Week 2 Calendar and Creativity

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Here is the link for this week's assignment:

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/houseworks-holiday-plan/calendar-week

This week's focus is setting up our holiday calendar. Scheduling any needed house maintenance such as furnace and carpet cleaning. Don't forget the family photo sessions.

We also need to get our creative spaces organized. Take an inventory of what craft projects you have not finished and what supplies are needed. Remember the Rule of Four!!

Have a great week!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Mel! I'd love to find a place to make a wrapping station and a place for my crafts.

My holiday calendar is pretty up to date for now. :)

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
My first post! Thanks Gingerbug.

I am somewhat combining last weeks houseworks chores with this weeks since my office shares the same room with my creative space.

I'd like to share something that I tried a few years ago that worked really well for organizing my creative projects, whether it was sewing, painting, crochet, gardening plans, beginner knitting, or soap making. I would begin a project and inevitably life would interrupt my creativity. I'd put it down and if I wasn't able to come back to it fairly soon then it became abandoned in stacks and piles everywhere. I had those clear sweater boxes coming out of the wazoo from a business closing so I put them to use. I gathered every single project along with instructions and everything needed to complete the project and placed each one in a box with a large label on the outside with the project name. These were able to be stacked nicely and when that creative juice started flowing and I had a little time it was so easy to grab and box and pick up right where I left off and not have to figure out where I left off or go ransacking the house to find missing pieces, tools or supplies needed to complete the project.

I lost my home in Rita and my beloved project boxes. Needless to say I'm up to my eyeballs in projects everywhere once again. This is the room that the door stays closed because I'm so ashamed of it. Until this weeks Holiday Houseworks Plan was read I'd forgotten all about it. I just returned from Targets and the craft God's must have been shining down upon me because they have all of their good Rubbermaid and Sterlite storage containers on sale for very reasonable.

Something that I think I have finally come to terms with is the fact that I do NOT have to store every single project in my small creative space. I hope I am not the only one that sees a project and hurries up to get everything to create it and then seldom finds the time to actually start it so there it sits. I've decided to go ahead and put all of the projects that I will not be working on in the next three months into my attic. In other words, if it's not for the holidays or a gift then out of my space it goes and into the attic or storeroom in waiting. I find it difficult to give a project 100% focus and be creative when 20 more are staring you in the face, tucked under your feet and shoved in every nook and cranny you have in your creative spaces.

So please share your ideas on cleaning and organizing your creative space.

P.S. - I did print out my weekly assignments as well as my calendars for my Holiday Planner. As a reward for finally clearing off my destop I decided to purchase a new wall calendar for my desk area. OMG, it's a dated jungle out there. I felt like Goldilocks. They were too big, too little, too cluttered, too plain, pockets, magnetic, files.......................................... What happened to nice and simple?:eek:

Last edited:

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Has anyone else had problems with one of the links from the Calendar and Creativity Week?
I can't get into •Declutter and Organize Sewing, Hobby and Craft Spaces which I believe is linked to www.seworganized.com
Thanks!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Nutcracker,

I can't get into it either.

happydogs

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
Sedond Page of Houseworks Calendar

Has anyone been able to print the second calendar page for the Houseworks plan? I keep getting an error message? Any thoughts help sure would be appreciated.

It's been a year or two since I was active here, but looking forward to getting on track for holidays.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
ejagno - Great ideas for keeping our crafty projects organized and under control. I've been using ziplock baggies (gallon size) because, quite frankly, my creative endeavors are quite humble! ;)

As for finding a nice wall calendar, I gave up a few years ago and now make my own with pics of my boys, but you could also use scrapbook paper to match the holidays/seasons. I make several copies for family and they have become great gifts...some people ask me every December if they'll be getting their new calendar for Christmas!

Welcome to MHH!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
The sleigh is clean and ready for holiday travel!

One area that I haven't seen mentioned in all of the holiday prep is "your vehicle". I spent today decluttering & deep cleaning my vehicle as well as resupplying my emergency road kit. My emergency kit changes from summer to winter. It's also a good time to freshen supplies with new items. This is also the time to change out the windshield wipers and get the oil changed, doors lubed, brakes checked, tires rotated and just a good tune-up done. Winter is always harder on vehicles it seems so by starting off with good preventive maintenance it puts you one step ahead of a break down in unbearable weather.

Aside from emergency kits. Every year I ask my kids to let me know when their company/office parties are. As a gift to them I always drive them to their parties and pick them up and bring them home afterwards. We also babysit the grandbabies. It allows them to have a good time and gives me amazing peace of mind.

Now let's go shopping! I also pulled out my cover for the rear section of my 4-runner so that packages and such are not visible to anyone from the outside.

This weeks HHP suggested making travel plans. Well, I have no plans to travel out of town but it certainly was a good reminder to do my fall maintenance. It was way past due and my 4-runner looked more like a rolling dumpster/storage building than a vehicle. LOL

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Great reminder, ejagno!

