What we are buying in 2023.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
As I am finally moved into my new house I am literally starting from scratch on stocking the pantry. What I am seeing in this endeavor is the very short Use by dates in so many stores these days. I use to be able to buy items with at least a year on the Use by date but here lately I'm lucky if I get 9 months. We are planning on hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve as well as Christmas Day here. Trying to coral my kids and their families all together on one day is the tricky part. I sent out requests this morning to determine whether the big meals will be lunch or dinner meals. Trying to work around shift workers and divorced families with children is challenging but we somehow make it work every year even if it isn't on the designated holiday. I'm stocking up on nice acrylic dinner plates (first year not using real china), beverages (alcohol and non alcohol), (I have more than enough dinner napkins), dessert plates and bowls, bakeware, hand soap, to-go clam shells (the kids always take home plates of food and treats), prizes for the games we play, broths, stuffing mix, condiments, etc.....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I'm stocking up on nice acrylic dinner plates (first year not using real china), beverages (alcohol and non alcohol), (I have more than enough dinner napkins), dessert plates and bowls, bakeware, hand soap, to-go clam shells (the kids always take home plates of food and treats), prizes for the games we play, broths, stuffing mix, condiments, etc.....
I honestly think that by having a long term plan really has helped me since COVID. If I cannot find an item that I need/want I have enough time to research and locate a substitute. There have been several instances where I have had to substitite an item either due to a shortage or the fact that I don't feel inclined to pay the price that they are wanting.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I think that I only have 12 more fortnightly shopping days left to get everything that is on my list. EEK.
Well, that makes it no fun when it's put like that! LOL!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pulled everything out of the totes yesterday and double checked the items and cross checked with the list in my planner.
Doing well. Still a few more items to get but they are on the lists for the next few shops. I need to make a note of what I do not need as I think that this will help. I tend to go a bit over board and end up with way too much. What is the point of all the planning if I don't stick to the plan?
I'm thinking of creating a "do not buy" list to take with me when I shop.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Grocery shopping this week was a shock with prices going up again.
Have sat with Mum and 'finalised' as much as we can menus for upcoming get togethers. I think we have the bulk of it bought and stored.

The supermarket wanted $7 for 6 small waffles. Mum dug out her old waffle maker and made a huge batch for a dollar or two. I have some in the freezer and will pull them out in October to see how they have stored. If they have done well Mum will make another batch to eat with fresh fruit and ice cream for Christmas Eve dinner.

Am making a list of what I need to start putting away for the long hot Summer. Got 4 cans of tinned corn put away from this weeks shop.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Grocery shopping this week was a shock with prices going up again
You’re right Katrina.

I’ve gone to 2 regular groceries over the last few days - Grand Union and Price Chopper - and I was shocked. Who can spend $4+ on an unnecessary jar of BBQ sauce?

The more I can make at home or make do without the more I will

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
You’re right Katrina.

I’ve gone to 2 regular groceries over the last few days - Grand Union and Price Chopper - and I was shocked. Who can spend $4+ on an unnecessary jar of BBQ sauce?

The more I can make at home or make do without the more I will
I said to Mum that even though we could probably afford to buy some of these items why would we? I am starting to think more and more...what would our grandmother have done here?

