WEEK 2: Living room and Questions Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This week we are deep cleaning the living room and asking questions. We are also continuing with our holiday lists, shopping, and prep.

The questions this week is all about our values, what is the most important focus of our holiday. Where do faith, family, friends, traditions, giving and decorating fall in importance in our holiday season? Lastly what is your ideal Christmas?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Working on finishing my kitchen this week. I’ve been picking away the last couple of weeks- a drawer here a cupboard there. All that’s left is polishing the appliances, washing the out side of the cabinets, the floor and cleaning behind the frig (a husband help job). We got behind the stove a few weeks ago.

Faith and family come first at our house, for everything, not just Christmas.
My ideal Christmas is everybody home for Christmas on Christmas. We spent so many years juggling Christmas due to work and family situations. We made it work, but there’s something special to me about celebrating on Christmas with my family.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My husband is picking up the brick for our parlour/living room today. We are installing a brick accent wall behind the couch with a planned picture rail moulding. We need to wait till this room is painted before we install the brick, so its another project for another month (but will be completed before December!) The brick we found online (Kijiji) at a fraction of the cost. I do plan on cleaning out this room however this week, going through the games and items we store in this room and boxing things up so we can prep to paint and move only things we love back in :)

This is the first year I will have one of my sons not living at home during the holidays; he may even work the holidays as he works in long term care facility. So we are being flexible in regards to how this will look! Some new answers for the yearly question week:
I see Christmas as a time for family, primarily my immediate family of 5.
We do not place a lot of emphasis on any one religion during Christmas; we do however have a primarily Christian upbringing so that cultural factor plays a role.
Christmas is pretty much all my effort. My husband and boys help when asked but they do not plan ahead for the holidays.
Activities we enjoy are watching holiday movies together, playing board games and meals as a family.
We enjoy the lights, music and décor of the holidays the most! They are very important, though not elaborate, to our holiday home.
My ideal Christmas I think is 'this one'. I have come to a place in my life where I am learning to celebrate the now and find the joy that it offers.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I see Christmas as a time for family, primarily my immediate family of 5.
We do not place a lot of emphasis on any one religion during Christmas; we do however have a primarily Christian upbringing so that cultural factor plays a role.
Christmas is pretty much all my effort. My husband and boys help when asked but they do not plan ahead for the holidays.
Activities we enjoy are watching holiday movies together, playing board games and meals as a family.
We enjoy the lights, music and décor of the holidays the most! They are very important, though not elaborate, to our holiday home.
My ideal Christmas I think is 'this one'. I have come to a place in my life where I am learning to celebrate the now and find the joy that it offers.
Tam, you and I are very similar with our ideal Christmas.

Christmas is mostly my thing, DH and the kids will help if asked but primarily it is all up to me, I am fine with that.
My ideal Christmas is a quiet and relaxed one with family and friends. It is Summer here, the days are long and everyone is on holidays from work so we can just sit, relax and enjoy each others company. We like playing games, watching movies, listening to music, going for a picnic or a walk. Now that my kids are grown I need to be mindful that plans can change and I need to be flexible with my plans to accommodate the kids. (this is a work in progress for me).
Decor over the last few years has been very much scaled down and I hope to scale it down a bit more this year.
I loved decorating when the kids were young, it added to the excitement but without any kids in the house I find I do not enjoy decorating as much as I used to.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looking forward to working on our loungeroom this week. It is an open room that comes straight off our entry way which I did last week as a part of porch week. It was cleaned pretty well back in March as part of my Winter prep so hopefully will not take too long.
I like to have this room organised and tidy as you can see it from the front door and it is a room that we spend a lot of time in. It is also the room that we put the Christmas tree in and decorate the most.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I will be working on my living room this week, starting tomorrow. Today I have to reclaim my kitchen. I have all of the decorations from the rehearsal dinner Friday night piled on every available surface. I haven't even looked at it. Saturday was wedding day and Sunday was recovery day. I didn't even get out of my pjs, slippers or recliner all day.

Tomorrow I will clean the living room well and decorate for fall! I can't wait!!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
So we are being flexible in regards to how this will look! Some new answers for the yearly question week:
I think that as our children grow and have their own lives flexibility is the new watchword. Must see what their plans are before we can make ours.

