What I really truly would like for Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
What would I really would like for Christmas? Labor. Happy friendly labor to be exact.
My husband works 6 or 7 days a week 10 hours a day with 1 hour each way commute. When my kids ask what I would like for Christmas I tell them I am getting to be an old folk and would love a little labor. I would like to have them paint my bedroom and the kids think I am kidding. I am not. I painted the rest of my house a few years ago and I was stiff as a board. I also went into congestive heart failure soon after. So moving any kind of furniture is out for me.
So for all of you young adults who have that hard to buy for Grandma on your list. Think small on material things, think big on to do and I guarantee you will give the best gift.

So my question for everyone here would be, what would be the best non material gift for you?

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'd love to be invited to a "baking party". Homemade goodies are so Christmasy, but I'm not great at baking. It would be so much fun spending time w/a family member(s) or friend(s). I'd even help w/the clean up & dishes.

An afternoon spent crafting together would be another one since I never have time to craft anymore. Visiting & crafting for a few hours sound like heaven. Of course, if they don't like crafting, I'd be up for a few hours of window shopping, antiquing or having a relaxing lunch.

Just spending time w/loved ones would be a wonderful gift since everyone's so busy.

Excellent topic!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm with appleton... baking together or crafting together... yep that's what I want with my family.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
DH and YDS are clearing the room that ODS/DDIL lived in -- shampooing carpet, cleaning walls, replacing ceiling light fixture and moving furniture so I can reclaim my home office/sewing room before the new year. It's the best present I could have!!

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I would love a deep cleaning of my house - I deep clean my house every sunday to get ready for the week - and keep up with it all week long -- but I would love someone else to wash these floors, vacuum, dust, beds, etc etc etc -- scrub the bathroom --

ellen

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Grandmabucket, it's too bad so many people don't take us seriously when we ask for something and they think we are joking or they don't feel like it's "enough" if it didn't cost money. Wish I were nearer so I could help you.

Sierra mtns, that sounds like a fabulous gift, and I am thankful they were willing to do it for you.

I think I would like a day with my family, just to do nothing except be together. And a day for DH and me to work in the yard all day.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
grandma bucket I'm right there with you I painted the living room and kitchen and the bathroom a couple of years ago and had about 2 years of physical therapy after that. And my bedroom looks awful I would dearly love to have it painted. I have fibromyalgia and my bad days outnumber my good these days.
My younger son just had the outside of my house repaired the eves were all rotted really bad (he's has his own construction business) so he and his guys came out and repaired all of the eves and face boards and the studs under them. They look awesome! I haven't been able to put up my Christmas lights for 2 years, But they are up now! and they look lovely.
Best Birthday present I've had in years And my older son came and hooked up my new sink fixtures so I don't have to turn the hot water on and off under the kitchen sink any more. I felt like I had a new house LOL.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Those are great ideas unfortunately dont work for us. DH's and my grandparents are long gone. My mom lives with us and my dad and his wife have an apartment. In the past as gifts we have given my dad and his wife home made coupons books good for home made chili, lasgana, baked goodies, etc. that only required 24 hours notice in redeeming them but they were never used. DH's parents are alot younger then my parents and both are remarried. One lives out of state and the other has step kids living with them.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Grandma bucket, this is such a great reminder for gift giving. When my MIL was newly divorced, working and had just purchased a house with no landscaping, the yard was covered with weeds. She was completely overwhelmed. One day while she was at work, my husband went over and pulled all the weeds to suprise her. She was so happy. I know I tend to somehow overlook this when thinking of birthday and Christmas gift ideas, but it definitely is the best idea for some on my list.

For me, I would like someone else to take over cooking dinner and washing dishes for at least a few days.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Great post! I am not a crafty person AT ALL, but for years I have been wanting these trees made out of wine corks to put on a small "bar" in our diningroom...well someone dear just made them for me this year!!! I gave her all of the corks we've been hoarding with the help of a restauranteur friend of ours - (almost 200!) and the instructions and she did all of the lovely, and painstaking work. I couldn't be happier!!!

