Week 3: Me & Mine/Master Bedroom & Personal Spaces

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Reading Assignments from Houseworks :
• Sweet Dreams in the Organized Bedroom - page 200
• Top Tips for Organizing the Master Bedroom - page 202
• How to Clean A Dry Room - page 60

This Week's Houseworks Checklist
• Declutter, clean and decorate the Master Bedroom. It's a place for rest and renewal ... if you can find the space! Finally, add decorative touches--candles, scent diffusers, flowers--to make the master bedroom a pleasant place to recharge your batteries.
• Tackle the clothes closet. Make room for holiday finery as you sort and toss summer's stained garments.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
• Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. Make sure you know what you have before you buy--and shop at home first!
• Make a Christmas card list. Pull out the address book or database, and make a Christmas card list. Give thought to simplifying and reducing cards sent.
• Use a computer address book for Christmas card envelopes or labels. Harness the power of computer technology. If your card lists is still kept on paper, convert it to a computerized form.
• Print address labels for Christmas cards. If using address labels for your cards or letters, print them now. You'll be ready to write, sign and seal!
• Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters. If you'll be buying cards this year, order them now--particularly if you'll be using the popular photo cards.
• Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. If you find the season stressful, plan now for some personal pampering sessions. A massage, a retreat, or even a gathering with girlfriends can be a welcome break in a busy month.
• Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box; inventory any previously-purchased gifts. If you haven't already, set aside a specific place in your home to hold all bought-ahead gifts. A printable gift closet inventory form will let you know what you have while shopping or making out a gift list, so print one for your Christmas planner today.

Notebook pages to create or print
• Christmas Card List
• Gift Closet Inventory

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Week 3 Houseworks: Declutter & Clean Master Bedroom & Personal Spaces

I've cleaned out and decluttered all of the drawers, cabinets, headboard, shelving and closets. We are still at 103 degree heat indeces today so I will hold off on switching out my cool cotton summer clothing for warmer winter wear. I've added that on to my Week 6: Clothing care and clothes closets which I felt overlapped with this assignment anyway. At that time I will also switch out my bed linens to my thick holiday comfortors & flannel sheets. For now it's decluttered and ready for a serious cleaning.

Now, how many of you are dealing with the C-Pap machines? OMG, it's hard to create a romantic space with this machine and it's hoses drapping across the headboard. I'd much rather have DH alive and I'm so thankful that this type of technology is available, but it still makes it difficult to create a romantic space with all of this hardware. My wheels are spinning on how to somehow camoflauge this elephant sitting on my headboard and incorporate it into the seasonal decor.LOL

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Week 3: Holiday Preparations

(Done) Inventories cards, wrapping and mailing supplies
(95% Done) Christmas Card List being updated
(Scheduled) Personal Pampering: I've scheduled my appointments for hair, nails to coincide with holiday events
(Done) Gift closet: I repurposed a seldom used Armoire in the guest bedroom for this purpose.

Now, back to plugging away at my storage room and creative spaces which happens to include my office. LOL

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ejagno, thanks for the help and reminders! From your post a C-Pap machine is for those who stop breathing when they sleep? One of my BIL's has it.

My lists are done, but I too want to wait to switch winter & summer clothes and then I'll purge out the summer clothes before putting them away.
My bedroom is ok, but I still haven't found my curtains, curtain rods & light fixture. DD is going to paint a big painting to put above my bed in her paint classes that start on tuesday. When all that is done I'll add some final touches (hopefully a corkboard with material to hang my necklaces) and maybe an old fashioned doll on the the bureau. I hope I can get my stuff before Christmas. The problem is I can't find the light fixture I want and I'm waiting to buy the curtain rods same color as light fixture. I also want plain navy curtains with blackout in the back. Can you believe how hard they are to find??

Personal pampering sessions... wow... I didn't think about those right now. Yep, I'm adding that to my to-do list.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
From your post a C-Pap machine is for those who stop breathing when they sleep?

Yes, that is what it's for.

My lists are done, but I too want to wait to switch winter & summer clothes and then I'll purge out the summer clothes before putting them away.

That's a very good way to do this. Now when you pull out your summer clothes next year you'll be ready to go.

DD is going to paint a big painting to put above my bed in her paint classes that start on tuesday.
This sounds absolutely wonderful. Having a painting from your daughter makes it that much more special.

When all that is done I'll add some final touches (hopefully a corkboard with material to hang my necklaces) and maybe an old fashioned doll on the the bureau.
Necklaces are tricky because of the different shapes, colors and sizes it can quickly turn into eye clutter. I ended up using the hooks from 3-M Command and lining the inside of my cabinet with these. I put a necklace with the matching earrings and bracelet on each one so that the whole set remains together. It's out of sight and neatly organized.

I also want plain navy curtains with blackout in the back. Can you believe how hard they are to find??
I would suggest just buying your navy drapes then go to your local fabric store and buy the black-out liner. You can either sew the liner to the back of the drapes or use a double stick tape or even velcro them directly to the window frame. My son is a shift worker so it's been a challenge to keep their bedroom dark and still look elegant.

I'm on a sock binge today. I'm so tired of the strays so today is the day that either it's mate is found or the sock is thrown out. No more stray sock basket.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have not ventured into this one yet and it;s a HUGE one for me. That room is always such a mess, a catch all. I have stuff that needs to into the attic (not that DH is up and the kids our out I should do it after posting here) . Come to think of it he is having a lazy day and just went up there to watch football so I am going to put him to work going through his clothes. he has lost alot of weight so so much is way too big.... hmm I'll post back tomorrow.

