week four 9/18 Master Bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
http://christmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-grand-plan/master-bedroom-week

Deep Cleaning/Organizing Area: Master Bedroom
•Master Bedroom and Master Bedroom Closets
•Master Bedroom cleaning checklist form
Holiday Prep:
•Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
•Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
•Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
•Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes
•Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
•Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
•Make list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
how is everyone coming along? How was last week? What do you have in mind for this week?

I am ok w/ the laundry room. It still needs some work though. This week I need to get stuff out of the bedroom into the attic.

I am "double book" w/ somthing in the morning and work at night 3 days this week plus something also one other morning so I am setting my goals low. I want to work on some of my halloween cards and see if I can work out the details of my Christmas card. I don't have extra stuff to cook ahead for the week.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I follow FlyLady, and this week is her Zone 4, which is the master bedroom, bathroom, closet, etc. How convenient since it matches with HGP this time! :) I'll take a look at the HGP info for cleaning the master bedroom and see if there is anything special I can add to my usual routine.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree about it being nice to coincide with Flylady this week. Gives a little extra time to spend in the bedroom (oops, ok think what you'd like here with that statement).

I was reading about the make 'one batch of Holiday Goodies'. Heck I would eat them before they'd get to the freezer. Better make two batches.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Week Four - Master Bedroom week. Is this HGP going faster than ever.... or is it me?

Thanks to our 201 Decluttering Club.... the Master Bedroom is NOT as bad as it was in past years. Nothing really big remains to be done in that room. My goal of spending one hour per week on the HGP.... will give me time to do a few "special touch-ups".

And... more Christmas Prep would be nice to do!

Last edited:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
oh my it is going fast!! I am still on the porches - the never ending removal of paint ugh.

I will do a big organization of the mb this week. I have 'dumped' boxes and boxes of stuff into this room, including my work stuff - compture/ printer and prep

I am going to do the biggest darn happy dance when this renovation is complete :turkey2:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So far I've cleaned out most of my dresser. I have some items in a bag to go to Goodwill and other items with good fabric but that I just don't wear for one reason or another have been moved to a tote I'll pull from for various crafty/sewing projects.

I even labeled the tote! :)

DH went through most of his dresser and we have stored off season items in labeled totes as needed. We went through our closet as well and did the same.

DH's side is sorted together by like item, T-shirts together, dress shirts together, etc. but my side still needs that part done.

I am going to try and push through on the rest of the closet stuff tonight. Shoe storage, meds, misc. items - some of it is labeled, some is not - some things may have better homes waiting elsewhere. Just need to jump in there.

I've already switched to clean winter bedding - it got COLD around here early! Summer spread is waiting in the laundry to be washed and stored.

Towards the end of the week I'll do the actual cleaning tasks - dusting, window sills, vacuuming under the bed, etc.

For now I'm focusing on getting any clutter out of the way so I can clean quickly!!!

Oh - and DS has learned to pull himself up onto my end table and then onto the bed. He first would do this by pulling himself up by holding onto my lamp - which would not hold his weight and so it would fall off.

So I moved the lamp.

Then he just learned to squirm up there. It is a low end table.

He was so proud as a result of this achievement that instead of moving onto the bed as usual - and finding himself with a perfectly clear end table surface free of any impediment - like say a LAMP - proceeded to start dancing a little jig in a circle.

Adorable - but not exactly safe. {sigh} I can't win! :)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Cute story, Aunt Jamelle.

I'm behind. We too are still working on the front porch. We only have a few more things to do out there but I lost motivation once the boys came back right before school started. I just wanted to spend time with them.

Plus, EVERY year I set my goals too high. Do I REALLY think I can paint an entire room AND do all the detailed cleaning and decluttering in one week. Nope, has not happened yet but again, it's on my list. I think I'll work on finishing up the foyer and living room this week. Late night meetings are killing my evening cleaning but I must continue on!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm still working on the livingroom. Barely did anything in there. I did however, finally got the bags of clothes that were sitting in there taken to the Salvation Army. I will use this week to finish up the livining room as my master bedroom and bathroom are good to go.

I was kind of pushed to work in the bedroom because I had a bags of clothes and linens to wash and I had to put them away once everything was washed.

AuntJamelle, cute story about your little man.

