We are pretty spoiled to using croissants for all of these recipes, but these are the original recipes I started with.

Croissant French Toast

* 4 croissants - cut in half lengthwise
* 2/3 cup low fat milk
* 3 large eggs - lightly beaten
* 1/3 cup orange juice
* 2 Tablespoons butter
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Melt butter in on a skillet or in a large frying pan at medium-high heat.

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except croissants. Beat until well combined.

Drag croissants through the mixture and flip until completely coated. Cook about 3 minutes on each side side or until golden brown.

Serve with butter and maple syrup.

Grated dark chocolate over the top is awesome; you can also stuff them with a TB of Nestle's Semi Sweet morsels before dredging

Chocolate-Stuffed Orange French Toast

(This recipe yields 4 servings) Printable Version

* 8 slices French bread - 1/2-inch thick
* 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter - cut into small pieces
* 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
* 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 6 large eggs
* 1/2 cup orange juice
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium mixing bowl, mix the chocolate chips with the butter, brown sugar cocoa powder and cinnamon. Beat with an electric beater on slow speed until well combined. Mixture should still be chunky and not easy to spread. Spoon this mixture evenly over 4 pieces of bread. Top those with the remaining 4 slices to create 4 sandwiches.

In a large, shallow mixing bowl or baking dish, beat the eggs with all remaining ingredients until well-combined and slightly frothy. Let this mixture set for 5 minutes.

Prepare a skillet or large frying pan by placing it over medium heat and spraying it generously with cooking spray.

Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and flip them over so the flat-sides are well-coated and borderline-soggy. Transfer the sandwiches to the skillet using a spatula. Cook each side until golden brown (about 4 minutes per side).

Serve immediately with a small pat of softened butter and your favorite topping.

Chocolate Stuffed French Toast

(This recipe yields 6 servings) Printable Version

* 1 loaf French bread
* 3/4 cup chocolate chips
* 5 large eggs
* 1 and 1/3 cups of milk
* 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon of sugar

Cut the loaf of bread into 6 slices - about 1 and 1/2 inches thick. Create a pocket for the chips by making a cut from the bottom crust of the bread to about 1/2 inch from the top.

Prepare a 13 x 9 baking dish with a generous coating of cooking spray.

Place the slit bread face down - side-by-side in the baking dish. Fill each slit in the bread with 2 Tablespoons of chocolate chips.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, sugar and spices. Pour this mixture over the bread slices in the pan.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (great for overnight).

When ready to prepare, bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

Topping possibilities include butter and maple syrup, chocolate sauce and whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
whooo...Chocolate stuffed french toast. Sounds super yummy!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stuffed French Bread

1 lb cooked bulk sausage
6 eggs
1 - 1/2 cups milk
1/2 onion diced
1/2 cup diced bell pepper (optional)
1/2 cup diced mushrooms (optional)
1 bag shredded cheese (any flavor you like)
1 loaf french bread (can use a loaf of italian bread too)

Cover cookie sheet with foil with enough hanging over the sides. Slice the bread length ways about 1/4 from the top and place in center of foil . Remove the bread from the center of the bottom section of the bread. Cook up the sausage and onion together, mix in the mushrooms and peppers. Beat eggs and add milk, mix well. Add a layer of shredded cheese (1/3 the bag) to bottom of the hallowed out bread, cover cheese with 1/2 sausage mixture, add another layer of cheese (1/3 of bag), layer the rest if the suasage mixture and then top with the rest of the cheese. Pour egg mixture over sausage/cheese. Place top portion of bread back on. Wrap up in the foil. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes and then slice. You can make this the night before and let it sit in the fridge over night.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The winner...is Mommyby3.....PM me your name and address so I can send your prize!!

Thanks all for submitting some delicious recipes!!! Don;t forget to post in the Week Three thread Desserts and Cookies!!!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Congrat's Mommyby3!!!!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Bumping...I haven't heard from mommyby3 yet!!!

mommyby3

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beautiful North Carolina
Thanks so much. I was so surprised.
Ginger I sent you a PM please let me know if you get it or not.