Week Five - House Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Okay, now this room was cleaned ceilings to floors about a month ago. Of course I now have alot of boxes from the store room cluttering the guest room. I set them in there to go through each box.............then life got in the way of me finishing. I need to get this cleaned up in a major way since I will have family members living here for a while.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Now isn't that nice? It's the room I'll be working on today... we are having guests this weekend and since this room is my office- guest-craft room I need to clean up and clear out spaces. My gift closet is also in there an I need to inventory it too.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I don't have a guest area to worry about, so I am going to give some extra attention to Christmas cards this week.

Every year I fall behind and I don't want that to happen again.

I make my own cards, so will get started on that and have them ready for when I need them.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great job Mel!

Finished inventory of gift closet. got lots of gift-buying left to do!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
So I, uh, am using the guest-room as my launch-pad for my house decor. I have frames all over the bed being matched to art. Can I just shut the door? :) Sigh. Okay. This and my holiday photo are my big goals for the week. And deciding on our cabinet paint color and woodstove backsplash.

Pull the guest room together. Declutter.
Remove or hang at least 1/3 the art frames.
Schedule houseguest stays.
Status Check! Adjust goals if needed.
Begin planning holiday decorating.
Inventory holiday decorations. Check notes from last year.
Declutter before you decorate for autumn.
Halloween decor up.
Complete second 1/5 - writing, signing and addressing cards by November 15.
Plant a tree by front door before first frost. Get last 5 shrubs in ground.

Catch-up:
1. Take photo. Order, buy or print Christmas cards. Start letter. Complete first 1/5. (Need photo. I'm behind.)
2. Hang Curtain-samples in Living Room (20 min) - I hated what I got last week.
4. Finish uploading calendar program and new software.
5. Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. (15 min)

Pass me the coffee, Salmon Oil and Vitamin B!!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
This is an important week for me...we tend to have lots of houseguests year round, but especially during the holidays when we host both sides of the family (separately). Since we changed the boys' beds, we've gained some extra sleep space...a queen in one room and a twin with pull out trundle in the other. We also have a dedicated guest room with a queen bed and 3 aerobeds in storage. My problem is closet space for guests. The closet in the actual guestroom is actually my desk...fitted with shelves, a chair, desktop, etc. This is not a walk-in closet or even a large one, but it works for me (better than sharing a desk with DH in the office - ugh!) I can't really get rid of it. The question is, do I just tell guests to put their clothes in the boys' closets - is that too awkward when they're in another room? I need to give this some more thought.

Our house has officially been "spookified". DS7 says we're not done yet, but believe me, we are. All of the downstairs rooms are decorated, including the kitchen (which retained its prior years' bat theme), The TV room is crows, the dining room is skeletons and the living room is spiders. Of course there's a scattering of mish mash throughout, but those are the basic themes. Upstairs, the boys' bedding is halloween themed and they each have a resin pumpkin (with "carved" bugs) on their dressers. Ds7 is going to be a ninja, DS3 is going to be adragon (Awesome costume from Old Navy...$17!) I am going to be Tippi Hedron (from The Birds).

That's all so far.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Colleen usually the guest can keep their clothes in the bags (unless they spend more than a week at your house).

Tippi Hedren?? a girl after my own heart! that's what I'd like, just can't find what I need... one of these Halloween's I'll do it.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am behind in making my Christmas cards. Being sick and having lots of appointments last week after work took all my time and energy.

I will get back on track this week - hopefully. :D

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Here's from last week!

DONE
Schedule houseguest stays. DONE. Flights booked.
Status Check! Adjust goals if needed. DONE. Adjusting.
Begin planning holiday decorating. - DONE. (Pretty much just one change.)
Inventory holiday decorations. Check notes from last year. -- DONE.
Declutter before you decorate for autumn. DONE.
Halloween decor up. DONE.
Finish uploading calendar program -- DONE. (thank goodness)
More paint swatches up in kitchen. DONE. (And still driving me crazy).

Need to Catch-up:
1. Take photo. Order, buy or print Christmas cards. Start letter. Complete first 2/5. (Need photo. I'm behind.)
2. Hang Curtain-samples in Living Room (20 min) - I hated what I got last week.
3. Pull the guest room together.
4. Remove or hang at least 1/3 the art frames.
5. Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. (15 min)
6. Plant a tree by front door before first frost. Get last 5 shrubs in ground.

My notes from last year were a real eye-opener. Amazing how I always forget it all! They reminded me that DH was the one that packed up the ornaments last year as I had to fly out of town unexpectedly. Uh oh. Wonder what I will find. (And how could I have forgotten that?) But my notes also had my replacement items list. Whew!