What Is Working For You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What is working for YOU in the kitchen?

For each of us, we have restrictions. I live in a vegetarian household. Some people have allergies to gluten or dairy or nuts. So, we each work with our limitations.

What works for me:

(1) To cook more than enough brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whatever at one time - enough for one week.

(2) When I make a stir-fry with LOTS of different kinds of vegetables, to put the leftovers into a soup. For me, the base of the soup is almost always V-8. Sometimes the base is a purchased vegetable soup, and then I throw in all the extra vegetables. That way, each soup is different. We like to eat soup A LOT in the winter. And it is really quick to heat up when you are starving.

(3) To keep the refrigerator and freezer kind of empty. Otherwise, everything gets lost.

So, what works for you?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I keep a little list of leftover's in my refrig. That way when I'm looking for something for lunch or a fast dinner I can plan before I open the door.

Once a week, we have leftovers for dinner. I just pull out all the leftover's, everyone can grab and heat what they want. Anything left finds the trash.

Once a week I also clean one shelf in the refrig. I never have to empty the whole refrig to clean it.

Dinners are one meat and at least two veggies. The easiest way I've found for menus is savingdinner.com, comes complete with recipes and shopping list.

I'm gluten-free so I only cook that way. I'm not going to cook two meals.

I always put the dishes into the dishwasher after dinner and set the timer so in the morning there are clean dishes. I soak any pan with baked on crusts with automatic dishwasher soap for at least an hour, then everything just wipes out.