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
glad to see others are behind, too. I'm new here, but I fell behind already, had a leak in the MB that we had to get fixed first. way too much clutter in there...makes me tired just thinking about all the time it'd take to go thru and toss/put away/etc in order to really clean. Maybe that'll wait.
I'll go back downstairs and work in the living room yet.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Just to be honest...I may be working onthis weeks tasks but by no means have I completed my whole list each week! I've hit the high notes...focusing on what I can do, what has the bigggest impact, etc. This week will see uncompleted things too I am sure!

And I've done almost NO holiday prep so far! :(

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do not see anyone as being behind. Just thinking about what you have to do puts you way ahead of those who can't even thought about the approching holiday season. Just do what you can when you can jump back in.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Those are the encouraging words I needed to hear! I didn't start when I should have, even though I had the best of intentions. I am re-starting this week because I want to be scratching things off my lists with everyone else! I want to get all of my closets, drawers, etc. in the house cleaned out and have a good start on that. Last week end I emptied out my closet and went through all of my clothes. My husband painted it and it looks so nice! That is a huge job done. Yesterday I cleaned out the Master Bath Vanity and another cabinet. I need to get more Christmas prep underway!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Just starting this week today! Yikes. But it shouldn't be to bad. I hope. :)

I need to go into the attic and pull out my winter clothes, and put away the summer ones, it just started getting rather chilly in the house as well as outside now. Need those warm sweaters.

Keep up the good work everyone, I agree with you Ahorsesoul, anything done is better than those who haven't even begun to think about it. :)

Have a great day all!

~ Farmerswife

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I just started on the bedroom cleaning this week today, too. Thankfully, there wasn't much clutter, so I got all that squared away within about 15 minutes.

Today, I...
- washed (with bleach) and dried our mattress pad and pillows,
- put fresh sheets on the bed,
- dusted all of our bedroom furniture from top to bottom with orange oil,
- vacuumed the carpet,
- washed the mirrors and inside of the bedroom window, and
- dusted the chair rail and above the doors and the window.

I also washed, dried, and put away several loads of laundry. Woo hoo!

The dresser drawers are still looking awesome because I did them back in August and they have stayed neat since then. I sorted our closet in August as well, so I'm marking that one as "done." I haven't put our electric blanket back on the bed yet. I'll do that in October or November when it starts getting extra-cold in the house at night. For now, just keeping windows shut is doing the trick on the colder nights.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I got a bonus today....of time! A water main broke, so they dismissed school at 10:00 this morning giving me all day to clean. Dmom was at my house when I got home and she was washing clothes for me...she used to do this some, but it has been almost a year since she has done it! She straightened up DH's clothes in his chest of drawers while I worked on other things.

I agree with Ahorsesoul, anything we do is more than so many others have accomplished. I feel good being able to do anything I get done. I still have more that needs doing, and always will have if I am honest with myself.

And also as AuntJamelle said, I am going to hit the high points and do the things that have the most impact. I don't have time to clean out every drawer, closet, and cubby hole. And I certainly don't have the funds to re-do/replace everything that needs done. It's better for me to be realistic than to spend my time being disappointed at what I can't get done.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Way to go CheeryChick (Love your name :) )

Thank you! :)

missjane said:
It's better for me to be realistic than to spend my time being disappointed at what I can't get done.

That's such a good philosophy. I'll keep your words in mind this season. :)

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Again this week I was feeling so behind. Then my DH suggsted we move the furniture around in the MB!!! OH Yes!!! LOL That put me back on schedule!!!

So we went though the MB yesterday and did a thorough cleaning. We rearranged it all, cleaning under the big furniture. Many thanks to my DH who did most of it. Today I will polish all of it and I will consider it complete. I dont have the time to do a declutter of the dressers nor the master closet but they aren't too bad.

I haven't done much on the Holiday prep part but I usually jump in on the CC when it starts. Actually I just realized I need to start the CC early because we are having Christmas at Thanksgiving; while we have all 4 DK and their families here at one time.

I need to hose off my front porch again and I never did get to the outside of the window there so my plan is to do that today also. Then I can start on this next week with everything on schedule. :) ......skipping a few items like my closet is ok with me ;-)

My house was never this nice before I found Organized Home!