Whats your decorating Style for Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Just curious what everyones decorating style is for Christmas...

I would love to here more about how everyone decorates there home for the holidays.

Personally I love anything old..LOL I love antiques, primitives (original and repro.) and anything shabby chic.

So thats how my home is decorated even during the holidays.

I love primitive snowmen.. (some of my favorites are by honey and me)

At Christmas you'll find my house decorated with lots of clears lights and greenery. Old rusty bells, homespun ribbon, lots of berries and grapevine... Oh and of course lots of Prim snowmen. :haha:

This year I will be decorating my bedroom tree in shabby chic so Im excited to see how that turns out.

Im working on some ideas for new themes for the kids trees I want to do something new for them this year.

Anywho theres a little about my Christmas decorating how about you?

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I have to say - I don't have a specific style...

I have collected my christmas decoration for years and each year new things will be added. Furthermore I love doing handicrafts and christmas is ideal for that. I love to distribute decoration stuff in the whole appartment so that you find something in nearly each corner.

For this year I already have some ideas, eg hand-made christmas stockings or buddha-nuts with small nativity scene in it.

Chilli

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
I change the theme on my main trees every year. This year the living room will be a winter wonderland and the dining room will gold, bronze and brown. But I always have my nutcracker, angel, snowman and gingerbread collections all over the house

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
We have yet to have a theme and have just used all the ornaments and decorations we have but I think this year we are going to try and do a Snowman theme if all goes well.

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
Jacki.....You're house sounds just like mine. Lots of prim, antiques, folk art. Whatever you want to call it but I love it. We always said it was because the kids couldn't do any real damage to it!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
qltmrkt said:
We always said it was because the kids couldn't do any real damage to it!

I know how that is I have five kids ages 9 and under....LOL :haha:

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My style? That's hard to pinpoint exactly, I just know that I'm not very good at doing "elegant". I have many themes throughout the house (a santa collection, snowmen, a flamingo tree, a gingerbread village, a candy jar collection). I like to come up with new ideas all the time and I make a lot of the decorations. Since I redecorated my kitchen and front room in a coastal theme I've been doing that for the past two years in those rooms. After doing Gingerbread in our family room for six or seven years I'm looking through my boxes of old stuff and I will be going back to a more Lodge look (it goes better with the two lovely deer heads my husband has to have on the wall). I go through phases like one year I will want all the red to be bright red and then I get tired of it and go back to a more burgandy red. I have way too many decorations, but I just can't help myself because like you, I am a Christmas Nut. But one thing stays year after year, my Dickens Village which I started the very first year the came out.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My style is Teddy Bears. I start with my antique sled and dress up my bears in their winter wear. The tree is covered in bear ornaments (mostly gifts). I also use gold ornaments and favors from my wedding (burgundy and green) on the tree.

I have a teddy nativity, teddy bear stocking for my son, teddy bear hand towels and teddy bear winter figurines. You can get the idea by now.

I do lots of gold accents in my tree and in my tabletop decorating--ribbon and such.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Everyone's decor sounds so great! That's my problem! I love everything! But this year I would like to try something suessical for the boys room! I'm really drawn to the less traditional colors of Christmas- light green, pink and earthy blues! :haha:

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks to everyone whos responded I love hearing about everyones decorating... Really puts me in the Christmas mood~

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well mine is the same every year (but I add new things)... red and green and gold mostly. The ornaments in the tree are mostly figurines (it's the 2 kids ornament collection mostly now). I have a corner nook in the kitchen where I have a small collection of Santas (country).

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
What a fun thread! I was going to start a decorating thread today-brilliant minds think alike! LOL!

I always have an overall theme for Christmas-gifts, decor, etc..then sort of sub-themes for each room, which work off the main theme, however loosely. Clear as mud?

This year my main theme is "The Heart of Christmas". I took this from our church choir's program last year, because I absolutely love the idea of it...and my word for 08 is Heart!! See how this works?

So, to answer your question-I decorate in a country style mostly, with some twists!

My kitchen is French Country-my favorite!! Last year I used black, white and red in there...which matches the everyday color scheme of yellow walls with black and white toile curtains, black and white checked fabric used on the corner china hutch, and red, green and yellow accents. I've added in some pumpkiny color this last year...love it with the yellow! I have fall year round in my kitchen! Last year I used a white 6' tree with white lights, redbirds, beads and berries, black soft satin bows (wide) to tie on red glass balls, and black and white checked bows tied on the branches. I also had a small (2') tree on top of the fridge with tiny little black and white checked bows and rooster and chicken ornaments! I loved it! I've been collecting chickens and roosters for over 25 years, so it fit right in. This year? I'm thinking a total repeat of last year, with some red hearts thrown in on the tree! Here's a picture from last Christmas:

Kitchen Tree

My living room is more English Country-chintz, flowered fabrics, etc...with greens, reds and yellows. I always do the main tree in there in snowmen/winter. I have been collecting snowmen for 10 years, so I have several of those, as well..then I fill in with "tufts" of snow-cotton batting-on the branches, glass and acrylic icicles, syrofoam "snowballs" and even stuffed snowmen. I bought a bunch of the stuffed snowmen from the dollar store when my boys were babies so that they could enjoy the tree, too, and they were such a hit that I've continued to use them. I've added things like a wired snowflake garland and some frosty beaded garland...whatever I can find that looks snowy or icy. We use multicolored lights on that tree, and it's always a favorite...but it's certainly not elegant! It's fun!!

