What do you cook when it is so hot?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I always enjoy salads esp pasta ones b/c they are so flexible. Also I have a larger toaster oven that I use constantly so if you need to cook hot foods it doesn't heat up the kitchen.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Hollybow...Here are the two recipes:

Strawberry Chicken Pasta Salad

Salad
12 oz uncooked bow tie pasta (farfalle)
3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onions
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries

Dressing
1/2 cup sugar
2 teas finely chopped onion
1/2 teas salt
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teas Dijon mustard
2/3 cup oil
1 tbsp. poppy seed

Cook the pasta as directed on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Drain well.

In large bowl, combine all remaining salad ingredients except strawberries

In blender or food processor, combine sugar, onion, salt, lemon juice and mustard. Cover; blend until well mixed. With machine running, add oil in slow steady stream, blending until dressing is thick and smooth. Add poppy seed, pulse a few times to mix.
NOTE..I've never done this step....I've just put these ingredients in another bowl and mixed by hand (I must have been lazy :) )

Add pasta to salad; stir gently to mix. Add dressing; toss to mix.

Just before serving, gently stir strawberries into salad. Serve immediately so strawberries do not discolor dressing.

I think this salad tastes even better the second day, but the strawberries do discolor the pasta. When I am making this for company, I usually make the salad the night before, smashing a little strawberry into the dressing, then add the strawberries right before serving. The original recipe also calls for Turkey instead of chicken and adding 1 cup of shopped walnuts. But I prefer chicken and no walnuts.

and here is the recipe for the Roasted Chicken and Bow Tie Pasta Salad http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/quick-easy-pasta-recipes-00400000061077/page17.html
Although I have always ommitted the walnuts, celery and chives.