When do you start buying christmas gifts for you childrens girlfriend/boyfriend

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
My ds17 and his girlfriend(16) just had their 1 year anniversary last week, but we really don't see her on a regular basis. She has come along with us for some family type things, but mostly they only see eachother at school, go somewhere with their friends, and sometimes he goes to her house. Do I start buying a Christmas present now since he has known her for so long? If so, any ideas... do I just get a little something, or do I get something bigger?? Having all boys, I have no idea what to get a teen girl.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I will be buying gifts for ds's girlfriend & dd's boyfriend.. but $20 or max. $25 is good... thinking probably gift cards to a restaurant or gas.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I like the idea of getting them movie tickets or something like that that they can use together.

Places like LUSH have nice Christmas gifts for under $25. Most girls that age like bath bombs and such. You could also do up a small basket with some chocolates, candy, and maybe a nice scented candle or a Christmasy lotion or something like that.

My boyfriend's parents used to get me things like a Christmas ornament, a candle, bath stuff.

Don't feel like you need to spend a lot. I think at that age it's more about a token to show that you recognize the relationship is important to your son and that you want to include her.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I agree since they have been together for a month, but not very serious, a small gift would be nice. A gift card for her or something she can use w/ DS or her friends (movie GC) would be nice. Maybe a bath item, fun jewelry or nail polish would be good.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
As the mom of 3 sons I didn't buy Christmas gifts until they were engaged. You can however get her a nice scarf and cool socks or something simple like that if you think that she will be around during the gift exchange or if she buys you guys a gift. If it's just between her and your son then you need to let your son decide the gift from him.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I think a nice pair of fuzzy socks and a gc for a pedi or something is nice....or a gc for a place to eat/gas is always nice.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Good suggestions!

I'm facing this for the first year. Of course DS is 31. DGF's birthday is the same day as mine and I asked DS for suggestions. He suggested Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice set - which I got. I'm doing Hanukkah too - little things. This is the first time DS has ever had a relationship like this so I might be going overboard....

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Of course, my DDs are too young for this as yet but I imagine I will treat it much as I do other close family members with a significant other. I say it never hurts to give a little something, especially if you will see them over the holiday.

My granny told me any time one of her kids brought home a date or boyfriend/girlfriend she always pictured them as a potential son or daughter-in-law because you just never know.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DD19 and her BF had just started dating last year a couple of weeks before Christmas, so I didn't get him anything, but this year, I will, even if we don't see him at the holidays because they will have been dating a little over a year.

When DS and DDIL were dating, they started dating in May and I included something for her the first year, too. I think I got her a sweater and some flannel pajamas or a gown. That's been 11 years ago! She's the only girl he ever dated, so I didn't have a new girl every year at Christmas that I had to buy for.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'd say a year is a pretty good bench-mark for a Christmas present if you have met her (perhaps not if you'd never met her). I think a gift certificate to a nice/fun/interesting restaurant would be a great choice. My parents did not do this with my DH til we were married and although Dh certainly never said anything, I found it rather awkward because his parents always did something for me. It's kinda funny too because I came from more of a Christmas family than he did. :)

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas. i'm writing all of them down for her birthday too.
A while ago, I had seen Costco sells a package of two movie tickets for $15.00 and thought that was a great deal for when they want to go to the movies, then completely forgot about it. I think I will get a pack for both of them and maybe make a little stocking for her with a few of the other items mentioned. Thank you so much for the help :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My son is 17, I help him make or purchase a gift (small) for his female friend - but I do not give one to her (them).
I think for me it would be different if she was at our home during the holidays I would pick her up something, or make her a small gift.

Perhaps because I do not view these young relationships as 'serious' or long term? OR - I do not want to acknowledge (yet) that I share him with anyone :) I have never really given it much thought actually - may need to think about my motives more!

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
I looked for an event (open iceskate nights, the Santa Train, open ski/snowboard days, winter Lake Tahoe steamboat tours, Gingerbread Festival, etc.) where my sons could attend with girlfriends. I paid for tickets and food. It was easier for me to get them out of the house and to help them make a memory.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
You can always make her a little basket up with the fuzzy soxs that were mentioned, a few of the the smaller items from Bath and Body, nail files, Chap stick, bath spongy, that could all go in the stocking too. I use to get the movie GC like as been mentioned, bowling GC and gas and resturants are nice. Or to a beauty shop if you know where she goes. So many neat scarfs out there too like somebody mentioned.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Since she has not spent a lot of time with your family, I would recommend you ask your son if he is comfortable with you giving her a gift. Boys are funny about things like that sometimes - perhaps fearing you think it's more serious than he does. If he says go for it, there have been awesome suggestions which should be helpful in your gift giving choices!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
For my two older nephews (20, 21) after their one year together I bought their girlfriends bath & body sets. The following year I bought them pretty pj's and slippers.

This year my 21 y/o's girlfriend will get some makeup or a gc to Sephora as she loves makeup. My 20 y/o and his girlfriend broke up over the summer and now he's dating a new young lady. I haven't met her yet but if he brings her over for Christmas Eve, I will most likely have a little bath&body gift to give her.