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
The supermarket wanted $7 for 6 small waffles. Mum dug out her old waffle maker and made a huge batch for a dollar or two. I have some in the freezer and will pull them out in October to see how they have stored. If they have done well Mum will make another batch to eat with fresh fruit and ice cream for Christmas Eve dinner.
I do the same. As a single person household, it's hard to make waffles for one. I found a small waffle maker on clearance at Kohls for less than $10 and I had either a 30% off coupon or Kohl's Cash to use up. After making a batch for breakfast, I finish using the batter and freeze the extras for another breakfast. They go from freezer into the toaster -- just watch your toaster so they don't get too dark. It has worked perfectly for me, and they definitely keep for a month or two.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I said to Mum that even though we could probably afford to buy some of these items why would we? I am starting to think more and more...what would our grandmother have done here?
And peopel wonder why I can so much, since I'm a household of one. I know my grandmother would have been frantically canning, even in the extreme heat we just experienced. Here's a recipe I'm going to try, since I refuse pay $2.75 for my favorite BBQ sauce (it's been going on sale 2/$5 all summer; it used to be included in the 5/$5 or 10/$10 mix and match sales). It's not that I can't afford it, but it's the principle. Yes, I can see a modest increast, but not 150% in 12 months!!!! I'm looking for a similar recipe that I can put up in quantity, but this will do for immediate use. and to keep on hand in the refrig.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It's not that I can't afford it, but it's the principle.
This is my thinking. DH and I earn a reasonable wage and do OK for ourselves. I am aware that I could increase our food budget and buy more expensive items but the way I do things serves us well and we really do not miss out in any way.
The bbq sauce recipe looks good. The Sweet Baby Ray's sauce here costs $7.50 a bottle so much more than I am willing to pay. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have 7 fortnightly shops left until Christmas. I think I have most things added to the lists but if I see them earlier at a good price I will buy then. I noticed yesterday that some Christmas items are becoming available in the shops, this is where I get undone with the impulse buys. I will need to really think about what I need versus wants.
I noticed that a lot of things have increased in price since last year. Chocolate advent calendars were $5 now $7. Iced ginger cakes that I like were $2 last year, saw them for $3.50 yesterday. If I want these things I will have to either increase the Christmas budget or take the money from other areas such as entertainment.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I also noticed that Christmas items were available at my local $Tree. From what I had read they only get seasonal items a month ahead but this year is really jumping it up.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just posted in the Friday 9/15 thread about a potential issue involving cards and gift wrap. Copying and pasting the info here, as an fyi.

Went to Target for gift wrap and a bow that is larger than anything I have on hand. Slim pickings. Then went to Party City, slim as well, but found something that will work. Made a comment to the Manager about their selection and her comment was, essentially, that they "have been getting very few shipments from our [gift wrap / cards] supplier and we can't get a straight answer as to what is going on." They've put out everything they have in those aisles and are hoping that it holds out as long as possible, cuz they don't know what's coming or when. She added that, from what she's hearing, "WalMart and Target have the same thing and we're all hoping it gets resolved before the holidays."

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, thanks for posting this. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on with the supply chains. I understand the Covid is still around but not to the extent it was in 2020 and 2021, so I would not think staff illness was a problem. It puzzles me why something like gift wrap would be in short supply.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori, thanks for posting this. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on with the supply chains. I understand the Covid is still around but not to the extent it was in 2020 and 2021, so I would not think staff illness was a problem. It puzzles me why something like gift wrap would be in short supply.
I don’t understand either. Unless they can’t find help. I wonder how the shopping experience will be as we get closer to Christmas. Will we not have to worry about the cost because what we want isn’t available?
I'm puzzled, too. I needed a larger bow -- not a huge one, but one larger than the largest in the assorted bags. The only one they had in the size I wanted was in red. No white to go with wedding wrap, no pink or powder blue for baby gifts, nada ... It's not the store staff that's the issue, it's that they're not getting their inventory and don't know where the cog is the supply chain is. Was there such a glut last year that corporate slowed their purchasing and it's now catching up to them? Is it a trucking issue, getting inventory from warehouse to store? From the supplier to the warehouse??? The store manager didn't know anything other than they're not getting shipments like they used to. I mean, there were only 2 birthday giftwrap patterns, and one had only one roll in it.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I thought to post this Saturday, but got busy and forgot. I know Lisa orders from Current. We may all need to check it out. They have free shipping through tonight. I think.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Did my stock up shopping trip on triple point day this week. It was painful! We are now stocked up for the winter and the best I could do at this point for the holidays. There were some things I couldn’t find. Hopefully they will show up in the next few weeks. There was only a few 1/2 gallons of 1/2n1/2 and that was it. I was about out so I got one. Remembered why I get the quarts. I can’t hang on to the 1/2 gallons. Will have to pour in a smaller container. I noticed very little bleach and sugar. I remember an issue with bleach but not sure what’s going on with sugar.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I remember an issue with bleach but not sure what’s going on with sugar.
Sugar is in short supply here too. DH picked up a 2 kilo bag for me which gives me 8 kilos here in the stockpile. I am not sure what the issue is.