What constitutes a Christmas song?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

gameshowguy2000

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Garland, TX
www.myspace.com
I ask this because my sister and I constantly argue over this topic. She says that there are more songs about Jesus' birth than about snow, snowmen, reindeer, and Santa. I tell her it's the other way around because those 4 things are the first things we think of when someone mentions the word "Christmas".

What do you guys think constitutes a Christmas song? Does it have to be about Jesus' birth or can it be about the Big 4 (snow, snowmen, reindeer, and Santa)?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Wow, I really have never thought about 'what' makes it a Christmas song!

I agree that not all songs in regards to Jesus is purely a Christmas song for me, but that said the first thing I think of when I think Christmas are all the "O" songs (O Holy Night, O Come all Ye Faithful, O Come O Come Emmanuel...)

I think what makes a song Christmas is really an individual thing?
I dislike anything Christmas about shoes, teeth or what bubba gives lol

Yes, it may be about Christmas - but not mine ;)

gameshowguy2000

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Garland, TX
www.myspace.com
Right, but when I mention songs like Jingle Bells, Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland, and so on, she'll be like, "Those aren't Christmas songs! Those are winter songs!"

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
When I listen to Christmas music, it includes both secular and traditional religious Christmas songs. IMO, they are all Christmas songs. Chances are, you'll never get your sister to see it your way. This may be one of those subjects you have to agree to diagree upon! lol

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Yep! I agree with MissJane, it will probably something that you will have to agree to disagree.

I for one do consider them all Christmas songs, but could understand why some one would consider some of them just winter songs. :)

~ Farmerswife

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Oh I see, I would disagree too! :)
I think those count as Christmas songs

Sisters - nothing I could ever say would convince mine I was right if she made up her mind otherwise. May have to just chalk it up to 'the things we should not discuss' list :) Best of luck!

gameshowguy2000

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Garland, TX
www.myspace.com
So we can only call it a "Carol" if it has to do with Jesus' birth, so to speak?

I mean, there are a lot of Christmas Carols books that have a combo of both Nativity songs (I'll use that term from now on) to "Big 4" (Santa/Reindeer/Snowmen/Snow) songs. Would a book title like that be misleading?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I think any song that celebrates Christmas as a 'carol'.
I usually skip most songs with reindeer, snowmen etc... on my playlist

But I do love winter wonderland, marshmallow world, let it snow, silver bells or carol of the bells... I guess to each his own. :)

You may have to just agree to disagree

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think any song that a person plays at Christmas could be a Christmas song. The subject or lyrics do not have to be about Christ, winter, santa. It could be a song you remember your grandmother singing when she made Christmas cookies.

catnipper

Retire Member
Jul 25, 2008
Thank you all for your help. I was asked to collect Christmas "carols" so our church group could all be "on the same page of music" when caroling at the retirement homes.
My list is including some religious and secular (1/2 and 1/2) tunes that are somewhat familiar and the residents can sing along with us. After reading this thread I know I've got the right balance!

gameshowguy2000

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Garland, TX
www.myspace.com
I figured it out--some of the newer songs like "Mary Did You Know" and "Who Would Imagine a King?" (my signature) are the religious type, and Britney Spears' "My Only Wish This Year" and N*SYNC's "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" (with two greetings instead of one) are the secular type.