What are you getting your kids for V-Day?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I grew up getting those little Stouffers Valentine's Day boxes from each parent. They had like 4-5 candies each. I was thrilled. Nowadays ALL the candy companies have their own V-Day hearts but they are all much BIGGER than the tiny hearts that I got and my kids both still have candy leftover from Christmas. They don't need more! And they don't need more stuffed animals either. What do you get your kids?

And here I saved the red and green kisses from Christmas (for VDay and St. Patties) and that sneaky little Sherlock DD8 found them! Rats! :love:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I got DS2 and DS6 a couple matchbox cars and DD8 a cute diary/journal. I hate all the candy too, but did get DS11 a big bag of redhots because he really likes them and I didn't know what else to get him that didn't cost more than a few dollars.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I made heart shaped sugar cookies but they found them and ate them all.(even w/o the icing!) Back to square one-but I'm not spending money so -maybe I'll print them out some coloring pages and organize their 'fun tub'(coloring supplies) any other ideas for no spend Valentines? :lovestruck:

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
I created a scavenger hunt on heart shaped paper cut outs. The three kids will have to follow the clues to the end :jumpinghearts: . The last heart will tell them that we are going out to the local children's museum Feb. 13th (we are doing the hunt tomorrow) and will pick up pizza for dinner on the way home. I liked the idea of doing something rather than buying more stuff. The museum is also having a family night with $2 admission. On Valentine's Day they will get small heart shaped boxes of chocolate candy. The boys will get fleece hats & scarves I made for their Webkinz dogs. DD is getting the doll quilt I started for her 1 1/2 years ago. I do NOT sew & the poor thing is terribly crooked, but it was completely handstitched with love....she is 10 so I hope she will be appreciative. Again, not a lot of money spent, but I did invest my time & heart in projects for them bunnylove . We will eat a spaghetti dinner at home V. Day. It's the one meal everyone will eat. DS4 and I will make a chocolate peppermint pie with candy cane hearts on top for dessert :love: .

Bren "heartstrings:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Our kids each have a heart shaped Valentine's Day basket. This year I am filling ds's with a nascar heart filled with peanut butter, a valentine, a Barnes and Noble gift card for 5 dollars, a small chocolate heart, a paddle ball game (dollar tree) and a v-day pencil and eraser.

DD will have 2 books (Princesses and Clifford), a valentine,a princess heart with candies, a chocolate heart, a paddle ball game, a heart necklace and a red shirt with hearts and princess on it.

For dinner, we'll have Chicken Cutlets in Cream Sauce over linguine, salad, rolls and heart shaped brownies with caramel sauce topped with vanilla ice cream.

:jumpinghearts:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My little boys are going to be allowed to choose a $5 book each from the school book fair, which is coincidentially going on this week. Tomorrow is "Muffins with Moms" day, allowing Moms and kids to shop together before school, so I'll let them pick out what they want, then I'll sneak in after they go to class and buy them, wrap them in red paper and give them to them Valentine's night. I'll be playing Bunco that night, but I'm also making spaghetti for the boys and meatloaf (heart shaped, of course!) for DH. DS15 will get a $5 gift card to the local bookstore where he hangs out...DH-not sure yet. He bought me a ring! "heartstrings: And, as a bonus, it's from the line of jewelry that I sell, so I'll get a commission on it! Gotta love that!! :love:

johnasmom

Retire Member
Dec 18, 2007
Central Michigan
My kids will be getting new Webkinz for V-day. I found them on sale and that is what they're into right now. For supper we are going to do a fondue night. This is the first time the kids are going to have fondue. My DH and I think they'll have fun just making it. I can't wait! I love fondue and it'll be fun watching the kids too! :jumpinghearts:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Yay! Got the books this morning! A Thomas the Tank Engine book for Benjie and Courious George for Jonah! Now off to the bookstore to get Jacob's gift card, then to the Sonic to get DH one! I'll be done!!

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Oh my! Am I the only one who doesn't really get my Dear Children anything for Valentine's Day? (feeling like a bad Mom now). We're going to make and decorate heart-shaped sugar cookies, but I didn't plan on doing anything else.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I usually don't do too much either ...

but this board is always inspiring! So, DH and I went to a dinner all alone last night (no rush on Thursday night). That was nice! DD is old enough to babysit DS! Amen! So, on Thursday, after reading these posts ... we will have spaghetti and fondue chocolate or the brownie! YUM!!

I did have DS4 make cards! He enjoyed that. Then when daddy got home he says, "Daddy don't look ontop of the book shelf to see anything. It's a surprise!" He just can't keep a secret!

Thanks everyone.

bunnylove

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
jmgconner said:
Oh my! Am I the only one who doesn't really get my Dear Children anything for Valentine's Day? (feeling like a bad Mom now). We're going to make and decorate heart-shaped sugar cookies, but I didn't plan on doing anything else.

You sound like a great mom :love: ! I think making cookies with your children is a wonderful idea. You will be giving them something much more meaningful than a store bought gift...you will be giving them the gift of you, your time and you will be creating memories :jumpinghearts: . I am slowly learning to give less stuff & more ME :lovestruck: . Hope you & your family enjoy a Happy Valentine's Day :grouphug: .

Bren :flower:

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Bren said:
jmgconner said:

You sound like a great mom :love: ! I think making cookies with your children is a wonderful idea. You will be giving them something much more meaningful than a store bought gift...you will be giving them the gift of you, your time and you will be creating memories :jumpinghearts: . I am slowly learning to give less stuff & more ME :lovestruck: . Hope you & your family enjoy a Happy Valentine's Day :grouphug: .

Bren :flower:

Bren, you just made my day! Thank you for helping me see past the materialism. God bless you!

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
We got our DD a Princess Chocolate Bar and a stuff horse in a jean purse with pink trim- the horse was going to be for Christmas but we forgot to put it out so we thought Pink for Vday-