When do you decorate for fall?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I always decorate for fall in September. Pumpkins, dried corn cobs, leaves, etc
For this year I also sew a quilt with fall colours - I hope it will get ready until
September/October

Chilli

rachelw713

Retire Member
Mar 12, 2008
I usually start with my fall wreath and a few mums as soon as the pretty ones are out in early September, then I add everything else around the end of September. Have to work around the football schedule.

This year, DH has a new job, DD is starting kindergarten, and I am also a first year teacher, working on my Master's! Lots to do, and lots of new changes. DH promises he will help out, but it may all be a Labor Day weekend project!

Still can't wait! :hat:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm growing pumpkins for the first time this year!

:grin:

I've got 9 plants going and they are looking pretty good!

I'm hoping to have a TON of pumpkins to decorate with!

I also bought 5 mum plants yesterday and potted them up and fertilized them - they are just little guys right now....

I can't wait!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I decorate the weekend Fall begins. I use faux pumpkins and gourds, fall garland, orange lights and I like to display fall floral arrangements. I also like the smell of scented candles all over. Another thing I like to do is simmer a small pot of sliced oranges and apples, and seasonings like ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon in some water.

When the days start getting shorter I put my electric candles in the windows and set them on timers. I set them to go on about 1/2 hour before I arrive home from work. I love to see the glow of the lights as I pull up to my apartment. I've noticed in recent years that a lot of my neighbors are starting to do the same thing.

I also change out the bed and bath linens (especially the bath) with fall tones. I pull out my faux mink throw and lay across the foot of my bed. I change out the candles in my wall sconces and dining table to burgundy, amber and olive green colors. I cover my dining room chairs (which are white) with burgundy velour chair covers. I even put lower wattage bulbs in some of my lamps and add shades to the chandalier in the dining room.

This year I want to change the curtains at my patio door/windows. The problem is the width of the patio is 14 feet and the really nice curtains that I've seen are very expensive.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I was wondering when I could put out fall stuff. Today it is only going up to 73- two days ago it was 90 degrees outside. I think I will wait until the kids are back to school. They go back the day after Labor Day. So perhaps the second or third full week of school.

This year I am substitute teaching so I am not sure how much I will be working. September is usually slow from what I was told. So I should be able to get it worked on.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I bought a few things last week that I put on the entertainment center. I still have more to go, but will wait until sometime in September. I'm so ready for fall. At a rummage sale on Saturday, I got two sitting scarecrows for $1! I was a happy camper. Now, if I can just get my Christmas shopping done, I'll be an ecstatic camper!! :rotflol: :hat:

:bigsnow:

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Labor day weekend I will put out my halloween department 56 villiage. I always put them out first (as with the Christmas one) because being so expensive I can't see only having them out one month (thats my exuse to everyone around me anyway that thinks I am a bit crazy with holidays!)

The rest I will do the end of September.

Can't wait for next weekend so I can start a little fall decor!

Kelly :jack:

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
Actually... I already started.. it really feels like fall here in the Netherlands... so I painted a wall in a warm orange colour and got my leaf-tea-lightholders out of the closet.. and I added some cosy pillows in brown and orange...very comfy...

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Our neighbors went down to our farm in the river bottoms and brought my boys a treat back...two ORANGE pumpkins!! They are sitting on my front porch right now!

I have a long list of chores for the front porch for HGP, then I'll decorate after it's cleared off and freshly painted! I am going to start on it all next Monday...first day of HGP for me (I only do bare minimums on Sundays...)

dancingelf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
West Virginia
For outdoor decorations, I use red, white and blue/Patriotic decorations for Summer, beginning mid May. I used to wait until after Labor Day to get the Fall stuff out; now I wait a few more days, leaving the Patriotic things up until after September 11. My indoor Fall decorations come out just after that.

pjadams49417

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Labor Day or sooner. I'm redoing the front porch this year. For a while I had cut back, just putting 2-3 mums and a couple pumpkins on the porch but this year I'm feeling extravagant! I think there'll be a rustic container of wild grasses, lots of pumpkins/gourds, and as many mums as I can afford. Can't wait to bring out my scarecrows!

I want to try these this year.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd70 ... stack2.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd70 ... stack1.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd70 ... 7/pine.jpg

Labor Day weekend is always our local nursery sale so I'll get small bushes to keep potted on the porch through winter.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Love the pumpkin toparies...I'm planning on doing a couple of those myself for the front steps or maybe beside the front door...love the three colors of stacked pumpkins, as well...I could do that...

momtomaddie

Retire Member
Jul 17, 2008
East Central Indiana
I just started to decorate a little last evening. I would usually wait longer but I couldn't wait anymore! We do a lot of auctions and we came accross a few of those cheap benches you find at walmart. The black metal ends with the wood boards that go accross, anyways, I put it together yesterday. It was in trash bins when we found it. I re-painted the black metal ends and did the boards in a barn red. Looks really cute against my plain, old, black and white house! DH is not impressed, but I dont care! I love it!