What I really truly would like for Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I lived with my Gran for a year before I got married, and then DFiance started to mow her lawn for her (the "boy" had stopped doing it - grew old enough for a real job in his mid-30s, and she couldn't find anyone else locally to do it for payment).

Even after I moved out, we kept doing it as she couldn't find anyone else (and I know she tried as she felt guilty about DH doing it). We'd also keep the 2 flower beds weeded, the shrubs trimmed, plant new bedding plants every season, keep the footpaths weed free, and then paint the 1 fence panel she has every couple of years.

Some years, our Christmas present to her was something material but she had all that she needed and wanted. So many years, it was a "voucher" for keeping the garden again that coming year, and a promise of some new plants in the spring (along with a box of Ferrero Rocher chocs - her fav!!). She absolutely LOVED getting that. She didn't want anymore "clutter" and having us coming and spending time with her, and keeping her garden neat and a bit cheerful, meant the world to her. And because she knew DH would be over reasonably regularly, she could get us to change light bulbs or screw things back together again, or other little odd jobs (she'd sometimes ask him to bring his toolbox, and we'd sometimes notice we'd need it next visit). And she could ask for a few bits of groceries as well when we came, especially as she started to get less able to carry them back from the shops.

And we always made time for a cup of tea and a chat. Gran kept a bottle of "Club" orange in the fridge for DH (he likes that kind, and doesn't drink tea) and NO ONE else was ever allowed to drink that and EVERYONE else who brought her shopping (occasionally my mum or aunt would bring her by car to the supermarket) would have to get it so she'd have it in.

I know that gift meant the world to her. Even if a regular committment isn't possible, a promise of a day's labour in spring to clear out the garden and do the digging etc, and maybe another day in summer or autumn to keep it clean and tidy after the season, would often be really welcome to older people. They often love looking out at their gardens (and have time to) but cannot do the heavy labour annymore themselves, and getting people in to do it is often expensive and not always available in any case.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Wings- That is so nice! What a wonderful gift and a way to spend time with your gran!!!

Annie