As we are not Christian, and celebrate Hanukkah whenever it falls in December, or November (ugh - not November) Christmas is about the joy that seems to pervade the world during that winter (for us) season. It is about bringing light into darkness - as is Hanukkah, Diwali, Yule....- and celebrating, with music, and food, and family the turning of the year.

Housewise, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival or a new chair for the LR and then will spruce up the decor a bit for autumn. Decluttering is always necessary but the fact that all the upholstery was Stanley Steamered earlier this year puts me ahead of the game.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Kitchen is pretty well finished. Waiting on husband to move the frig. Will polish the stainless steel after I take my nail polish down.
I moved all the canned goods that expire in 2023 to the kitchen pantry. Except for 3 cans, all my 2022 canned goods are gone.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Happy Labor Day to friends in the US. My late hubs was a union electrician, so this day played a roll in our household for years. As I kick off Week 2, my focus will be on the living room, which shares space with my dining room. Some work will cross over, but other will not. I need to get the following tackled --
  • dust crown moulding and walls DONE
  • wash baseboards DONE (well, dusted them)
  • wash windows in and out (if possible -- will have to reach out one window to wash the others' exterior; can't remember if it's do-able or not) DONE (inside only; can't reach far enough to do outside)
  • wash window screens DONE
  • clean out buffet, inside and out, and weed, wash, and better organize contents (shifted to Week 13)
  • vac couches and polish all furniture DONE
  • damp-mop floors (laminate) DONE
  • set out autumn decor, including swapping candles, wax melts, and potpourri DONE (except potpourri; need to purchase)

Carried over from Week 1, due to weather --
  • paint front door DONE
  • hang autumn door wreath DONE
Christmas, for me, is a time of reflection and focus on what I find important. That may be different from others in my family, but it's important to me to make family my focus. As many know, I was widowed 8 years ago, in my mid-50s. I have only one DD, who is married and lives an hour away. My personal immediate family is all in SW Mich. and have families of their own (and their own "issues"). Because there are "littles" involved, they tend to do their own thing for Christmas. While we FaceTime or call on Christmas, there's been no other involvement with them over the holidays in aeons. I have tried in the past and may try something again this year. But Christmas generally involves me, my DD and SIL, and a couple of close friends on the days leading up to the holiday.

While our family is Christian (my DH was Catholic; we were married in the Catholic church, but I never converted; DD was raised Catholic, as was DSIL, but neither are practicing), I've not found a church in my now-suburban area where I feel a true fit. There are a couple of churches on my radar, but I've not felt compelled to join either. I have my spiritual readings, and I'll watch televised midnight Mass, but I'm not actively involved in organized religion. My charitable giving has always been centered around Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I'll have several bags for donation to the food pantry. Through work, DH would also gift the Chicago Food Depository, and I've continued the tradition in his memory.

Christmas traditions have included Christmas Eve with friends. As their family continues to grow, I'm not sure how much longer they'll host. But it's always an enjoyable time, and is close to home. Christmas morning is by myself, with dinner either at my place or at DDs. Last year, DSis#2 brought my mom in from Michigan and she spent the holiday with us, and that was nice. I'm hopeful that we can do something similar this year, but things are still up in the air.

My wish is that my extended family can all gather some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas to celebrate the holidays as a large family. I've offered to host Thanksgiving, but not sure if that will come to fruition. Not getting anything more than "I can't plan that far in advance" from pretty much everyone. So, for now, I plan things how I want them to be. If someone wants to participate, so be it. If not, their loss.

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This year is going to be very different and the first year all three kids will not be here for Christmas or immediately after Christmas. I know it comes with aging and kids growing, so I'm trying to embrace the changes and adjust accordingly. I've been kicking off my home based baking and candy making business into full gear this year, so I've decided to give it my full focus for December and just try and make money and gain as many new customers as possible. It's not ideal, but if there was a year where I could give it my full attention, this would be a great year to do that. In other reflections I'm big about enjoying the small moments of the Christmas season. Really making note of what makes me happy and not relying on others to fulfill that happiness during the season. Even if I do things by myself, I've gotten to a point where I'm fine with that. I've also been pondering and "reflecting" on the relationship with my stepmother since my father passed. The bottom line is I'm trying to let go of some hurt (hurt that is justified) and move forward while there is some new positivity in the relationship. With the kids not being here at all, there's been some debate going on about going to see her at Christmas. I think we've come to the decision we will, but I need to call her and see how she reacts. If she says yes, I'm going to work really hard and not build any great expectations. I'm also telling myself that worse case scenario, if it turns bad, it's one day. ONE DAY...and Christmas is more than just one day.