I try to put my nativity sets (another recently started collection) in a prominant spot...usually on the coffee table with a burlap "tablecloth"-just a length of burlap draped on the table. And, I always have a 6' slim tree in the corner by the fireplace with only jingle bells on it. This is my year round tree-it stays up year round. It has white lights on it.

Each child has their own small tree that they may decorate however they please-DS15 has Coca-cola; DS8 has John Deere; and DS6 usually has a sports theme.

I have a wall tree in the hallway, and this year my plan is to use antique Shiny Brite ornaments, if I can find enough to fill it. I'll be looking for those in local flea market and antique stores this summer and fall. I have a few already, including the ones that were on DH's parents' first tree together. Sweet.

In our bedroom, I have a romantic French Country theme...a 6' tree with white lights, ivory roses, pearl garlands and gold bows and ornaments. I also have one in the bathroom-another favorite. Here's a picture of it from last year:

Bathroom Tree

The rest of the bedroom gets ivy, ivory roses and gold ribbon draped everywhere-windows, mirrors, closet doors...here's a look at the wreath on the closet door from last year:

Closet Door

Ok! Do much information? Sorry-I do love to go on about Christmas decorating. I expect to do much the same this year as last year.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I have been working on my theme for this year. I am using gold and white and the theme Heaven and Nature sing. I have already picked up some things from Hobby Lobby and I am using my evening to decide how I am going to do the rest of the apartment.
All of the ideas I have read sound really great. :bigsnow:

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Cathymac~ your home sounds wonderful.... just reading it makes me feel all Christmassy.. I love holiday decorating!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Me too~ Love the pics... Would love to see more :haha:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My Christmas decorating "theme" is hard for me to really sum up with one phrase.

It definitely leans more to "elegant" but it is not super formal either.

I use a variety of color themes depending on which room I am decorating in, and I use different Christmas themes in the rooms as well.

One room may have alot of reindeer accents and ornaments, another is a woodsy/natural theme, still another with cardinals, and so on...

I use alot of lights, not only on the trees but entwined with garlands, swags, puddled in crystal dishes set high on kitchen cabinets, etc.

I have a huge ornament collection and 5 trees that I display them all on - and I'm looking to add up to 2 more trees this year! :grin:

So I guess if I had to sum things up I would call me style...are you ready for this?

Ahem...

Old Fashioned, Classic Elegance with elements of Country

That is a mouthfull!

All I really know is, I am constantly planning for and tweaking my decorations every year. I am never satisfied, and I have alot of fun playing with different ideas and variations on our "look" every year!

It is one of my favorite parts of the holidays!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I tend to lean toward red, green and gold in my decorating. I have a serious Santa collection that gets spread throughout the house in small vingettes. I use a lot of greens, pinecones, red berries and ribbon with the santas, with candles, on the window sills and also on the mantle. My kitchen is usually done in gingerbread, complete with little kitchen tree. My dr is a bit more formal with greens, berries and red toile to match my curtains. The LR is classic/traditional, although the tree is a total collection of the kids' and our ornaments. I use gold beads and red bows on it to tie it together. I have a small country tree in the upstairs hall. It kind of meshes because of the repeated use of the greens.

We've been searching for a new home and one of the first things that comes to mind is where will the trees go? :grin:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
A natural approach! I love evergreens, berries and red dogwoods - lots of deep red flowers with white and greens. Clear lights with hints of silver. ::eek:rnament:

However, my tree looks like a Vegas light show - thanks to three boys and a husband! LOL :haha:

It is a mixutre of blue, green and reds - one colour for each boy. One son loves Nativity, another animals and the third nutcrackers, so that is on there too. The star fades in and out of cool white and blue. The lights fade in and out of blue, green and red. Sometimes this fade makes it look purple and orange too! :slap:

I control the lights on the outside a little better! I have LED 'candles' in each window, big evergreen wreaths on the doors, evergreen and twig's display in the urn's and window boxes (this includes white LED twinkle stick lights). Our two porches have white LED icicle lights along the eaves, and the three evergreens (one on each facing side of the house) are: one red, one blue and one green :LED large bulb lights.

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm enjoying this thread a lot. Everybody's ideas sound great. Somebody mentioned a thread for pictures of our Christmas decor in Dec, so I'd really like to see how these all look. Cathmac I hope you take lots of pics and everybody else too. Jackfrosty - I love your word suessical, (I call them grinchy) those colors are really fun.