Week Four - Close To Home Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This week looks doable. And hopefully I can catch up on last week's list too. I tackled the kid's rooms in August so I have a jump on things there. Still need to paint DD's bookcase which I have stalled on because last time I painted a shelf it took forever for the paint to harden and we had books everywhere for weeks. This time: different paint.

Will do CEO's Spruce up plan (keeping 80-20 rule in mind) -but I really expect to have my living room and kitchen a wreck in October when we are working on the fireplace. Using the last of the warm summer days to finish the outdoor projects. But she is right -- no more can be added to the list. My Flylady cleaning schedule should keep the house looking reasonably decent if I can just control the chaos in the main room. Deep breaths....Deep breaths.....

This Week's List:
Kids rooms - paint DD's bookcase.
Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise - Our fireplace re-do will throw a monkey-wrench in this plan.
Declutter children's toys.
Begin collecting stocking stuffers.
Have kids decide on Halloween costumes.
Ponder Advent celebrations. Order any day-by-day materials or Advent calendars now.
Start Christmas cards & letter. Complete 1/5 of cards this week. (But I don't have them yet?)

Catch-up:
1. Pick up paint samples for Kitchen Cabinets - (Can do when getting DD's shelf paint)
2. Hang Curtain-samples in Living Room (20 min)
3. Discuss "Gifts to Make" list with kids.
4. Finish uploading calendar program and new software. (It arrived in mail yesterday)
5. Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. (15 min)
6. Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters. - This is a problem area for me.
7. Add "Me Days" to December's calendar.

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I should be able to finish the boys' rooms this week since my mom is here and is helping! We already switched out the beds (changed DS3's toddler bed for a twin and DS7's twin to a queen - better for when we have guests - which is often). We emptied both closets yesterday and I installed cubby systems for both boys. I still need to label the square bins that go into each cubby. I also put up day of the week hanging organizers in both closets for their clothes (we generally look at the weather forecast on Sunday night and pick outfits then for the school week).

I am in the process of sorting through the boys' books and DVDs and have a few file boxes full and ready for GoodWill. If anyone has a good solution for LEGOs storage - please share!!!

The best part is that instead of lots of junk, my mom & dad decided to buy DS7 a chair (one of those round cushion things) for his room and got DS3 a trundle for his bed as their Christmas presents! They should both be delivered on Thursday! that makes me very happy and DS7 really likes the older look to his room. Now if I can just convince DH to paint over the sailboat mural when he gets back from China...

I have not completed the Home Spruce Up exercise yet...I'm a little afraid - even with the 80-20 rule in effect!

Keep up the good work everyone and please keep us posted on your progress - I find it so inspiring!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Colleen, ds's legos are in a 3-drawer plastic cabinet on wheels.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I was behind for this week, but was able to get caught up.

The kids did a deep clean and declutter of their rooms. Actually, DD has been doing this for several weeks now. I think all the "stuff" was getting to her.

Now, they just need to do their weekly cleaning and keep things tidy and organized.

Home Spruce-Up list has been made. I have 4 tasks that need to be done - all are outside.

The appointment for the kids yearly pictures has been scheduled for this weekend - always happy to get this done and over with. DS always fights about what he is going to wear.

I have a few ideas for stocking stuffers - just need to write them down.

On to next week!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The house is darn near immaculate right now. Nothing like having people over to get a final push on things. Got all those tiny things that have been bugging me done in less than 2 hours. It'll be wrecked by tomorrow at the rate the kids are dumping their school stuff though! ;-) Caught up on things this past week and am continuing to plug through my problem areas. Still have a few major projects that I'm trying to wrestle -- kitchen cabinets, fireplace etc. Will do the minimum we can to get it done and shut it all down before the holidays. The most time consuming part of it is the decision-making. Banging my head against the wall trying to decide what I want to do. DH is on standby with the hammer whenever I say go.

This Week's List:
Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise - DONE. But we'll have things that HAVE to get done.
Declutter children's toys - DONE.
Begin collecting stocking stuffers. -- STARTED. FOUND KEY TO GIFT CLOSET BOX TOO.
Have kids decide on Halloween costumes. -- DONE. (Unless DS changes his mind.)
Ponder Advent celebrations. DONE.
Pick up paint samples for Kitchen Cabinets & DD's shelf paint - DONE. Twice.
Discuss "Gifts to Make" list with kids. DONE. (Baked treats is in the lead.)

Catch-up:
1. Take photo. Order, buy or print Christmas cards. Start letter. Complete 1/5 this week. (Need photo. I'm behind.)
2. Hang Curtain-samples in Living Room (20 min)
4. Finish uploading calendar program and new software. (It arrived in mail yesterday)
5. Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. (15 min)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Lucie,

Stocking stuffer ideas:

for DD: chapstick, nail polish, toothbrush, deodorant, bookmark, magazine, art pencils and other small supplies, notebooks, her favorite candy or treats

for DS: body wash, toothbrush, deodorant, belt buckle (he has started a collection), socks, magazine, his favorite candy or treats

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Mel! always on the lookout for ideas for stocking stuffers.

So far they are both getting: tootbrush, deodorant, socks, underwear, $20, 1 lottery ticket, chocolate, dry sausages, christmas ornament (won't fit in the stocking so will be tied to it).

For dd: 1 zipper clip that has a led light, mini-colander (hope it fits in the stocking),
For ds: razor travel box,

... more to come

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The goodies you have sound great.

Good job, Lucie!!