My DH says the best Christmas gift he ever got was the year my mom and brother helped me "redo" his home office...it's amazing what a coat of paint, some organization and repurposed items from around the house can do! ;)

sloanmama

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ohio
This is a great post for reminding us about giving at Christmas time or ANY time of year... Time is our most precious commodity... it's nice when someone spends TIME on/with us instead of just their money.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love gifts that are more like services. Last year DS washed my car once a month. Loved that gift, as it cost him nothing but an hour of his time, and I had a clean shiny car all year.

I would like a gift of help with the heavy work, and I would dearly love for me bedroom to be redone.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Has anyone read the book (you can also visit the site!) the 5 love languages?
I used to beat myself up about gift buying, I am terrible at it! I do not like shopping and find it almost impossible to buy 'things' for people.

My love language is 'acts of service', so this thread is really meaningful for me :)

I would really like for someone to do the laundry or clean the bathroom! THAT would be awesome!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Has anyone read the book (you can also visit the site!) the 5 love languages?

I'm so glad you posted this! Have been thinking about this book and was trying to remember the name of it. Want to get it for our family for Christmas.

This is an interesting thread to me also. This year I seriously want service more than anything else on my list. I always have some items I want (iPad but not this year), but really the thing I want most is "stuff done".

I know I can't get it unless I ask for a hired hand. I won't ever get it from DH (who is incredibly handy but a terrible procrastinator). He'll be happy to say he's going to do it and will have the best intentions, but it won't happen. I'm doing my best to make sure DS grows into a "handy" young man. That kid is a FINISHER, so in another 15 years I trust that if he gets good training with tools, he will come back home and help mom get her house projects finished! :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I did get stuff done. I am a lucky girl. I got the kitchen walls and cupboards painted! It took the whole week but it was the best gift. DH still has a couple of doors to paint to complete the task but he is in his most busiest season of the year. (He works for UPS) I must tell you getting this done is a great mood lifter. I deep cleaned the adjoining living room last week and even his mood was lifted.

It really is the unfinished things that get finished that makes homemakers the happiest.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Giving of your heart and time is always the best. The unfortunate part is that the kids are too busy and would much prefer the easy store bought gift.

My oldest son gives his father and I quarterly oil changes. He keeps track of it and calls us the week before to set up a date and time. We both really appreciate this kindness and it covers all gift giving holidays (Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Birthdays & Christmas).

I was cleaning my parents house weekly. Mom really appreciated it, but Dad was unbearable and began thinking of things for me to do in the garden and chicken coops. It became never ending, as he felt I had to do work for him equal to what I was doing in the house (for Mom). What started out as a good gesture costing me only one 1/2 day weekly turned into 3 exhausting days of demmands instead of gratitude. I had to stop.

I know how you feel. My DH works from 5am till 9 to 11pm 6 days a week. I can't get any help from the other kids. I've hired the kid across the street over the summer to help me but now he's working elsewhere.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm more for time spent together than any material gift!

Last year for my sis- I took us to a spa for an hour each: facial and massage. Afterwards we went to lunch. It was THE BEST!!!!

I always want these kinds of things but usually get bath baskets........

When I was teaching, I saw a friend had gotten a gift of homemade cookies- given once a month for the entire year. The gift included little cut outs for each month with the type of cookie they were going to get. I thought that was soooooo clever!!!

VERY GOOD POST TOPIC!!!!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
annie i agree with you about the spa idea. I would love to go to the spa just once and be absolutely pampered. The cookie idea is also a good one. I bake but seem to bake the same things all the time

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am loving the ideas here.

I have the idea of "borrowing" my dad's car. There is a service in town where you drop your car off and they wash and detail it for you. And then call you when it's done.

His car needs it. So, I thought I would tell him I need his car for the day and get this done and when I take it back it will be nice and shiny and vaccuumed!

I love the oil change idea too. Even for like me- I wouldn't change the oil but I could take someone's car in to have it done.

I loved happy2bme's gift to her inlaws. Homemade frozen lasagnas. What a gift!

Great ideas!

Annie