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I have a lot of work to do this week. My master bedroom is always a mess b/c I am so disorganized with clothes. I must change clothes 6 times each morning before I find something that is right. Of course there is a pile of clothes then thrown across the room as evidence too!

I didn't get everything done yet for last week, so I'm throwing a few holiday prep things onto this week list in addition to the list for the week. What I didn't get done of the houseworks list last week will just be saved till I have a free week later in the plan.

I will post again tomorrow hopefully with my official list of the week. For the first time, my planner is actually coming along nicely and I think I have finally figured out a good flow/layout after many failed years. It is always so nice when you realize that you are making progress!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ejagno - thanks for the jewelry & curtain suggestions :) I'll be keeping this in mind.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Ejagno, thanks for the help and reminders! From your post a C-Pap machine is for those who stop breathing when they sleep? One of my BIL's has it.

My bedroom is ok, but I still haven't found my curtains, curtain rods & light fixture. DD is going to paint a big painting to put above my bed in her paint classes that start on tuesday. When all that is done I'll add some final touches (hopefully a corkboard with material to hang my necklaces) and maybe an old fashioned doll on the the bureau. I hope I can get my stuff before Christmas. The problem is I can't find the light fixture I want and I'm waiting to buy the curtain rods same color as light fixture. I also want plain navy curtains with blackout in the back. Can you believe how hard they are to find??

Personal pampering sessions... wow... I didn't think about those right now. Yep, I'm adding that to my to-do list.

Luludou did you try Target or KMart? I have seen the curtains you want in those stores.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We don't have target and the kmarts are closed too! Walmart doesn't have real navy blue. I still have to go see at zellers. Otherwise I'll do as ejagno suggested.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Luludou -- I checked Amazon. They have blackout curtains in blue! :)

Ejagno -- DH has a CPap machine. He hates it. Surprised it is not broken for the number of times he rips it off in the middle of the night and hurls it. I wish he'd wear it more not only for his health but because it keeps him from snoring! His is currently sitting under his bedside table looking ugly like they all do. What if we got rattan boxes and cut out a hole for the tube to go through?

Done -- Found the Xmas cards I purchased at the after-Christmas sales.
Done -- Found the stash of last year's incoming cards to check over and make sure I haven't forgotten anything about the ongoings of the relatives.
Done -- Updated Calendar in my Palm with all dates that I know of so far and put place-holders for event/dates I suspect.
Epiphany: Having old fashioned photos of my family in our master may be nice for me but probably isn't for my husband (not that he has noticed). I moved them to another space and replaced them with family photos of happy times. Better!

NOT DONE: No brilliant ideas on what fabric my bed's pillowcases should be so they don't look so frumpy and wrinkled all the time. Ugh!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
DH has one of those lovely machines as well. What an eyesore they can be. Because I am such a light sleeper DH had to build a wooden box for his and lined it with Styrofoam to keep the noise down. It is on the floor between the dresser and the corner of the room, the cord runs along the baseboard to underneath the bed. Unless you go over to his side of the bed, you don't notice it. For the hose and the mask, he put a hook on the wall beside the dresser and again, you can't see it unless you go to that corner of the room.

For this week I need to finish putting away summer clothes. Fall is definitely here and it is time to get the summer stuff put away.

I also need to update my Christmas card list. I need to add some to the list as well as take one away. DH's aunt died a couple of weeks ago. She was 102.

Have a great week.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
• Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. done. Went through my gift wrap back during the summer and I have plenty. I just need to purchase stamps, some large gift bags and gift boxes.

• Make a Christmas card list. Pull out the address book or database, and make a Christmas card list. Give thought to simplifying and reducing cards sent. DONE

• Use a computer address book for Christmas card envelopes or labels. Harness the power of computer technology. If your card lists is still kept on paper, convert it to a computerized form. DONE.

• Print address labels for Christmas cards. If using address labels for your cards or letters, print them now. You'll be ready to write, sign and seal! I made some cute Christmas labels with everyone's address. They're ready to go

• Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters. If you'll be buying cards this year, order them now--particularly if you'll be using the popular photo cards. Looked at the boxes of Christmas cards that I bought on clearance last year and I think I will buy more or make some using my computer. I'm not really liking the one's I have (I originally thought they were nice). I'll use those to hand out to the people at the office. Last year my family received a DVD as a greeting card. I just made a slideshow of pictures of everyone from Christmases past and set them to music. And at the end of the slide show was the invitation to the Christmas Eve family dinner. They really got a kick out of that. Just had a thought. I have several boxes of cards for photos. I think I will use them on the job and display pictures of my co-workers. Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.

• Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. If you find the season stressful, plan now for some personal pampering sessions. A massage, a retreat, or even a gathering with girlfriends can be a welcome break in a busy month. Oh yeah! This is defiantely done. I set dates for pedicures, date night with my boyfriend (he works so hard and so much), brunch with the girls and just me/alone time.

• Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box; inventory any previously-purchased gifts. If you haven't already, set aside a specific place in your home to hold all bought-ahead gifts. A printable gift closet inventory form will let you know what you have while shopping or making out a gift list, so print one for your Christmas planner today. DONE. Although I have no gifts in there yet - LOL. I use the closet in the guest bedroom to store all of the gifts.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am updating my Christmas card list and I have decided to take 4 people off my list.

Two of the people I don't have contact with any other time of the year. They send cards after they receive mine and I know they are being sent out of obligation by the fact that they don't say much except Happy Holidays.

The other two don't send a card to us and again, no contact any other time of the year.

Every year I think about not sending these people a card, but at the last minute I send one. Doing this feels like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I can now concentrate on making and sending cards to the people I enjoy sending them too.

Why is it the smallest things can cause the most stress?