Annie

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Ejagno I keep a tote in the trunk full of auto items like oil, antifreeze, windshield wash, rock salt, etc. Before the cold weather arrives I too make sure to get my car ready for winter. Luckily my brother has experience as a mechanic (he used to work for a car dealership) so I get him to give my car a good work-over and if it's something he doesn't feel comfortable doing he tells me to take it to a reputable mechanic - someone he uses.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
ejagno/aggy - we must be on the same wavelength - DH and I just dropped off my SUV for its "fall/winter" service today...which means I also removed the small bin I keep in the back with a change of clothes for us and the boys...I will swap out the summer clothes, sunscreen, etc. for warmer clothes, hats, mittens, blankets, etc. when I get my truck back!

Aside from the fluids and rock salt, I also keep a small shovel in the back of my truck all winter. Of course, it's still pretty warm here!

Great reminder!

Last edited:

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Hello! I'm a week late in getting started, so I have some catch up to do! I am so excited to get started on the HHP this year. I need it more than ever as I am trying to finish my degree this semester and have full time work and family commitments too!

My plan this week is to finish catching up my budget and planning stuff from last week and get the calendar week going. I will get a start on my office/craft room (lucky for me that last week and this week are combined) but it is such a disaster that I'll have to use one of the bonus room weeks later on for it too! My house isn't very big so I have some extra weeks that don't match up with the plan.

Today I'll be at the hospital all day with my hubby as he gets tests and procedures done, so the waiting room will become my Christmas prep area for the day. Way to take some eggs and turn them into eggnog!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Laney I like that - take somes eggs and turn them into eggnog. I sure could go for a glass of eggnog right now.

Colleen I need to get me a small shovel. I have one but it takes up too much space in my trunk.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Getting the vehicles ready for winter is a great idea. I will be adding this to my list. We have a bag that is for first aid in both the car and the truck, but I don't even know what is in there.

My Christmas work space is looking good. Getting rid of all those magazines really helped. I have lots of room now.

TerryMaine

Retire Member
Oct 10, 2008
I'm bummed

Overly warm temps and high humidity have gotten to me. I'm just not feeling Christmas
yet. I've even tried playing my Christmas tunes all to no avail.
I'm trying to work out the fall fix-it list as well as incorporate Christmas prep like the
plan says and I'm rather peeved at me for not having done more de-clutter over the
Summer.
I'm gonna keep plugging away and hopefully by the time it begins to cool off here I will be
in a better position to feel all festive and frolic a little.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Terry,

You have a great attitude. Don't worry about what you haven't done. Keep plugging away - every bit helps and you will notice a difference.

I hope the Christmas spirit hits you soon, otherwise the MHH gang may have to make a house call!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'd like to share something that I tried a few years ago that worked really well for organizing my creative projects, whether it was sewing, painting, crochet, gardening plans, beginner knitting, or soap making. I would begin a project and inevitably life would interrupt my creativity. I'd put it down and if I wasn't able to come back to it fairly soon then it became abandoned in stacks and piles everywhere. I had those clear sweater boxes coming out of the wazoo from a business closing so I put them to use. I gathered every single project along with instructions and everything needed to complete the project and placed each one in a box with a large label on the outside with the project name. These were able to be stacked nicely and when that creative juice started flowing and I had a little time it was so easy to grab and box and pick up right where I left off and not have to figure out where I left off or go ransacking the house to find missing pieces, tools or supplies needed to complete the project.

This is a great idea! I use lots of Sterilite Boxes in my organizing. I started using them heavily a few years back so I could see just how many duplicate items I had. I was floored by the number of duplicates and was able to purge tons. Like the idea of using the boxes for on-going projects!

Calendar: I pretty much use my Palm for my calendar but there is a wall calendar I'm after: a re-writable framed box calendar down at Ben Franklin Crafts. I drool over it every time I see it. Santa didn't get it for me for Christmas last year. It is a glass framed box (really any framed glass would do) and it comes with a clear plastic insert with a calendar template on it. You write and erase with what they call "Bistro Markers" but the cool thing is you can switch out the background paper for whatever you'd like - so for instance, by the season. I can use Fall colors in Fall, Winter pix in winter, etc. As for holiday dates and such, that will come together once the school gives us all THEIR dates and blocking out "Me Time" for November & December as soon as I hit "Submit Reply".

Car -- I too drive a 4-Runner and I too just dragged out the cover to the back for that exact same reason! :) However, right now the back of it is filled with boxes for charity, soccer gear, game blankets and fold-up chairs, umbrellas, wood/tile/paint samples to have in hand while shopping for the home... LOL! At the moment I feel like I'm driving my closet!!! I'm going to find one of those Cargo Logic boxes for the back to at corral some of it til the end of soccer season. I had huge car issues last year (resulting from a period of extreme heat the previous summer). My engine chose its untimely death for DECEMBER! And that was after losing November to the Swine Flu. Talk about messing up my schedule! Lordy! Yup -- getting the car serviced now is a mighty good plan -- and mine is serviced and ready to go!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Playing catch-up.

(x) create seasonal calendar. I have a calendar section in my notebook however I do want to purchase a nice wall calendar.
( ) plan holiday travel. Will not be doing any traveling over the holidays
(x) start a set of tear files. I found a few decorating ideas I may try this year.
(/) start and use a shopping list. List is done but have not started shopping.
(x) inventory unfinished craft projects.
(x) begin a "Gifts to Make" list