As far as my room focus this week, I shared that I'm leaving tomorrow for a retreat so I completed both the dining room and kitchen last week and into Monday of this week. I keep walking in my dining room and thinking...DANG IT LOOKS GOOD!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
In other reflections I'm big about enjoying the small moments of the Christmas season.
I can't wait for all the small moments that I've missed in the last three years Vic has been away - a stop at Starbucks and a stroll downtown, checking out Christmas displays at the mall, breakfast out and then browsing at Barnes and Noble, craft fairs, and a Christmas movie. It's been a long time since we've had those small moments.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My livingroom isn't that bad. I do need to dust the shelves in there. Recently cleaned under the sectional so we wont need to do that do that again until beginning of Nov. I do need to steam mop the floors too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
. Even if I do things by myself, I've gotten to a point where I'm fine with that. I've also been pondering and "reflecting" on the relationship with my stepmother since my father passed. The bottom line is I'm trying to let go of some hurt (hurt that is justified) and move forward while there is some new positivity in the relationship. With the kids not being here at all, there's been some debate going on about going to see her at Christmas. I think we've come to the decision we will, but I need to call her and see how she reacts. If she says yes, I'm going to work really hard and not build any great expectations. I'm also telling myself that worse case scenario, if it turns bad, it's one day. ONE DAY...and Christmas is more than just one day.
!
You see her one day the weekend before or after Christmas to fullfill the obligation So you can have Christmas day to yourself.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
My living room & dining room are all one open area. As a result, both rooms get completed this week. (Dining room will be the focus this weekend.)
I plan to do some "test" baking of a new cookie recipe. I want to do freezer meals, but my freezer is very unorganized & has been since my son & grandson moved in. Oh my gosh!
Christmas to me is a time for family. I pick a day for Family Dinner Day in December & our focus is on sharing our time, a meal, gifts & some games. (I am doing the plastic wrap game again. That one went better than some others.)
Yes, Christmas has been so different since dh died, ds got divorced, etc. It's up to me to keep things going & the way they've always been. I slacked a bit. I'm working my way back.
I love traditions. I think they help keep a family grounded. It brings us together. We always have Archway cookies when we decorate the tree. One year I skipped them & my kids let me know it! LOL
I love when my house is decorated for Christmas. I haven't done outdoor lights in quite a few years, but that's okay. I focus on the inside.
My ideal Christmas is just to have all of my kids & grandkids here together. Just one day.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Archway cookies!!!!???? Do they still make them? Haven’t had them in ages. That and Tang!

My kitchen is completely finished and so is the sunroom. Hadn’t planned the sunroom but I decided the plants needed repotted. Called my favorite nursery about doing 2 of them, was hoping they could divide them. Thought since the big plants were going to be out for a few days it would be a good time. My aloe Vera is about 3 feet across, the snake plant is a little over 4 ft tall. They repotted the aloe, couldn’t split it. Took 3 of us to do that. The snake plant they wouldn’t touch, but they did tell me how to do it. So a expensive trip to lowes, I have all I need. Will do plants on Monday. Husband decided we need to do the garage on Sunday!
Landscape lady was here today. She sprayed all the thistle in my flower beds and started a fall clean up. She’ll made one more pass and spray again. Unfortunately she found a brown recluse spider. So we got spider killer at lowes. That’s what bit me and why we now have a landscaper do my beds! We have tons of praying mantis but I guess they don’t like to eat spiders??

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Tang!!!!!!!! LOL :D

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I should make up some Tang and instant tea drink. I have forgotten what it is called.
Lemonaid and Tea is an Arnold Palmer, I think. I'm not sure about Tang and Tea. Hey ... Tangy Tea???????????? LOL

Reactions: Ahorsesoul