Week Six - Wardrobe

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My list for the week:

- make list of needed clothing items for kids and myself
- start shopping for needed items
- organize sewing basket
- organize laundry room area/items
- get Christmas gift ideas lists from kids - say that 5 times fast!!
- work on Christmas cards

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My closets have been done a few weeks ago as well as entry closets so we are in good shape. I will not be shopping for new clothes for Christmas... I have enough to get me by.

Have to work on my christmas gift list once more.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Last week was unexpectedly CrAzY. Hoping this week is calmer.

Goals this week:

• Temps. dropped and it's time to move out the summer and bring in the fall/winter clothes.
  • Straighten the laundry area
  • Work on wardrobe list for family
  • Begin working on Christmas list
  • Christmas cards

Hope you have a productive week!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Thankful that I did this a few weeks ago, so this will be a freebie week. I will be catching up on a few details from previous weeks. Enjoy, everyone!
~Farmerswife

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have a few things to get through this week.
The wardrobes and clothing items are done.

Both DS and I are fine for clothes. DS will need some new shoes though but will save that for a few weeks when the weather really warms up. Also with his activities of school, swim and sports he does not really get the opportunity to wear many shoes and I don't want him to grow out of them before Dec- every time I look at him lately he seems to be bigger.

We could both do with a new Christmas T-Shirt- but too early to find yet. I would like to get some Christmas PJ's for him but I am not hopeful- they only seem to stock them in girls sizes here. They must think that boys don't like them. I have looked at online ordering but everything is in a winter style- no good for us with temperatures usually about 100.

I do need to buy cards. I have decided on what I want and will get them this week. Also ribbon to trim gifts with. I also need to choose a Santa wrap for both DS and myself- Santa in this house wraps all gifts in the same paper for the same person. I have laybyes to pick up and gifts to sort/ store and possibly wrap.

The laundry is fine- it also our utility room with lots of storage- I just need to round up a few things that belong there but for some reason have found their way to other parts of the house.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh I am SO excited this week is here! I need new clothes SO bad after losing weight last year. The kids got all the money over the last few months for new school clothes. Everyone is pretty set except me. And I threw out some major winter items at the end of last winter to force myself to replace them this year instead of just settling on the old stuff.

The other big thing I want to address, is any remaining "shlumpadinka'ness" in my everyday wardrobe (remember Shlumpadinka was the word from that Oprah Show that we talked about last year:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shlumpadinka

I'm in a small town, so I can't go ANYWHERE without running in to people I know. I tend to dress casually but have to be careful that I don't cross the line between casual and slob. As DD is now in high school, I'm more and more aware of this as I'm kind of one of her accessories. ;)

Right now I'm mustering the nerve to get rid of my go-to jackets and sweatshirts and items I just toss on and exchange those items for ones that have just a smidge more style -- which I'm also working on defining, instead of being the generic mom I became when my kid were younger. Geesh - -what happened to my style? My daughter won't shop without me, because I can make her look awesome on a tight budget but I don't take the trouble to do the same for myself. What happened??

Okay. I can do this.

Wardrobe & Closets Week (10/6/6/2014)

Declutter clothing and coat closets.
Take ME Shopping for some stylish new clothes.
Family Wardrobe Check. Put any "To Buy" items on your shopping list.
Plan photo wardrobes.
Begin individual clothing "gift suggestion" lists for each family member.
Begin shopping catalogs or the Internet. Do now to spread financial burden.
Christmas card list -- Complete Section 3 this week. Goal: to be all done with cards by November 15.
Right. I'm nowhere with printing Christmas cards -but I have the list!.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I went through all the closets and talked to the kids about their wardrobes.

DS says he is fine and doesn't need anything - yippee.

DD needs slippers and jeans. She is having trouble finding jeans as she is a plus size and in between sizes. We decided to check out Wal Mart earlier today and she found a pair. She isn't super thrilled with them, but for $20 she said they will do and she will keep looking.

I need slippers, runners, boots, a winter coat and socks. I did great at Wal Mart - I found socks, slippers, boots and runners. I felt like Imelda Marcos walking out of the store with all that footwear!!

I will keep looking for a winter coat.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Not Going to Panic

DD got the confirmation letter from her surgeon that her surgery will be December 11th - two weeks before Christmas!!

I have to have everything done and ready for Christmas by Saturday, December 6th, so my focus after that can be completely on DD.

I have been looking over the plan and I can do it!!

I have to stay focused and not fall behind from now until then.

Thank goodness for the HHP plan.

I can do it!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cindylouwho I understand the shlumpadinka... have that problem too.

