What do you cook when it is so hot?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
All~

The weather is broiling out here! The thought of cooking something on the stove top, in the oven, even over the grill seems completly unappealing.

So, I'm doing stuff like eating cereal for dinner which isn't all that satisfying.

What kind of meals do you put together when it's so blasting hot?!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Annie - I will make a big batch of whole wheat pasts over the weekend and store it in portion sizes. For dinner if I want warm pasta, I run it underneath some hot water. I ofen top the pasta with a bit of pesto or fresh tomatoes, basil and cut up mozzarella.

I also eat a lot of salads and I, again over the weekend, will bake some chicken tenders and put them in the fridge and add them to salads through the week.

I also add the chicken to the pasta that has been run under warm water (sometimes I heat the chicken up for a few seconds in the microwave) and I grate some fresh parm cheese and add some fresh herbs.

And, my favorite, buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I tend to do alot on the grill so as not to heat the house up too much. I also make jello salads the night before and add fresh or canned fruit and this makes an easy addition to meals.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I try to eat salads when it's hot. Sometimes I'll add chicken if I feel like I should be eating meat. Subs are also good when its hot. Sometimes I'll even just have veggies with dip and some kind of bread or biscuit.

I never have much of an appetite when it's hot.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I love salads too in the heat. A great thing for not a lot of heat but a warm dish fi wanted and starch, is couscous. Boil the kettle for making some veggie stock (or take from freezer, defrost and heat in microwave). Pour over couscous and allow to absorb - it doesn't need anymore heat that that. Then add your choice of additions - I like roasted meditteranean veggies (which I do a doubl batch of with a roast dinner, and toss into the CC), with some olive oil. Or olives, lemon juice and some coriander. Or more Turkish or Greek kind of flavours can work well too (I am just not great on what those should be - I know apricots tend to feature in all Turkish versions I've seen).

I also love the Caprese that Kim mentions (tomatoes and mozarella).

I sometimes try to cook a roast on a Sunday, and keep cold meat for later in the week with salads. Or sometimes I freeze leftovers to have when the hot weather comes. But we are lucky that it rarely gets too hot and humid at the same time (high humidity tends to come in wintertime here).

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We tend to grill and I also do some slow cooker stuff. I grilled potatoes the other night. They were roasted without the oven. DH loved them. Veggies on the grill are great, as are blanched veggies with dip. I serve chilled salads (pasta and potato varieties). Salads are good too. We do eat dinner later in the summer because if we're cool it's easier to eat.

I really like to eat dinner out on the hottest of days. Eating in a/c comfort and not hanging out over a stove appeals to me. LOL

Blessings~Lisa

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Alot of people think of crock pot cooking for winter, but not so much in the summer. I'm a big fan of using in the summer too!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks for the tips!

The one thing that does sound super appealing is making a huge patch of pasta salad with cold meat- either chicken, salami or peperroni, tons of veggies, and eat of that!

Cool, refreshing, light, perfect!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Alot of people think of crock pot cooking for winter, but not so much in the summer. I'm a big fan of using in the summer too!

Me too! I even take it camping to cook some things while we are on the lake.

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
what we love when its so hot is pasta salad.. just pasta, fresh diced tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, tuna, fresh basil, chicken breasts, boiled eggs, sliced ham..... add anything you like... and then make a dressing with oliveoil and balsamico, add garlic or not, add fresh oregano or thym...
you can prepare it in advance and leave it during the day in the fridge..when you come home, take a shower and have dinner which you don' t need to cook

and we love gazpacho, the Spanish vegetable soup which is served chilled directly out of the freezer, wonderful with cucumber ice

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
teachermomof2- Thanks for the link! That DEFINETLY gave me some ideas!

hollybow- how do you do the cucumber ice? Sounds interesting!

Annie

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Ribs or bbq chicken in the crock pot and home made mac salad made the night before are great on really hot days.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I made this tonight but I substituted scallops for the shrimp (just to have something a little different). And I think you could WAY cut down on the butter and olive oil. AND- I thought it could use a quick shake of some garlic salt. Like all recipes, you have to fit it to your tastes.

But- it was super fast, easy, light- a perfect summer dinner!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/06/summer-stir-fry/

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
teachermomof2- Thanks for the link! That DEFINETLY gave me some ideas!

hollybow- how do you do the cucumber ice? Sounds interesting!

Annie

For the gazpacho

200ml tomato juice
4 large ripe plum or round tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 red peppers, halved, seeded, stalks removed and roughly chopped
Half a small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
Half a cucumber
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1tbsp white wine vinegar
tsp cumin seeds
A good pinch of sweet paprika
1 slice of white bread, crusts removed
40ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

For the cucumber sorbet

100ml olive oil
1tbsp caster sugar
350ml vegetable stock
12 small Greek cucumbers, or 3 normal ones
15g mint leaves
Salt and pepper

No more than a couple of days before you want to eat the soup, make the sorbet. Split the cucumbers lengthways and scrape out the seeds with a spoon, then roughly chop the flesh. Blend the cucumber with the vegetable stock, olive oil, sugar and the mint leaves until it's the consistency you like – chunky or smooth. Season to taste and churn in an ice cream machine. Leave in the freezer until you're ready to eat.

The day before you'll be eating, put all the ingredients for the soup into a bowl, cover with clingfilm; leave in the fridge to help merge the flavours. Liquidise in a blender until smooth and strain through a fine-meshed sieve for a smooth version, or leave as it is for a more robust soup. Chill for an hour.

The soup can be served with hot croutons as well as the cucumber sorbet. Fry 1cm cubes of white bread in olive oil until they begin to colour, then add a clove of peeled and crushed garlic and continue frying until golden. Transfer to kitchen paper and season if required. Serve the gazpacho in chilled soup bowls with a scoop of sorbet in the middle and, if you've made them, the warm croutons scattered on top.

Mackiesmudder

Premiere Member
May 21, 2010
Hackettstown, NJ
I cheat and buy a rotisserie chicken, pre-cooked from the store! Cut off the meat and serve over greens with avacado slices, hard boiled eggs and nice ripe tomato wedges with a little olive oil. No heated kitchen and tastes sooo good.

Cathie:4july:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
hollybow-
Thank you for sharing that recipe. I've always been a little intimidated by Gazpacho but I think you have convinced me to try it! I'm always up for an adventure- especially if it means I can have it in my own house!

mackiesmudder- That salad sounds like a good summer fix!

Annie

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I use my quesadilla maker and my panini press alot in the summer, as well as for quick meals year around. I especially like bbq chicken quesadillas and found alot of good panini recipes on the Williams-Sonoma website http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/search/results.html?recipe=panini. I usually buy a bag of pre-cooked chicken strips from costco to keep on hand to add to different recipes. I also like eating pasta salads in the summer. I have one that has chicken and strawberries, and another with chicken and red grapes that my family really likes. I can post the recipes if you'd like.