What is your go to?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
From all reports this coming Summer will be a hot one for Australia.
I do pretty well feeding DH and myself in Winter, it is always good, warm comfort food.
I don't do so well in Summer, I am hot and bothered and find it difficult to find some inspiration.

What is your go to meal in Summer/warmer months?Please share.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Pasta salad, potato salad, sandwiches (egg salad, tuna salad). The crockpot is also a go to as it doesn't heat up the kitchen. There are lots of freezer meals for the cockpot you can make a head of time. Chicken tenders in the crockpot and made into a bbq sandwich is on the menu this week or next.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Put together tuna salad, egg salad, some veggies and cheeses on a plate and add some bread.

Or substitute cold cuts for the salads, add cheeses, pickled veggies and Italian bread and make your own sandwiches.

Or order take out one night with enough leftovers for another night;)

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Grilled chicken, steak and pork chops are always great with a salad, pasta salads, or
potato salads. You can change it up with different marinades and how you serve it…as a sandwich, on the salad, with pasta, on tortillas, or as is.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
These are some of my summer meals:
  • Chickpea salad sandwiches (Egg Salad recipe subbing with chickpeas)
  • Tuna sandwiches
  • Chicken Salad sandwiches
  • Ham Salad sandwiches
  • Mixed Green salad (with various add-ins like sunflower seeds, dried fruit, shredded/crumbled cheese, BLT salad, taco salad)
  • Fruit Salad (mixed fruit, watermelon and feta)
  • Cole Slaw (traditional, apple/pear added-in, broccoli slaw (shredded broccoli instead of cabbage)
  • Black bean and corn salad with tomato and avocado
  • Pasta Salad (Italian, Ham, cheese and peas)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
In the heat of the summer, I grill outside as often as I can. I also take advantage of my slow cooker, so as to not heat up the kitchen. I tend to make extra chicken, to use in sandwiches, cold plates, or on/in salads. I also frequently make chicken salad, tuna salad, or egg salad, which can be eaten in a sandwich or with crackers and a side salad. I also tend to keep a batch of Italian pasta salad in the refrig (it has pepperoni, salami, and mozzarella chunks in it, with other vegetables and an Italian dressing, so protein and veg all in one). Another go-to is a fruit plate with cottage cheese, served with a side of raisin toast with peanut butter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thank you all.
When you mention sandwiches are you talking about sliced (toast) bread or are you talking subs/bread rolls?
We don't use the grill (bbq) as often as we should, it is too hot for DH to be outside.
I think I need to use the instant pot more.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
When you mention sandwiches are you talking about sliced (toast) bread or are you talking subs/bread rolls?
For me, it could be regular bread, toasted bread, or a leftover hamburger, hot dog, or sub roll, whatever I happen to have on hand that would go well with what I'm making or that makes me think that it would be really good (at that moment). As a single person household, I use what I have, and since buns typically come 8 to a package, I typically have some in the kitchen.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This is my "go to" dinner when it is hotter than heck- we get quite hot here in Southern Arizona-
and the heat of cooking anything is just too much.

A Ceasar Salad and shrimp cocktail.

I make all kinds of salads all summer long for lunches.
*The first and last salad of the season is always: Greens, Grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, blue cheese, candied pecans, chopped celery, poppy seed dressing. We call it "The salad"
* Taco Salad- Greens, taco meat, kidney beans, cheddar cheese, purple onion, tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips. Serve with salsa or Catalina dressing.
*Asian Chicken Salad- Greens, mandarin oranges, chicken, green onions, slivered almonds, cut pea pods or edamame, chow mein noodles or ramen noodles. Serve with Asian vinaigrette or peanut Asian dressing.
* Spinach, strawberries, chicken, blue cheese, slivered almonds with Strawberry vinaigrette.
* Greek salad with chicken or salami or summer sausage- greens, kalamata olives, cucumber, tomatoes, I found a tzatziki salad dressing- really good on this.
* Firebirds Restaurant (a restaurant here)- Greens, shrimp, candied pecans, strawberries, jicama, goat cheese, with a balsamic vinaigrette
* Pasta salad with chicken- pasta, steamed broccoli or cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cubes of cheddar cheese, black olives, Italian dressing.
* Deli Salad- Greens, salami/pepperoni/summer sausage, pepperoncini, chick peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, mozzarella cheese red wine vinaigrette. Got this one from Katie Lee/Food network.
* Chef salad- greens, tomatoes, cucumber, sliced deli turkey, sliced deli ham, shredded cheddar cheese, croutons, hard-boiled egg.
* Basic grilled chicken salad- greens, whatever veggies on hand, dressing of choice

I have already made all these salads so far this Spring/Summer.
I will start repeating and end with "The Salad."

Annie

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Such great ideas ladies!

Some of my favorites not mentioned are a couple different gazpacho recipes:
and a cucumber, honeydew gazpacho that I can't find the specific link to but there are many.

Also a chicken sandwich with cooked chicken, mayo and roasted red pepper on ciabatta rolls. The roasted red pepper makes it.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Because I get home later 2 nights a week in the summer, I rotate a variety of sandwiches and salads on those nights. Some nights I'll do a normal cold lunch meat sandwich and other nights I'll make my husband happy with a quick grilled sandwich with roast beef or ham and a variety of cheeses. I'll also rotate in Tuna salad or Italian subs to make them a little fancier for him. Then on the other night I try and make a salad. He eats alot of greek salads, but I've also been trying to save some steak when we have it and make us a steak and blue cheese salad. I'm easy, I'll have a kitchen sink salad and just toss in whatever I have in the fridge with some chicken and my favorite light dressing and call it good. Annie's salad list has me thinking about this weeks salad choice.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just made a delicious chopped salad for lunch....lettuce, cukes, peppers, banana peppers, provolone, salami, and pepperoni all chopped and tossed with dressing. You could add tomato and onion, as well. I used a bit of ranch....you could use your favorite. I made naan garlic bread on the side. So delicious and perfect on a hot day.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I know what salad has been on my list for awhile and I haven't made it this year.
From teachermomof2- It was one with a dressing that you combine bbq sauce and ranch.

Also buffalo chicken salad.

I have always wanted to try a panzanella salad with chicken.

Glad there are a few more weeks in the summer to try some more salads. :cool:

Annie

Last edited:
  • Love

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh, I am itching to try some of these. Luckily DH is not just a meat and potato guy. He is happy with some nachos or tacos, that sort of thing. He is most often OK with what ever I serve. He also cooks maybe 3 days a week so it will be nice for him to have a few more ideas on the rotation.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I like to keep precooked chicken slices in the freezer, Take chicken breast, slice across to get 3 to 4 slices, season and cook. Flash freeze and then place in the freezer. Perfect to reheat for sandwiches, salads etc.

If I know we are getting a heat wave I will or grill a big batch of chicken legs and thighs. make a big batch of macaroni salad and or a cold corn salad that we can pick at for a few days.

Meatballs, sloppy joes and tacos are other great make a head and freeze, reheats quickly.