Go Mel go!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I always look forward to winter, because I have a nice winter wardrobe, but I'm always limited in the summer time. I also store all my winter clothes, so I need to get them and put them back in my closet. Before I would put them in a box and have to unfold and rehang, but last year I left them all on the hanger, so I'll just have to unwrap them, grab any strays and just hang them up. I think I bought a few things on clearance last year that I intended to wear during the holidays, so I"m excited to see and just rethink what I'll need. I did toss a ton of shoes, so I know for a sure, I have to buy some shoes.

cindylouwho..I know exactly what you are talking about as far as the clothes and style. I've been up and down over the years and I'm a firm believer in tossing the old clothes out as you go, so there is no looking back. Embrace that style you've been wanting too, it makes such a huge difference starting new. On a joking note..I tell my daughter she's lucky I'm fat, because I'm such a clothes hog, if I was thin and could just buy whatever I want, she wouldn't get all the good stuff I buy her.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I got the laundry room organized - not too messy. All supplies are well stocked - I did notice that I am getting low on laundry soap, so I will make a batch tomorrow.

I also went through my sewing basket - I noticed there were a lot of bent sewing needles, so I will pick up a new pack the next time I am at the dollar store.

How is everyone doing so far this week?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
MinnieCo -- So glad you said that about the boxed clothes. Forgot about my box that I put my winter clothing in last Spring. This is the first time I actually did so. When I read your post I brought down the box, unloaded it onto my hangers then looked at the empty box. Then I started pulling out all the Summer stuff and putting it in the box. My closet looks so much better!

Re new clothes for me: Got myself out the door early yesterday and hit the stores. I found most of the clothes so...boring and generic. But then I hit DD's favorite Consignment Store and came home with some real finds. DD was proud of me and said I would be sharing those items. Then I spent top dollar on a couple pairs of boots. Ouch.

Today I checked my "shopping" email -- the one I use to subscribe to store coupons and made sure I was getting the promo codes for all the stores that will have big sales this weekend (and during the holidays).

My biggest find so far this week is this fashion website: http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/
I stumbled across it while looking for clothing brand reviews. It is AWESOME. It is a subgroup of Reddit. Didn't know they had subgroups -- but then I'm not a regular on Reddit. Take a look at the side bar along the right and see all the clothing tips they have going on. Will be perusing that site over the weekend. I recall from a year or two back that someone in our group was part of a fashion group that worked on matching up clothing outfits. Went digging for it in the threads but didn't find it. Who was that?

And.. my closet is spotless. (DD's is a wreck.)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Mel you can do it. Having a plan is half the battle. Just look at what's on the list now, make any adjusments now and you keep on going!

Cindylouwho... Good job. I haven't made it to the shed yet, but I plan on doing that Saturday.

I've not been home the last two days, I"m doing some extra work after my regular job, so it's kept me away, BUT I did spent some time today searching for shoes online. I need to get my winter shoes in order. Just a nice casual pair I can wear with my jeans to dress things up a bit. I want to go with something leather, so I'm really trying to find what I want since I"ll be spending a bit more then usual. I have wide feet, so it's a HUNT in a half. I wish I could just go a shoe store and vala, but it doesn't work that way for me. Sigghhhhh But I think I've narrowed it down, so that's good. I hope to have all the sites searched by Saturday and get them ordered this weekend.

I found an awesome gift while I was at it for my daughter, so that's good. She's going to love it. It's a Betsey Johnson American Flag Purse. She's all about flags and being patriotic, so the fact that it's from her favorite designer, Americana and has a bow, (which is her signature "look") it couldn't get any better. Oh..except it's on sale!! Now that makes it even better. LOL

Okay..I need to go read the week check list again, so I best get going.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I found an awesome gift while I was at it for my daughter, so that's good. She's going to love it. It's a Betsey Johnson American Flag Purse. She's all about flags and being patriotic, so the fact that it's from her favorite designer, Americana and has a bow, (which is her signature "look") it couldn't get any better. Oh..except it's on sale!! Now that makes it even better. LOL

The purse sounds great. I am sure your daughter is going to love it!!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I have been swamped with my time lately. Two state fairs and school is getting me down.
Wardrobe is great except I really need a pair of boots to wear with skirts. Will get those.
Need to clean closet in laundry room.
Store some items that are in there.
That will do it for me.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hi, guys. I've been playing hookey on posting for the past few weeks but I've been reading and silently cheering you on. I've been working on the rooms and tasks and feel like we're on track around here. Our wardrobes are in good shape. Most cool weather things are still put up because it still gets in the 90's here. And I'm losing weight finally so I have all the cute stuff from two winters ago to wear again. Yay!

Michelle, that handbag sounds perfect! What a score!

Cindy, I'm going to have to check out that site.

HAGD

Chris

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm so behind on everything. All my presents are purchased at least, so I have time to catch up on the other stuff.

Found a cute Christmas dress for DD1 on Walmart.ca for $1! Bought Christmas tees 1/2 price for DD3, but they are like dresses on her. She's at an awkward stage....too big for size 4 and too small for size 5/6.

I bought holiday dresses for both of them for $3 each by buying last year's dresses online.....were $18 each. They should do for our Christmas card picture.

I did give in and buy a full price dress for DD1.....Figure it was the last time I'd ever get to buy a ridiculously poofy Christmas dress with little bloomers and all. Still was only $15....not too bad.

I need to get a dress for DH's Christmas party though. I've been wearing the same one I bought when I was 18, and it's starting to look pretty sad.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Gifts that I ordered were delivered this week. I need to pack them away until the next wrapping party.

I still need to work on Christmas cards this afternoon.